Oil change - Not at the RAM dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I got a great deal on my oil change package when I bought my RAM in 2019. I negotiated 5,000 mile intervals. I really like taking it to the dealer. I know all my documentation is in their system.

If not the dealer, I would avoid WalMart. They hire careless kids who can mess things up. Once they double filled my old Chevy pickup, and once they put in conventional SuperTech oil instead of the Mobil 1 I paid extra for. Who knows what else they messed up that I did not realize...

Find an independent shop you trust if the dealer is not a option for you. Avoid Jiffy Lube and the like at all costs!

dls56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thankfully still able to do it my self. Also rotate tires with every oil change 5k+/-.
Wouldn't feel comfortable letting most people work on my truck and don't want to pay the premium for the people I do feel confident in, lol.

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I have the Dealer change my oil and filter. Not that I can't do it. I did all the maintenance on my prior truck. I had a lift in my garage so it was easy for me to get a lot of work done. Times change and I have a bunch of other hobbies that keep my busy.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have to say though, changing those getting those bigger RP filters out of that small area is a ***** lol ... I did make a mess but I know what to expect for the next oil change with these filters or when I install the relo kit

Both the RP 20-820 and 20-500 were difficult? On a 5.7, right? Not the 6.4.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have all the equipment that i would ever need to service almost any vehicle.
The thing is, i have just reached an age & my arms don't work to good after having a Rotator Cuff surgery on both my shoulders.
I don't even take my Harley out of the garage anymore.

At my dealership, they have the regular service bays, where the Techs seem to know their job.

Then they have the Express Lane, where i don't think they do as good. I watch them as much as i can & i don't trust them at all

I also refuse to go the any Express or Quick lube place, i caught them pouring in Valvoline after i requested Castrol & they never greased the rear U-Joint or checked the rear differential fluid, I called them out about it & they insisted that everything was done correctly, until i asked which mechanic had 5 feet long arms that had reached the differential plug with the way they had parked that truck over the Pit

They don't. A dealer claimed they changed my oil as I requested while I was at work. I checked, the oil was dark. They never changed it. They argued with me. I brought a quart of new oil back with me and showed them the color comparison. Since they could no longer deny they didn't do the work, they got belligerent, asking what I wanted them to do about it. I told them nothing, since they just permanently lost my business.

That was my foray into mature adult status and having others do my critical work. I since returned to changing my own.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
With my 2009 Ram
I took the oil & oil filter to the dealership to get it changed. ( I get a discount for products at the auto parts store ).

1 thing that i always did, was to mark the oil filter by scratching certain marks into the paint of the filter. The marks were easy enough to see by looking into the wheel well.

That 2009 Ram left the assembly line with Mobile One & a Wix filter.

The Mopar oil products supplier contract first changed from Mobile to Valvoline & the next time Shell won the contract. I continued using Mobile & Wix
Shell Oil still has the supplier contract

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Chrysler changed when Fiat took them over. It was not a "merger". Fiat is European. So is Royal Dutch Shell. Fiat uses Shell. Buh-bye Mobil.

That said, I prefer the performance of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to Mobil 1. Supposedly cleaner piston rings and skirts, definitely reduced oil consumption, eliminated my Hemi tick. What can I say? PUP is better from my experience.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You may laugh, but the last time that i used Pennzoil, i was still on my Grandad's dairy farm
We bought the oil at the Farmers Co-op

Pennzoil came in glass jars with a Mason jar lid
We unscrewed that lid & put a threaded funnel in its place

2f-z7aMBVXBuy8cU_5gWEKT87LkNRG9tQ7LKsolbQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Nd9GcT_FMmrCbQLUO693pdAjr1TXdjJzJEIyJdvGA&usqp=CAU.jpg

They came with the Mason jar type lid on them, for 2 reasons
To keep the dust out & prevent spillage

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was a kid, my Dad had a Cities Service station. He had oil bottles and a carry rack like what GTyankee posted. The oil was hand pumped from tanks into the bottles. In most cases the oil was used at the pumps when a quart or two would be needed. I still have one of the bottles with the funnel top. Back in the day of full service of course.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
For me having a lot of warranty left plus a 3.6 with the plastic oil filter housing, I go to the dealer.
Three full synthetic changes = 18 qts of oil and 3 filters for $100 using the Mopar promo coupon. Yup, they hate me because when they pull it outside I do a walk around, open the hood, check all the fluids / oil filter housing and engine bay. Plus I decline everything when they ask about the air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, etc.
Doesn't look like you are too far from me. Who is the dealer?
We should show up together and ask for the exact same service! That would make them happy, I am sure.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
@Different Drummer
Lol, Fucillo's location on Rt 30 Amsterdam/ Perth. They actually are pretty good there.
Hey, we really could do a dueling oil change there!!
Went there when I bought my RAM. I told them no way they would have the truck I wanted and also there was no way that they would be able to locate one. I wanted to order one built. I was willing to place a sizable down payment for an ordered truck.
They insisted that they could locate exactly what I wanted. So they wasted two hours of my time while they tried. Then of course they wanted to convince me to buy something that was already built and available but not what I wanted. Of course I said No, just let me place an order for a build.
They absolutely refused to have one built to my specifications. Said that they do not do that.
I said OK. I then went to the small dealer in Warrensburg who gladly ordered a build for me, and got a deal that was light years better than what I was told in Amsterdam. Their refusing to place an order for me turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Edit: You say their service department is competent though? I will keep that in mind.

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@Different Drummer Edit: You say their service department is competent though? I will keep that in mind.

I will keep Krystal in mind. I'm not going to swear that Fucillo's service department is competent as they only do my oil, inspections, warranty recalls and changed the fuel filler neck. Anybody from our area probably knows that anything associated with "HUGE" is a potential problem.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be using the dealer for all of mine. I was there the other day getting one and they told me about a package were you by three in advance for $130. Mine takes 7 quarts of synthetic and so it’s covered. This makes each oil change about $43.33. Even the cheapest oil place is about 49 or 50 for the same service and I don’t get my tires rotated.

Check with your dealer and see if they have the same promotion he said they run it every three months or so.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
  • My dealer has oil/lube/rotation deals when buying in bulk. Lube/oil/rotations average $70 a visit.
  • My local Wally World will provide labor for $15 when bringing in your own supplies.
  • I've seen too many undercover scams on the news to trust a 'quickie' oil joint.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally am one who never lets a dealer touch my truck unless it's under warranty and absolutely nesssary. They are just as crooked and incompetent as any other fly by night or Walmart. I do all my own work and oil changes so I know exactly what's going into my truck. To each his own but I have seen to many dealers screw up people's vehicles around here. As far as the OPs original question to reset the oil meter put the truck on run without starting it and push the gas pedal to the floor 5 times. As long as you save the receipts and document the mileage and date changing your own oil doesn't void your warranty. If you are one that simply doesn't have the time or is unable to change your oil I recommend finding a good shop through word of mouth and then do your research. Many will let you supply your own oil and filter.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Never trust a dealer, verify anything they tell you,they will and do lie , often.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My dealer provides lifetime free oil changes... there I go... :doh2:
Good for you and them. You don't pay for oil changes and they'll probably get your business for any other service related work.

The dealership down the road from me provides free loaners for as long as you own your vehicle (if you bought it new from them). Good deal except I can't stand the dealership (sales staff or service staff).

Chrysler changed when Fiat took them over. It was not a "merger". Fiat is European. So is Royal Dutch Shell. Fiat uses Shell. Buh-bye Mobil.

That said, I prefer the performance of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to Mobil 1. Supposedly cleaner piston rings and skirts, definitely reduced oil consumption, eliminated my Hemi tick. What can I say? PUP is better from my experience.
I've never used Pennzoil before this truck. It is now the recommended oil for the RAM HEMI.

I also use the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and have been very happy with it.