Off the beaten path at Linville Gorge

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by jbrown5030, Sep 1, 2018.

1. jbrown5030

jbrown5030 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    Heading up to the Linville area tomorrow, and I have a couple of routes planned, but I was wondering if anybody knows of any good drives that are off the beaten path. Not really looking for any real off roading, but it'd be nice to find something other than BRP and wouldn't mind exercising the four wheel drive.

2. jbrown5030

jbrown5030 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    I don't know if anybody is interested in this sort of thing, but Old Highway 105 was a pretty nice drive if anybody is interested. I wouldn't say that you have to have four wheel drive to do it, but you probably shouldn't go if you don't have it and haven't gotten a recent report on road conditions. When we were there the road coming up from the south was ok for the most part, but it looked like some fresh gravel had been brought in recently. There were a few places where it was kind of washed out. On the northern end of it, there were lots of places where you had to pick your path carefully or risk bottoming out.

I went in search of some sort of "off the beaten path" kind of travel. I'm not looking for a real extreme off road experience, but I wanted some sort of drive where I could have some four wheel drive fun and go someplace where everybody and his brother weren't going to go on a holiday weekend.

For the most part, this trail was pretty unpopulated. The closer to Linville you got, the more people you saw, and at some point near the bottom there are cars parked all over the damn place for hikers that tried to drive up as far as they could get in their Subarus. The closer to the top, the less people you see. There were only two other vehicles at Wiseman's overlook, one of which was a 2500 so maybe it was one of you guys.

Here's a link from Google maps that I hope works.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/i/-cRn0

McBroom likes this.
  3. jbrown5030

jbrown5030 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
    IMG_20180902_145011884.jpg
    IMG_20180902_144707743.jpg

Firebird and TXCOMT like this.
  4. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    ^^that's beautiful country

Pull Ya, McBroom and jbrown5030 like this.