Oil change frequencies and warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Archer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys,

I'm going to a dealer tomorrow. However before I go, I checked the carfax report of the RAM 1500 I'm going to test drive. It only shows 1 oil change @ 5000 miles. And the current odometer reading is 18000 miles. The dealer said there is no other document proving maintenance/oil change between these mileage.

My question is, could this affect the remaining warranty? If the engine goes wrong in the future. Could factory refuse warranty repair based on this history? Thanks!

Buckeye2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Cummins
Engine
Most folks like doing their own oil changes and if the original owner did that it would not show up. Also look at it for normal wear and tear. Just don't be excited on getting a new truck. Do you due diligence as a cunsumer. Tell them to change the oil before you take it home. Cause as soon as you drive it off the lot well it's not there head ack any more now is it.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Based on history? No. Many people still change their own oil, or have it changed at chain shops or local, small-town shops; none of which typically report oil changes to any system that Carfax (or equivalent) has access to.

They could refuse if they find evidence inside the engine showing lack of oil change/maintenance, but they would have to provide evidence, otherwise you could take them to court over it.

Check the oil on the dip stick. If it looks good, I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks bad or otherwise gives you a bad feeling, then steer clear. As Buckeye stated, don't get caught up in the "new truck excitement" and skip the basics. Check it over thoroughly, maybe even test drive it down to a shop you trust and have them perform a "new car inspection." Shouldn't cost much, and they'll get it up on a hoist and check things more thoroughly than you can on the ground.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
not sure you can tell much about oil just by looking. really need to a lab to tell you what you ned to know.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have them send an oil sample to Blackstone labs or whatever lab they use to help determine the internal engine components for wear metal.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what year is this truck? it was probably just changed by the owner or some shop that didn't/doesn't report it so i wouldn't worry about it. even if it wasn't changed these trucks can go 10k miles between changes now which would put it over but i still seriously doubt it did any harm unless that oil has been in there for a few years

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
carfax is a JOKE. its only as reliable as the shops reporting it and many dont.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
carfax is a JOKE. its only as reliable as the shops reporting it and many dont.

This. You can't trust it. Only sure fire thing you'll know is how many owners it has had, which can also indicate something fishy

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Have them send an oil sample to Blackstone labs or whatever lab they use to help determine the internal engine components for wear metal.

I doubt a dealership is gonna do or allow that. Besides, average turnaround at Blackstone is 14 days for a sample test and report. They can do quicker for an up charge but once again, a dealership more than likely will not play that game.

That being said, I still think the risk is low for the OP and if me, would press the selling dealer to throw in an oil change before delivery.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah- send the oil sample to a lab. never heard of such- and till the sample comes back, the truck is sold.
what is the definition of good or bad oil? light or dark? oil after 6000 miles is dark. even after 4.
This truck has a oil quality sensor. The sensor works in a way, that it measures the time how long the oil needs to heat up and cool down. it's a defined time frame where the oil has to be on a certain temperature. this is the indicator of your oil quality display in the center of your monitor. there it says good to change. there is also the indicator, how many miles the oil is in, if reset. No matter what anybody does- if you drive and the sensor indicates, the oil is thicker (dirty) and heats up and cools down to slow, it will show in this display.
Check the display and if it's ok- if you're insecure make a picture and date it- don't worry.
If you want to- and that's what I did- make an oil change immediately or let them do an oil change before you buy it. Usually they give you up to 4 complimentary oil changes- if they don't want to work it in, use one of them up.
Other than that- frankly- if you really don't want to destroy something by intention- I don't think that a truck with 18k miles has a problem.
I know to be cautious, but if you're too picky, you got to buy new. There is always a risk to buy used. that's what the insurance and warranty is for.

good luck.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Also, if he is buying it used from a RAM dealership, I think the question of warranty work and oil changes for the missing 13K miles would be nil. If he is buying from a non FCA dealership, then it "could" be an issue but still remote.

chris1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, if he is buying it used from a RAM dealership, I think the question of warranty work and oil changes for the missing 13K miles would be nil. If he is buying from a non FCA dealership, then it "could" be an issue but still remote.

I had somebody, as I sold my '83 Ford Capri 2.8i.
The car was in outstanding condition and he wanted to drive to a shop to check it out- I said ok. then he wanted to go to the car club shop - I said OK. Then he wanted to go to a adjuster checking for accidents. that's where I asked him, if he's aware that he's buying a 15 year old vehicle with 140k miles for 5000 bucks. I told him, both- shop and car club said accident free, the contract says accident free as known as long as the vehicle was in my possession etc...- he said he need to check out. well- while we was standing on the parking lot and discussing his issues, a guy came up and asked if I want to sell the car, I said yes- he- how much? I- 5000- he said ok- I take it.
The face of the first guy: priceless. :peace:

Not dealing with that crap no more- you want it or you don't. that's it. and I'm pretty sure, the dealer thinks the same way.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you the last couple of Ram's I have owned do not show any of the oil changes performed on the carfax. The reason why...I did them myself. Carfax, as others have said, is not the end all be all to the vehicles full history. Just keep an ear for any noticeable noises and feel how it drives.

CowboyBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
what year is this truck? it was probably just changed by the owner or some shop that didn't/doesn't report it so i wouldn't worry about it. even if it wasn't changed these trucks can go 10k miles between changes now which would put it over but i still seriously doubt it did any harm unless that oil has been in there for a few years
I think that going by % oil life is a mistake. Think of watching a loved ones heart rate on the monitor get slower and slower believing that at 30% oil life remaining is still ok. It isn't hours but clogging of the oil filter %. Conventional oil should be changed at 3000 miles and synthetic at 5000.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I think that going by % oil life is a mistake. Think of watching a loved ones heart rate on the monitor get slower and slower believing that at 30% oil life remaining is still ok. It isn't hours but clogging of the oil filter %. Conventional oil should be changed at 3000 miles and synthetic at 5000.

Your analogy is a lot of nonsense in relation to the OLM percentage remaining and remaining oil filter efficiency.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
That is outdated oil change info based on old oil specs.
Even modern day conventional oil will last longer in an engine than most of the older synthetic oils. The advancement in oil technology over the years has developed oils with additive packages that will last week beyond 5000 miles.

Oil life monitor in my ram is 12000 km, it's went to 15000 because of being on the road traven 1/4 way across the country. Oil coming out still looks and smells fine, just slightly darker than it was when new. Blackstone oil analysis shows it still has plenty of live left in it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's more of engine development changes that allow longer oil changes - a lot less friction internally vs. older engines.

The specified long oil changes are for "cost of ownership" metrics and to just at least keep everything going until the end of the warranty period.

Sure a premium oil can go longer if mixed with a premium filter, but all synthetic oils are not the same nor are all filters.

Also, one has to consider the usage of the truck. 5000 miles in town/short trips/stop n go/towing is a lot harder on the oil than a strictly highway 5000 miles.

From my owners manual.
Severe Duty All Models Only
NOTE: Change Engine Oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) if the
vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment
or is operated predominantly at idle or only very low
engine RPM’s. This type of vehicle use is considered
Severe Duty.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For peace of mind . . . and if the stealership wants the sale, ask them to change the engine oil, front and rear diffs and T-case, then do a full vehicle inspection. It’ll take them as long to do those jobs as it’ll be sitting in the finance/sales office doing all the paperwork anyway. Then by the time both sets of jobs are done, have documentation of services rendered on paper along with your sales contract.