Oil change - Not at the RAM dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I take our 1500 Ram & Jeep Wrangler to Dealership for Oil Changes. Tired of Quick Lubes trying to bully me into having extra work done, that I know I do not need. I have never had a problem with our dealership.

Doc_Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, I wouldn’t trust my 5.7 to a “Jiffy Lube”. My local Ram dealership is very efficient. Guess I’m spoiled?

agtcovert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I haven't had a chance/need to take mine in for an oil change, but I will most likely do it myself. I was in for a tire rotation a week ago (and a TPMS issue). They didn't fix the TPMS and forgot to put the valve stem caps back on. If they can't freaking do THAT, how the hell would I trust them to do an oil/fuel filter change.

No thanks.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No way I will ever let a dealership touch my truck or an oil change .... they are messy ... careless and I can do it myself and know that I did it right ....

Exactly! If you want something done right do it yourself. It takes longer to shop for the oil and filter than it does the actual oil change.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me having a lot of warranty left plus a 3.6 with the plastic oil filter housing, I go to the dealer.
Three full synthetic changes = 18 qts of oil and 3 filters for $100 using the Mopar promo coupon. Yup, they hate me because when they pull it outside I do a walk around, open the hood, check all the fluids / oil filter housing and engine bay. Plus I decline everything when they ask about the air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation, etc.

I hear ya but the 3.6 isn’t picky about oil. I can do 4 changes myself for that price and it’s super simple with the 3.6 filter location. Torque wrench is my friend with that plastic housing. I also don’t have to drive to the deal and wait. Hit all the grease fittings while I’m under the truck which doesn’t even need to be on a ramp for the service. The 3.6 is probably the easiest oil change to do but we all have our different reasons for doing what we do.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I hear ya but the 3.6 isn’t picky about oil. I can do 4 changes myself for that price and it’s super simple with the 3.6 filter location. Torque wrench is my friend with that plastic housing. I also don’t have to drive to the deal and wait. Hit all the grease fittings while I’m under the truck which doesn’t even need to be on a ramp for the service. The 3.6 is probably the easiest oil change to do but we all have our different reasons for doing what we do.

Yes we all have our reasons. Mine is I always send the cheap **** work out and then there's no warranty questions. After doing automotive work for a living for forever, I don't miss it that much especially if it's at break even pricing or warranty.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The B6585971-AD20-497A-B0C1-5BADA3BEFFAB.jpeg FE53414C-0AAD-4745-B37B-1A6BEBA5EFE0.jpeg F112015D-4686-4BAC-9F5D-42CC61BB3DAB.jpeg I know that most people don’t do their own oil,and money doesn’t matter. But apart from the trust part I was surprised that even though I bought a OE trans pan and used amsoils best trans oil I only spent $340 vs the 1k it’s rumored to cost.Without the scan tool it’s still easy to use the rams trans oil temp gauge. Plus I was able to inspect the original for wear and tear at the 10k break in.My 5.7 has never seen anything but my oil since it hit 400 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes we all have our reasons. Mine is I always send the cheap **** work out and then there's no warranty questions. After doing automotive work for a living for forever, I don't miss it that much especially if it's at break even pricing or warranty.

Ain't that the truth! My Technicians did the same - the last thing they wanted to do at home was more of the same they did at work! Whereas for me (Engineering Leadership), the last thing I wanted to do at home was deal with more computer and people problems - I'd go straight to my garage shop and work on my equipment.

turboguard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The fact they don't make 7 quart jugs of oil...I just take it to the dealer and get the local coupon deal and call it even for not having to get under the truck

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grease fittings? Are there some front grease fittings on the 4th gen that I wasn’t aware of?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Didn't find any on the HD.

There is a lube point for the front driveshaft, it’s not a zerk, it’s a recessed dimple with a spring loaded check ball. You need a grease needle to lube it. You should have a sticker under the hood showing where it is, it’s next to impossible to find it. Most dealers don’t even know it’s there....

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a lube point for the front driveshaft, it’s not a zerk, it’s a recessed dimple with a spring loaded check ball. You need a grease needle to lube it. You should have a sticker under the hood showing where it is, it’s next to impossible to find it. Most dealers don’t even know it’s there....

Now my OCD needs to find it! Lol

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It's on the HD trucks only I believe....and a B to get to and lube. That's why many shops no nothing about it. But its there

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you have 4 wheel drive, the front U-joint has a grease fitting

When i factory ordered my 2016 Ram Ecodiesel
I had the best salesman around, he went down the complete list of things available from the factory, he asked me Yes or No on each option, if i was unsure, he explained it & asked again.

After he finished with all of that, he told me that there were things that he thought that i would appreciate getting, that the dealership could do.

One of those was to get 7 free oil changes.
( The ecodiesel only takes synthetic oil )

When i was at the dealership last time for the oil change, The Service Adviser & i were talking out in the parking lot, ( we both smoke ), he told me that those free oil changes was costing the dealership money & that i still had 3 free oil changes left.

I think that i have the best salesman & service adviser around the county

I still have some time left on my 7 Year Mopar Extended Warranty.

I wanted to buy another new Ram around the time that that warranty expires, but i have not been able to run my business since February of 2020, so my bank account won't allow that to happen, i rather not use credit to buy a vehicle

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
I go to the dealer. If you go to the dealer and ask for the Mopar Service Contract prices, you will find that by buying the contract which is usually 3-4 oil changes over the course of a year is much cheaper than DIY or any quick change place. Problem is most these trucks, like the HEMI take 7 quarts of oil. The advertised prices you see will always have a asterisk stating that the price includes up to 5 quarts and they **** you on anything over 5 quarts.

rhenry1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Liter Hemi
I have had 3 oil changes at the dealership and each time when they removed the oil filter it of course drains onto the electronic steering. they made no attempt to clean up the mess and i left there dripping, would get home let it cool and clean it up. I have changed my oil since. I document all of my maintenance on ram trucks owner site and have a three ring binder to put all receipts to document all of my maintenance. I cannot stand the fact that they will not even attempt to clean up the oil. On the other hand when i had my 65rfe in for fluid/filter change the tech was on point with cleaning up.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
If you have 4 wheel drive, the front U-joint has a grease fitting /QUOTE]

Do you happen to have a picture of that on your 1500 sir? That is news to me. If you have proof of it I will stand corrected. Thanks.

I just had my truck up on my lift for annual inspection and greased the one on my 2500 last evening.