Oil change to honor Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen M Barth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I adopted a 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn V6. 19,000 mi. I want to honor the Warranty. Do I have to get it changed at the dealer? or Does that not matter? ;)

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t matter where or who does it just keep the receipt. Use the recommended oil and preferably a Mopar filter.

Last edited:

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do all mine at the dealer. Not required, but, I get a deal from them no one can beat. I buy a three oil change package for $130 that includes a tire rotation each time. That works out to $43.33 each oil change. Closest I can get to that is $49 elsewhere and it's factory recommended oil and filter AND the rotation. Every time I get all three done, I buy another package. Definitely save all my receipts.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Service records are the biggest thing. I get somebody else to change it just for the paper trail. Oil and filter meeting spec is the next most important. Doesn't have to be dealer, but if they offer a decent deal it's a good option to speed up the warranty process since the records will be in the dealer system already vs you having to dig them up and bring them in.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
As long as mine is under warranty I have a dealership service it just in case an issue arises. Hard for them to argue when they’re the only ones who has touched it, mechanically speaking. I ask them to check for and take care of, any updates, recalls etc. while they have it too. I’m fortunate to have a good dealership with a good service writer near me. You may have to kick over a few rocks before you find one you feel comfortable working with.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
mine are covered under my extended warranty on the p/w so it goes into the dealer to get done.my old ram with an extended warranty on it went to mr. lube every time .they gave a paper copy and also kept an e copy with all the mileage and interval of each change.and they never messed up over 7 years of changes every 5000 km's.i never had an issue with warranty work but i also never had any drivetrain problems other than the manifold studs.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The most important thing from a warranty perspective is to use a filter and oil that meets the specifications printed in your manual. And have proof on paper. By “meets specifications“ I mean exactly that. There’s a Chrysler specification number in your book and it will be on the bottle.

And beware the weasel words “recommended for specification xyz”. Those are code words to admit it has not been tested or fails to meet a specification. I could ”recommend” you eat at McDonalds every day. That does not mean it’s good for you.

Who does it, you, the dealer, or a third party is irrelevant. But I would never patronize quick lube places because of the lack of professionalism and the uncertainty of what specific oil gets put in your engine. Most likely something low bid in a bulk tank.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The short answer is absolutely not.
I'll start out by saying most people want to exceed recommendations but for the purposes of your question, let's say the goal is simply to meet the minimum standards.

While there are tons of arguments and opinions on what oil & filters are "best", any API Certified SAE 5W-20 meets specification and is acceptable to use (assuming it's not tampered with, expired, etc.). All you need to do is provide records of oil changes done at reasonable intervals. Nothing states 5,000 miles (that's a recommendation and one can prove that 7,000 mile intervals is acceptable based on the oil manufacturer's data). You can use Joe's Donut and Oil Change shop as long as they use API Certified SAE 5W-20 oil. Save receipts. These receipts should have the date, the service performed and at what mileage.

A warranty only covers manufacturing flaws, not the repairs due to lack of service. But a dealership or manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim based on alleged failure to meet maintenance responsibilities unless it can be proven that your failure to service your vehicle did without reasonable doubt cause the malfunction and need for repair. This does not mean their mechanic's opinion.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I use the dealer for the paper trail. The deal at approx. $50/change keeps the cost to a reasonable level and you don't have to worry about proving you changed the oil and used the correct products. A missing receipt can be the difference between warranty and a few thousand bucks out of pocket.

I know legally that they must honor the warranty but that can still be a class one hassle if a dealer say no. You'll probably win in the end but that's called a Pyric victory after the hassle and cost you went through.

I change my oil myself in my non-warrantied vehicles but the hassle of changing and disposing of the old oil is a pain.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just make sure you keep all your receipts and records. I did it with my Ram and do it with my Charger. Wifes cars always seem to come with free oil changes lol.

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do my own Every 5000 miles, In order to deny a warrantee claim they will have to show it wasn't done and was the case of the issue i.e. you could never change the oil and if the alternator fails they would still not have a reason to deny the claim because it's not a lubricated part. If you really do the service at the required intervals that will be hard for them to do because there won't be a sludge build up for them to question. Bottom line is they need a reason to question you maintenance practices. If you really worried about it keep receipts and a log. I just something like this.

Attachments

• PXL_20210608_011259854.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210608_011259854.MP.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 9

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If you want your vehicle to live longer forget about “the dealer knows best” myth.
if you can turn a wrench you can service your own vehicle. Brakes and suspensions on the other hand can be difficult to complete if you haven’t had experience or training but by all means stay away from dealerships.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when i bought my 2016 Ram 1500, i also bought the longest extended warranty that i could get with the eco-diesel
The last Ram that i had, i also bought new from this dealership
The guy in the finance cubicle remembered me, some how i got 10 Free Oil Changes using Synthetic Oil.
In normal times, my free oil changes would be used up by now, but since i have not been working, i still have 2 free changes to go & the contract expires next month.
Then i will have to pay for all services
Maybe my dealership will have those discount plans too ?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Maybe my dealership will have those discount plans too ?

They will as long as they have a "Mopar Express Lane". It's actually not through the dealership, it's through the mothership. IIRC, it's tied to your VIN so you can use it at any dealer Express Lane, not just the one you bought the package from but you cannot share the package between vehicles.

See: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/service-coupons-and-offers.html

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My dealership closed the Express Lane

I did not trust them anyway,
i stood outside watching everything they did, i was leaning on the sign that reads something like 60 point check

They never even looked at the rear differential when i still had my old 2009 Ram, as i said, i was watching them & apparently if they had looked at the point where the drive shaft connects to the pinion, they would have caught the leak, that caused the rear end to have to be rebuilt.
The craziest part was, that rear differential cover had a dipstick in it.
My 2016 has the same type of differential cover, it has a dipstick too
MagHytec

i can use any of the 3 lube shops, but i have not used the Business Link Service portion of the Dealership

Last edited:

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like everything else, there are good and bad dealerships. To cast they all in one category isn’t right.

Do they make mistakes, yes everyone does.

Take it to Walmart or Jiffy lube.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I do it myself. 5w20 Supertech Full syn.. AC/Delco PF48E Filter also from Walmart. Total cost is 28.00. I keep a notebook in my glove compartment with dates and mileage. Have done this for 50 years, never had it questioned by a dealer.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do it myself. 5w20 Supertech Full syn.. AC/Delco PF48E Filter also from Walmart. Total cost is 28.00. I keep a notebook in my glove compartment with dates and mileage. Have done this for 50 years, never had it questioned by a dealer.
My hero, I don’t believe in the brand hype either.

Last edited: