Oil choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Witch one , pennsoil full synthetic, or pennsoil ultra synthetic ?
I personally use the ultra but if you change it every 5000 miles I don't see how you'll go wrong with either. That's just my opinion, others will tell you to go a lot longer but why chance it to save a few dollars. Oil is a lot cheaper than metal! You're not wasting either, they recycle oil. Again, just my opinion after 45 years of being a mechanic!

OP
OP
dieseldave

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally use the ultra but if you change it every 5000 miles I don't see how you'll go wrong with either. That's just my opinion, others will tell you to go a lot longer but why chance it to save a few dollars. Oil is a lot cheaper than metal! You're not wasting either, they recycle oil. Again, just my opinion after 45 years of being a mechanic!
Thanks for your reply

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Any premium full synthetic oil will be fine. I have gone round and round with this for years. Do you really think, for everyday use, one premium is better than another? If you use a quality filter and replace the oil in the time it should be replaced, you just about cannot go wrong.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Pennzoil Ultra has more detergency, early in 4 gen section we had a bunch of guys take part in the free pennzoil and uoa deals, where a bunch of us were sent two cases of oil and free uoa's came with it. Detergency in oil fights contamination, but also combats acid, so by having more of it your tbn retention will be better. Most labs use tbn to determine oci. One of the questions we asked the rep who sent us the oil reported back the differences between PUP and PP, and the main difference is detergancy. It is more piece of mind for the longer intervals we sometimes run.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do you really think, for everyday use, one premium is better than another?
API oils will all be similar, but true high performance oils are made dramatically different then shelf oils. If you ever get hemi tick, follow the work of 100's of guys on this forum, the results prove their certainly is a huge difference. The ester and pao base oils along with super high extreme pressure additives and extra detergency then anything you can vuy on the shelf, kills hemi tick at an impressive rate. You can literally kill tick just by changing an oil, yeah it makes a difference. Don't believe a word I just said, but read this thread and the poll results from many ram forum members.

Just that thread 93 guys who had hemi tick, the losers of the hemi engine lotto like myself, 55 killed hemi tick, 26 hemi tick was substantially better, and 12 was not successful. That is what a high performance oil can do for you among other things like protect better in the extremes hot or cold. Note the chart, in the hot and cold engines, regular synthetic oil cannot come close to pao/ester base stock line 2 and 5.

OIP.jpg

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year

Personally, I run Platinum and Ultra Platinum in my vehicles.

Platinum - 5W20 in the RAM
Platinum - 5W20 in the Mustang

Ultra Platinum - 0W40 in the Scat Pack

Last edited:

Octane

Reaction score

And the article says if you were to mix ultra and platinum oils in the same engine it would go nuts and stop halfway. Lol.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That particular article was a joke. I too run pup in my 6.4 because ram recommends it. inlove how the guy says you should not mix them pretty sure pennzoil says otherwise as do most oil companies. That appeared to be written by a marketing intern for amazon or something for people who don’t actually read or care about oil

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And the article says if you were to mix ultra and platinum oils in the same engine it would go nuts and stop halfway. Lol.
Typing at same time lol what a joke of an article. Read the last couple of sentences and pretty much tells you the author of the article is clueless

Last edited:

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
That is why I posted it. Just because someone says something...

Octane

Reaction score
Typing at same time lol what a joke
I understand that you can dilute the additive package of a particular oil if you mix another oil in with it and may lose some of the benefits of one of the oils detergents etc.but as far as it going nuts and stopping halfway that just doesn't make sense.

Octane

Reaction score
Besides my engine has always done the Happy Dance everytime I run the best oil in the world...which oddly happens to be what I may be using at the time! Lol