Oil Change Time (Synthetic or No?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCU2-Papa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey fellas (and gals),

It's time for my first oil change. I double checked the manual and read some other information and it seems Dodge is dead set on making sure the 5W20 is used. Not a problem and I am glad I know this now.

My question is, can I use a synthetic oil? Should I use a synthetic oil? And, would you guys recommend some oils/filters (and why) please?

As always, thanks for helping out.

-Doc

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
On a new Hemi, I would say Yes. As for filters I will let the 4th Gen guys answer that. I use Mobil 1 everything on my 05 magnum with now 35 K Miles.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I use Mobil 1 full synth too

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to jack the thread but is it bad to goto 10w30 instead of 5w20????

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

OP
OP
MCU2-Papa

MCU2-Papa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Droid Incredible 2 on the move!!!

Specifically states not to use anything other than 5W20 if you have MDS. Even cautions to watch the mechanic pour it in to make sure you get 5W20. Anything else will damage the MDS and void warranties.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've only ever run Mobile-1 full synthetic 5W-20 with the Mobile 1 filter.

Same here. I will be running 10k change intervals once I hit 20k. Nothing special about it. I changed the factory at 5k to Mob 1, when I hit 12.5k, and then finally at 20k. Then every 10k from there on out. As for the filter, I'll stick with Mob 1 or K&N. There was a bunch of threads out there about who makes the best filters etc. Mob 1 and K&N are both made by the same company, just different cans. They won, so... I use em.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

With the MDS system, yes. In general, yes. Turns out the engineers don't just make this **** up. Tolerances on newer engines are far tighter than ever before. It's one reason why manufactures have been switching over to thinner oils. The other is the MPG benefit, which I find really hard to bite personally. I think a crank scraper would be far more beneficial.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should use synthetic better protection.
You can us any oil ending in 20
Meaning 0w-20 or 5w-20
Buy Mopar filters or better do not use Fram they are junk I have been using Bosch distance with Amsoil and love it 10k oil changes really cut costs, hassle and oil holds up great. My opinion is always synthetic no matter what I am doing. Front to rear all synthetic.
Problem now is I am putting in Auburn which says only dyno is recommended.

$miley

twlyons1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Laramie 4x4 crew 8' dually
I retract my posting for sake of pronouncing of words, potato,,,potaato, I do appreciate the vids and I agree, thank you too.

Last edited:

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
Amsoil Hands Down! ive run that for years and couldnt be happier. i run it in everything, truck, lawn mower, pressure washer, snowmobile, etc. If Amsoil makes it for the engine i run it. My oil in my diesel is GUARANTEED for 25k miles or 1 yr, oil analysis have always come back good, even at the 25k or 1 yr mark!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

[yt]E_iN_IJpSIU[/yt]

[yt]Z-OpTjtSoeQ[/yt]

Now you know.

Last edited:

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first part 5W refers to the weight of the oil for running through passages and such,,,,the second set refers to 20 / 30 / 40 etc,, is the ambient temp, meaning how hot or cold of an area will the vehicle be driven around in and will keep the oil at the weight through those conditions.
10W30 would be 10 weight - designed for above freezing to about 100 degrees air temp out side,,,,,,a 10w20 would be a weight 10 as the other but designed for below freezing up to around 80 degrees,,,,when kept with in the temp range- it keeps the oil viscosity at the weight listed,,,drive in hotter weather and it will break down to like water faster,,drive in colder-it will wear the parts harder by being thicker........ soooo basically the 5 is a very light weight weight oil but it is designed to stay at 5 weight when driven in temperatures of around freezing to maybe 80 - 90 degrees but being newer oils and ways of being made,,it is most likely up to 100 or 110 degrees maybe,,,,some bottles show the temp ranges on the backs,,, get it in black and white though,,don't just take any ones words for it,,,many different types of synthetics and standard oils and not every NAPA cashier knows what viscosity even means so be aware :birgits_tiredcoffee

Way off on that info

The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

[yt]E_iN_IJpSIU[/yt]

[yt]Z-OpTjtSoeQ[/yt]

Now you know.

Exactly

weymouthba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just called my dealer and they said they use 5W-40 for synthetic and 5W-20 conventional. I asked multiple times if this is correct as the manual states 5W-20 with no distinction between the two types.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just called my dealer and they said they use 5W-40 for synthetic and 5W-20 conventional. I asked multiple times if this is correct as the manual states 5W-20 with no distinction between the two types.

This dealer should close as they are dumb and clearly cannot read. Synthetic has nothing to do with weight you should choose it only indicates its ability to flow at said specs consistently. I would call Chrysler ask them if they know they have a dealer that is that dumb.

$miley

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
with my cummins(06) im ready for MY first no dealer oil change. not only am I going with amsoil but im getting their bypass oil filter kit with sampler. This way my oil life should extend but I dont need to worry because I can send in samples when I want to see how everything is holding up and/or contaminating (CTD will "pollute" the oil more then a gas truck).