Oil Change Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTGranite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
First off, Female here who’s not afraid to get her hands dirty but doesn’t want to do it myself. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie etorque that I’ve added a grille guard, small lift, bigger tire and a few cosmetics.

I’m in need of an oil change shortly. I’m having to make a two week long road trip in a week. I’ll hit the oil change mileage about 500 miles into my trip. I live in a small town and can get just a basic oil change no problem. But with getting to my 1 year anniversary with my new truck and about 13,000 miles, should I be taking it elsewhere for a more complete service and inspection? I do know it needs a few items at 20,000. As a general rule, I change oil every 5000 miles.

I have checked in with the dealer and they can’t fit my truck in. I will be staying a few days within a reasonable distance of a dealer. If I were your mother or sister who doesn’t live near you, what would you recommend?

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When out of town we always go to a dealership and for me that is because they have the oil filter we want, the SRT oil that we use and a place to put the used oil. At home we buy the filter and oil and do the change yourself, then take the used oil to a business in town that has a oil burning heater. As for other stuff to be done at certain mileage take a look at the service manual and it will tell you when other oils and checks need to be done or checked. For my truck all oils where required to change at 60,000 Kms, yours will be different.

Nice looking truck have there, hope this helps:)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, Female here who’s not afraid to get her hands dirty but doesn’t want to do it myself. I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Laramie etorque that I’ve added a grille guard, small lift, bigger tire and a few cosmetics.

I’m in need of an oil change shortly. I’m having to make a two week long road trip in a week. I’ll hit the oil change mileage about 500 miles into my trip. I live in a small town and can get just a basic oil change no problem. But with getting to my 1 year anniversary with my new truck and about 13,000 miles, should I be taking it elsewhere for a more complete service and inspection? I do know it needs a few items at 20,000. As a general rule, I change oil every 5000 miles.

I have checked in with the dealer and they can’t fit my truck in. I will be staying a few days within a reasonable distance of a dealer. If I were your mother or sister who doesn’t live near you, what would you recommend?
where at in montana?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Something isn't right with your math. If you do oil changes about every 5k miles, and you have 13k miles on your truck now, it seems like you're not due for another 2k miles, not 500 miles like you mentioned. :hmm:

Either way, there's nothing special that needs to be done at 1 year. You're fine just doing a basic oil/filter change. I would recommend full synthetic oil though. You might have to supply that to whatever shop you choose to use.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I crossed the 500 mile mark today, yay I’m broken in! Let’s see what she’ll do! I’m assuming you shortened your first oil change for possible break in contaminates? Why 3000 and not 500 after the break in? Or 2000? Or just let it roll until the indicator says to change it? Curious what others think here.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, call some local shops and see if they can get you in and have them put in full synthetic, I prefer PP or PUP and a quality filter, napa platinum etc. If they do not have access to those items then ask if you get them will do the change, bet they will.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I crossed the 500 mile mark today, yay I’m broken in! Let’s see what she’ll do! I’m assuming you shortened your first oil change for possible break in contaminates? Why 3000 and not 500 after the break in? Or 2000? Or just let it roll until the indicator says to change it? Curious what others think here.
Search that or create a new thread as to not hijack this one with answers that do not pertain to the OP’s issue.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4

Check your manual and see what else, if anything, is required at your mileage. If you have a local independent garage have them service it.
Some dealers and fast change places just love to sell you more service than you need. You NEVER need more than the manual sez. It's established by the engineers who design, build and test your Ram.

Gazoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Gas 6.4L V8
2022 Laramie 2500 (6.4L Hemi Gas) calls for 0W-40 full synthetic per manual. And surprisingly only 87 octane fuel.

HarryHL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use Amsoil, as they are the only oil producer that steps up to the plate stating that they meet and exceed Mopar specifications.
They produce oil for the entire power train, differentials, transmissions, transfer case, and a whole lot. Their website is very easy to navigate, and if you cannot find a dealer near you, they will ship it to you.

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With that low of mileage you can honestly change the oil, look at the pads and rotors through the rims to make sure theyre wearing evenly, and call it good The air filter can go to 20K miles so long as you dont drive dirt roads everyday. I wouldnt trust Monroe, Midas, Quicklube or any other chain service companies- way too many horror stories with those. If you cant find a dealer to do it I would bite thd bullet and change it yerself

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I’d get oil change now locally before trip. Go to a recommended local shop who will eyeball for obvious issues - it’s under warranty do if there’s a problem take it to dealer for resolution. When you get back, it’ll be time for a 5k change and vehicle inspection at your service center of choice. Easy peasy. Ask your dealer if you can bring the oil and filter in. Mine accepts such, charges me $19.95 to perform the service and does complete inspection everytime since I have the MOPAR lifetime warranty. Buy whatever 5w20 synthetic that’s on sale and preferably a purolator or wix oil filter if on sale. You’ll save a few $. You’ll be coming back at around 18k miles Which means that owners manual calls for air filter and cabin air filter replacement at around 20k. May want to just get them done at that time too. That’s about all you need.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2022 Laramie 2500 (6.4L Hemi Gas) calls for 0W-40 full synthetic per manual. And surprisingly only 87 octane fuel.
The 6.4's in the HD trucks are lower compression,then the 5.7's in the 1500's.

CRISTIANO DONA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.8

I do full synthetic oil and filter change every 10k miles. I use oil filters guarantee to work up to 20k miles.
Mine is a Limited 2019 38k miles so far.
I try to do all maintenance myself because I haven't found yet a dealer or mechanic that is worth my money.
I actually also have a Nissan pathfinder 4x4 2013 with 310k miles that I use to drive long distance around USA .

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

First, if you live in Montana you are one lucky lady!

Second. If I lived in Montana, I'd change it for you!

If you're looking for peace of mind and you trust your local person to perform the oil and filter change, I'd do that. Just use a good quality filter and oil (check your owners manual).

Bests,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70550 miles

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
With that low of mileage you can honestly change the oil, look at the pads and rotors through the rims to make sure theyre wearing evenly, and call it good The air filter can go to 20K miles so long as you dont drive dirt roads everyday. I wouldnt trust Monroe, Midas, Quicklube or any other chain service companies- way too many horror stories with those. If you cant find a dealer to do it I would bite thd bullet and change it yerself
This was my plan at 3200 miles took it to the dealership, next change at 10000 for the 10k check. Then every 7k afterwards. Kind of glad I did, they cracked my oil pan taking the plug out. They have had my tuck for the past five days waiting for a new pan. 100 % covered under warranty, and they gave me a rental. Not sure how this would have worked if I took it to a shop. I would do the first few at the dealership.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I’d have the oil changed now by your local service provider that’s done the previous service. At your mileage nothing needs to be done. Pretty much everything you’ll read is a “check” at 13k. You won’t be missing any required maintenance at this point. Enjoy your travels!

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Changing the oil is easy except the oil filter I cuss every time I change the oil. They have it above the electric steering in a small space, I put zip lock bag on my hand to catch the oil or makes big mess. Changed my oil yesterday and plastic bag had leak so my whole left arm was covered in oil and side. Penz ultra platinum is only oil. I use in my Ram with 8 Oz lubegard biotech so I get extra moly. My 13 still feels like new, zero tick.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I do the ziplock bag thing too. still some mess just not as much. get a filter that has a nut attached to the bottom and put an eazy drain fitting where the crankcase bolt goes to make thing easier next time. I use Mobil1 in all my cars/trucks/harleys for many years. If changing oil before a trip, I do it a cpl. days before so if screwed anything up I will know about it before I am away from home on the road. I also use a K&N clone air filter that I an clean every so often and reuse.