Oil Change at dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Might be a dumb question here, but I want to avoid even the slightest chance of voiding my warranty so I may want to get my trucks oil changed at the dealer. Actually, I'm weighing whether I should just do it myself or have it done there so that I can have a record of it. Would they have an issue if I wanted to use Redline and a Royal Purple filter if I brought it myself? Or do you think just keeping careful records and receipts and doing it on my own is safe to avoid warranty problems. I'm not going to go so far as to take video of my oil change with time stamps either.

I'd prefer to do it myself because unless I watch them I'd be worried they stick whatever crap they want in there and keep my redline.

2020 Ram 2500 CCSB Laramie 6.4, just picked her up Friday.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer said they will change it out with my stuff for around $15, which isn't bad.
BUT, I would buy at least 2 jugs of Pennzoil platinum, use it for the first change and ask for the jugs back.
Then refill with the oil of your choice and let them think you are using PP.
Filter isn't an issue, but I don't know if Redline paid to have their oil certified to the FCA spec.

OP
OP
R

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My dealer said they will change it out with my stuff for around $15, which isn't bad.
BUT, I would buy at least 2 jugs of Pennzoil platinum, use it for the first change and ask for the jugs back.
Then refill with the oil of your choice and let them think you are using PP.
Filter isn't an issue, but I don't know if Redline paid to have their oil certified to the FCA spec.
Thanks pacofortacos, that's a good idea. Redline states on their website 0W40 compatible with Chrysler MS-12633, would that be considered certified?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Compatible and certified are 2 different things.

To get the MS spec, you need to pay $$ and go through the testing.

It doesn't mean that the Redline oil would not pass the spec, just that they have forgone trying to get all of the different little spec certifications from every manufacturer under the sun.

I think there are very few oils that have gotten the actual MS testing done and the certificate to show.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I do all my own maintenance. I tear the top off the oil filter box with the part number on it; write the date and odometer on it, and staple a copy of the purchase receipt for the oil and filter to it. Stick it all in my file. That's pretty solid evidence should it ever come to that.

IMO not using certified lube is a greater exposure than who does the work. No matter who puts it in the crankcase, it's an easy exit ramp if they want to take it.

Nothing but Mopar filters and PUP in mine until the warranty is up.

"Compatible" is a weasel word used by companies that want you to believe it's OK, without having done the work to PROVE it's OK. Which is not saying the product is inferior. It may well be better. But if I'm paying big bucks on the one hand, and avoiding the opportunity for warranty uncertainty on the other, then it's going to be certified.

That's my .02

OP
OP
R

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Compatible and certified are 2 different things.

To get the MS spec, you need to pay $$ and go through the testing.

It doesn't mean that the Redline oil would not pass the spec, just that they have forgone trying to get all of the different little spec certifications from every manufacturer under the sun.

I think there are very few oils that have gotten the actual MS testing done and the certificate to show.

Unfortunately, it's becoming clear that I'm going to have to stick with the manual strictly. That being said, thanks for the tip on the oil filter, another good idea thanks guys.

OP
OP
R

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You also hear DOT compliant but not DOT or SAE
stay with test and approved
At least while I'm under warranty I will, been using mobile 1 forever but now that I bought my first brand new truck I'm finding myself less than knowledgeable about warranties lol. Appreciate the advise all around.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Changing oil more frequently to remove contaminants will be the most beneficial thing you can control in warranty. I never use 100 % of the oil life or change intervals from the manual. They can’t void the warranty for extra oil changes.

Those of us that are religious about the topic change a lot of lube after break-in. Differentials. Transfer case. Power steering. Transmission.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't really much matter what you do,when the time comes they probably won't cover your motor anyway.Too many outs for them.LOL.

Thomas Hernandez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just recently bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Liter. I love my truck and how smooth the ride is. I've had it about 6 months now, past due my oil change. What is the recommended oil and filter for my particular vehicle? The dealership said they would charge about $50.00 or so for the oil change. I thought to myself that's a little steep, but who knows. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just recently bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Liter. I love my truck and how smooth the ride is. I've had it about 6 months now, past due my oil change. What is the recommended oil and filter for my particular vehicle? The dealership said they would charge about $50.00 or so for the oil change. I thought to myself that's a little steep, but who knows. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.
Can't go wrong with PP or PUP, all I run in my dart 2.4, ram 4.7, and going to be running in 6.4. I think k&n filters are one of the best. But the MOPAR filter is more than enough. I run Mopar filters.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I have used mobil 1 full synthetic in all my cars trucks motorcycles for many years. a little pricier than dyno oil but seems to handle the heat here pretty well.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I suggest you change the oil ASAP before you clog up your lifters, and 50$ isn’t high (in my personal opinion) but i would never go to the stealership because i have a constant thought in the back of my head that they’re using some **** conventional oil and charging you extra because how are you gonna know? I suggest (if you do it yourself) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, or Redline. Amsoil if you want a 100$ oil change lol. Regarding filters i only use Mopar oil filters on my 4.7, but i’ve heard that Fram Ultra Synthetic is the best money can buy. I’m gonna try it next time. (DO NOT BUY ANY OTHER FRAM FILTER ASIDE FROM ULTRA SYNTHETIC!!!!!!)

Sent from my iPhone XS Max in my 2013 Magnum 4.7L V8

morriLinda1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might be a dumb question here, but I want to avoid even the slightest chance of voiding my warranty so I may want to get my trucks oil changed at the dealer. Actually, I'm weighing whether I should just do it myself or have it done there so that I can have a record of it. Would they have an issue if I wanted to use Redline and a Royal Purple filter if I brought it myself? Or do you think just keeping careful records and receipts and doing it on my own is safe to avoid warranty problems. I'm not going to go so far as to take video of my oil change with time stamps either.

I'd prefer to do it myself because unless I watch them I'd be worried they stick whatever crap they want in there and keep my redline.

2020 Ram 2500 CCSB Laramie 6.4, just picked her up Friday.
If you want warranty you must do maintenance according to service book. Dealer must use only OEM parts

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't do it myself,have the dealer do it to my 2020 Ram 1500.I have the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on mine,cheaper to it there than me buying the oil and filter for it.Plus they have it on record the oil has been changed on time

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
I don't do it myself,have the dealer do it to my 2020 Ram 1500.I have the lifetime bumper to bumper warranty on mine,cheaper to it there than me buying the oil and filter for it.Plus they have it on record the oil has been changed on time

Tell me more about this lifetime bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer...

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Wish i could qualify for that, too bad my truck is 8 years old and would probably cause any ram dealer to have a heart attack from how many miles are on her..

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tell me more about this lifetime bumper to bumper warranty from the dealer...
It covers any of the drivetrain,electrical,etc except tires and brakes.The work has to be done by an ASE certified mechanic at the dealer

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
It covers any of the drivetrain,electrical,etc except tires and brakes.The work has to be done by an ASE certified mechanic at the dealer

How is "lifetime" defined? Was it dealer sponsored or an aftermarket company? What is the deductible? How much did it cost? Does it have a name?