Oil Change with Liqui Moly, Mopar SRT Filter & Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-20 at 22k miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Ya I agree it’s not cheap. That’s why I’m always interested in people who may be into a cheaper more readily available solution.

Any video of the sound of your tick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No more tick since the oil change, sorry too late to record the sound.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was reading amazon reviews on the srt filter, 1 guy said there are less holes which affects flow and his engine blew, dealer wouldnt cover.
It does have less holes and the center looks smaller just by the gasket.
May raise oil pressure which could be a good thing!

Screenshot_20191214-080006~2.png

Screenshot_20191214-080029~2.png

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I have been using the Lucas oil stabilizer for synthetic oil and it also solves the lifter tick.

Yes but people here want complicated solutions.

Try some marvel mystery oil in gas and you will wonder if the engine is on.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did my third oil change at 22k miles on my 17 Ram 5.7 Hemi today. Been having that Hemi tick since new on and off at startup so I did a bunch of research on the forum and onlinie and chose to go with Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-20, Mopar #5038041AA SRT Oil Filter and Liqui Moly #2009 300ml additive. Wow is all I have to say! Put about 150 miles on it today and it now cold starts are so quiet and seems to run quieter too. I have not noticed any power increases yet but I am impressed as to how quiet it has become. The guy at the oil change shop said he has a few customers that do the same to there Ram trucks and all seem to swear by it. Going to see where this goes as to the next few weeks, will post here if any changes. Sounds like a new truck again!

Did you still use the full 7 quarts with the moly or did you subtract some for the 300ml of moly?

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I did the srt filter with Amazon 0w40 a few weeks ago. My tick almost completely went away, but I still have a little bit when it's cold out.

It quieted down enough to make it easier to hear my exhaust tick & trace that down

JWExperience

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added a little more than half a can of liqui moly ceretec on my last oil change and it seemed slightly smoother. I only have a brief tick on startup which I think is the manifold bolts. I have one more free oil change at the dealer then I’m putting in PUP and debating on a moly additive, not sure I’m fully on board with these additives. I’ve watched some YouTube tests, primitive as they might be, and project farm has me on the fence. A good synthetic oil should probably be more than enough.

I think some engines are destined for greatness or ruin right out of the factory almost regardless of what we add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I added a little more than half a can of liqui moly ceretec on my last oil change and it seemed slightly smoother. I only have a brief tick on startup which I think is the manifold bolts. I have one more free oil change at the dealer then I’m putting in PUP and debating on a moly additive, not sure I’m fully on board with these additives. I’ve watched some YouTube tests, primitive as they might be, and project farm has me on the fence. A good synthetic oil should probably be more than enough.

I think some engines are destined for greatness or ruin right out of the factory almost regardless of what we add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lubegard biotech, is the same moly as in pcmo's, so next to zero risk to this. Read the reviews in amazon. But obviously it wont help exhaust bolt tick. research oil soluble moly or powdered moly in suspension.

Dieselhorses

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 cid
Have to resurrect this thread with a question. I decided to start changing my own oil using SRT and PUP 5w-20. Did they build the hemi at the factory and then when adding the oil filter it had to be midget size cuz that's all the room they had? Was a task installing bigger filter but it happened. Don't suppose the steering thingy right below it would damage bottom of filter by any chance?

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to resurrect this thread with a question. I decided to start changing my own oil using SRT and PUP 5w-20. Did they build the hemi at the factory and then when adding the oil filter it had to be midget size cuz that's all the room they had? Was a task installing bigger filter but it happened. Don't suppose the steering thingy right below it would damage bottom of filter by any chance?
I’ve run mine with the SRT filter through two oil changes and I’m still able to steer and I have not (I’m happy to report) ripped my filter off. I do agree that it’s a bit of an effer to get the filter in location especially with the filter size coupled with the size of my gorilla hands. Other than that all is good and no tick with the liquid moly added.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason they went to the smaller filter was because of the conversion to electric power steering in 2013 sometime. Other than that there's no reason and there's no harm in using either filter. The engine hasn't changed at all in many years.