Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious if anybody has successfully installed an oil catch can on a Gen 3 Hemi. Given that the PCV is definitely what I would call unique to any domestic vehicle I've ever worked on, I haven't got the slightest clue on where to start on an installation for this 5.7L.

I've been looking at installing a oil catch can on my truck for a few weeks now. Last night, I decided to figure out where, exactly, the PCV is located on the engine and made the discovery that wasn't in the line coming from the oil fill to the airbox like I had thought but to the right and back some from the throttle body. This definitely changes the plan I had to run it from the PCV and oil fill.

2011-02-03_121553_1.gif

Last edited:

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil catch cans are much more popular on the 4th gen Hemi, which I'm sure you know by now. I did see a setup for a 3rd Gen 5.7 on a different forum, the owner modified the PCV valve with a copper pipe, but I don't remember all of the specifics.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There's a reason you don't see them sold for 3rd gens lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure it's needed on the third gen, it's not a closed system iirc.

OP
OP
LoneWolf3574

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at one since there is a fine oil film throughout the intake coming from the oil fill (the resonator and throttle body). I cleaned them up some this weekend, but have no idea how the rest of the induction system looks since I bought this truck used. Ultimately, I want this can to prevent any further buildup after I get an induction cleaning done.

CatchMyDrift11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 MegaCab
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My intake on my 2008 Ram Hemi has a tube that runs atop the engine and feeds from the Oil fill, to the Intake air box. I switched over to a AirAid intake and for the past 2,000mi... I have not seen one drip of oil in the intake. If there was any oil it would have dripped onto the top of my filter. I checked that and there was nothing... Not enough to convince me to get a AOS.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a reason you don't see them sold for 3rd gens lol

This^ companies are now “selling” a catch can setups for 3rd gens but imo with the way our pcv setup is, it’s just a money gimmick for them since it’s big with the 09+ hemis but it just doesn’t do its job as advertised from what I’ve seen

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
i know this thread has been idle for a year now but why not just remove hose from intake,block the hole and put a 45 deg. hose on oil fill vent with a breather filter on top.im thinking its the way to go.if anyone has done this or can tell me why it wont work, please chime in.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
just came across some old threads where people have done this with their 3rd gens.it doesent seem to work too good if you have alot of blow by or a bad pvc system because it will leak oil.i do not and will be putting a breather filter on there asap.might have to clean or replace it once in a while but at least i wont have hot ****** air going into my throttle body.if the govt dont like it too ******** bad unless they want to clean my throttle body or spring for a new hemi.i mean i pd for a COLD air intake so why would i want to direct hot air there.i clean my throttle body so why would i want to direct dirty air there.o-zone schmo-zone!

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
well,it turns out the hose going from my oil fill to my cai tube is clean as a *****. i really thought it would have been just the opposite. i dident pull the tube off to ck. how clean my throttle body is however this does not not seem to be an issue after all.i believe i am going to scrap this idea and see if i can find something else to f with.maybe someones is not so clean and this will help.