Oil Change Interval?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speaking of services.... I'm at 5,000 miles and the oil life still says it has 43% life... is that really how long you can wait between oil changes?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What does your dealer say about service intervals?

The owner's manual has a recommended service interval at the back. I use the schedule that fits my driving environment.

I would not assume that the gauge is accurate nor linear. Rather, it may drop quickly from 43% to some value way lower within only a couple of thousand miles. My fuel filter gauge is like that.

When I ran the 6.4L gasser, I did oil changes with full synthetic every 6K miles. Dealer said I could go 7500 with no problem.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As states above, you can go 7500 on full synthetic with no problems. If you do a lot of short trips, idling or it's parked for long periods, I wouldn't go longer than 6 months regardless of miles.
The Oil Life Monitor take into account, engine run time, engine temp, engine rpms, etc. but it doesn't take into account length of time like months.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I noticed my oil temp was at 230* is that normal operating temp.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do 6k changes regardless of what guage says

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
First oil change doesn't hurt to do early to get any metal debris or dirt flushed out that may have remained from the factory ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not normal unless it's 110 outside or towing heavy imo.

Normal oil temps for the most part is under 220.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OrionR5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First oil change doesn't hurt to do early to get any metal debris or dirt flushed out that may have remained from the factory ...
A question that I was considering asking as well...What is the preferred oil change kilometers for the very first change on a brand new truck.

tbta02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
my 4 th vehicle with a hemi, last was a jeep and on the beach it was around 220. my ram I've been noticing 220 and a little above. more of a reason in my opinion to use good synthetic oil

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm at 6000 and I think that's 38% on the oil life meter. I am changing mine Thursday. The dealer oil change sticker said 5000 but the manual says something along the lines of 8-10k.

Since I am changing the oil to full synthetic, I will extend the change intervals out to 8k or whatever the meter says.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Speaking of services.... I'm at 5,000 miles and the oil life still says it has 43% life... is that really how long you can wait between oil changes?
If your at 5k on factory fill change it, your first oil change will have the highest wear metals in it from break in.
The oil life monitor in the truck is a good system but it has one major flaw; it has no idea if you are running conventional or synthetic oil. Has no idea if you are running cheep oil or a tier 1 oil. If your going to let the dealership change your oil, go with 5k intervals. If you want to go 10k or rely on the oil life monitor I Highly recommend you choose a tier 1 oil, And choose a full synthetic media oil filter.
Another thing to consider is driving habits and use. Racing, towing, off road, high idle, lots of short trips, mostly highway, spirited driving, stop and go traffic, ect.. All should be considered.

My tier 1 oil recommendations:

Amsoil
Redline
Penzoil "Ultra" Platinum (PUP) Not Pennzoil Platinum (PP), a lot of people confuse to two.

Oil filter:

Any full synthetic oil filter will serve you well but Royal Purple would be my only recommendation.

Pour in a tier 1 oil and slap on a RP oil filter and enjoy knowing your doing the best for your truck.

Reactions: JB1

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

What was the coolant temp? Your coolant is more critical, as soon as it hits 260 it's over. If your engine is running hot, you might look into ester based oils. Different base oils handle heat better, what happens when mineral oils get hot the break down quicker. If it is continuous at 230F, I'd move over to oils like Redline or Motul that protect at hotter temps.

Backup_200201_Lubricant-Selection---Fig-4.jpg