Oh boy... another wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADDgolfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, this has been asked till we're all blue in the face
but...
As many searches as I have read through, I've yet to find an after market harness, or preferably the identifying terminal, to pin into the existing truck supply harness?
Anyone find out the type of terminal pin used in this harness at the factory connection?
Confirm these are Apex 2.8mm terminals?

Here's why I ask
2003 Ram 1500
I have the full 7 pin setup, but it ends at the underframe connection behind my driver wheel well
Truck has the factory installed fuses and relay, the installed factory harness connection. Yet they finished it off with 4 pin harness?
Did it really save them money to stock both 4 pin and 7 pin on the line?

Like many, I installed a 7 pin connector that uses a 4 pin adapter with 3 loose pigtail wires. I ran a dedicated 12 gauge wire from the blue trailer brake wire at harness connection, to wire in my added 7 pin at the bumper.
I hated splicing into the factory wiring although it is done a lot commercially using heat shrink butt connectors for minor runs

I retired as an automotive electrician building fire trucks and emergency vehicle on mostly Freightliners. We did a massive amount of connections when wiring in lights and such.
The harnesses are full of untapped labeled wires, where we shrink butt connected appropriate loomed wire and finished with various tab locking connections. Any extensive equipment were wired with dedicated harnesses as IMHO towing connections should be.

OP
OP
ADDgolfer

ADDgolfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
YES something like that. I had searched and haven't come across that harness. Is there a link or name to it?
I can see that connection would plug into the factory harness. If only there is one longer.
My connection, like most, is along the frame behind the front driver wheel well
if that is all that is available, I wouldn't have a problem splicing into it to add feet(instead of factory wiring)
Thanks