Oil and oil filter options....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all
I own a 2016 RAM 1500 Lonestar 5.7 Hemi 2WD, and I want to start doing the oil change on my own instead of having it done in a shop, so far nothing has happened, but I would like to start doing it my self as I used to do it, and maybe ending saving up some money in the process. I currently have 30k miles on it, I DO NOT do any mudding or off-roading, nor any towing, just yet, so I basically cruise in it, and use for the every day come and go to work and around. For the last 2 oil changes I believe the shop have been using Valvoline 0W20 oil, should I be using same of the sorts or should I use something else (better) and what oil filter brand? Thank you in advance for your help!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They have an oil poll, check it out. Oil filter thread in my sig, must read! Oil poll top oils used by ram forum members in order goes Pennzoil (PUP and PP), m1, Amsoil, or Redline.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quaker State Ultimate Durability is rising in the polls! I've used it for 7,000-8,000 miles and am happy. It seems to have quieted down my valve train just a bit. It's cheap and readily available at Walmart too. Due to warranty issues, I'm running 5W-20 - though I'd really like to try 5W-30. Just converted to RP filters. Bought 6 or 8 of them directly from RP for a discount + free shipping. Initial impressions are the RP filters are far superior in terms of quality of manufacturing and materials.

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quaker State Ultimate Durability is rising in the polls! I've used it for 7,000-8,000 miles and am happy. It seems to have quieted down my valve train just a bit. It's cheap and readily available at Walmart too. Due to warranty issues, I'm running 5W-20 - though I'd really like to try 5W-30. Just converted to RP filters. Bought 6 or 8 of them directly from RP for a discount + free shipping. Initial impressions are the RP filters are far superior in terms of quality of manufacturing and materials.
Thanks for your input. I am running around 5k miles between changes; and since I live around 4 miles from work, and I change it based in the mileage not in the time frame, I am changing oil twice a year. Even at that time spam, I would like to still save money while at it...

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to all those who have given me advice, will go with the combo suggested by @Dawgn86 and blessed by @Burla I have already save them to my cart, just waiting to when it is time to do the change. Will update once is done.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for your input. I am running around 5k miles between changes; and since I live around 4 miles from work, and I change it based in the mileage not in the time frame, I am changing oil twice a year. Even at that time spam, I would like to still save money while at it...

Honestly for 5k miles, 6 month swaps, I would just go with conventional if you are focused on savings. If you use synthetic 5k miles is a waste of time and money. 8k is no problem for syn.

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly for 5k miles, 6 month swaps, I would just go with conventional if you are focused on savings. If you use synthetic 5k miles is a waste of time and money. 8k is no problem for syn.
I would say is a over 6 months, since my monthly mileage is not high at all, nonetheless, that being said, I then will start doing the change every 8k after the first change with the combo above.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here's the same oil in a similar engine, as in low rpm v8, and as you can see wear is good, but tbn is taxed at 5k miles, could this truck made it to 8k miles? My only point, every application would benefit from doing a uoa, so if you want a 8k mile strategy, I'd just suggest that is pretty reasonable, but also you will want to verify that at least once with a uoa WITH tbn. Or as an option dump a little tbn booster like bg moa at the 6k mile mark. I like the idea of picking what 20 dollar synthetic you can get off walmart shelf and going 5k miles. You can even use that RP filter twice. I just happened to get my PUP for 22 bucks and stocked up some. Keep a watch on amazon, you can get an oil imo that is a little better then the field for dirt cheap.

full-79156-34563-new_doc_2019_07_17_22.09.24.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They have graphs that show wear numbers when the oil is out of tbn, they go up exponitially.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
From what I have read on the various threads from this forum on this subject, about the best protection that you can give the 5.7 Hemi is Redline 5w30 oil (blue label) with a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter. The downside is it will cost you the better part of $100 per oil change doing it yourself. To me it's worth it as my OCI is only once per year (3K-5K miles).

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use Penzoil Platinum and recently bough a bunch of Penzoil Ultra Platinum from Walmart on line for $19.99 for 5 quarts. I use wix XP filters and change oil every 5,000 miles in summer and every 4,000 in winter. Mix 4 quarts of 5-30 and 3 quarts of 5-20. Have 99,000 miles and no hemi tick or noise of any kind. Also use half bottle of Bioteck moly each oil change. Same moly as in Penzoil oils. May seem excessive but the price of a new motor is not something I want to deal with. Frequent oil changes are a lot cheaper.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine