Oil/Coolant temps 2015 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damn near fell off my chair laughing Ed,lol.That's funny and also scary as it's the truth,don't tell my wife i said that :Big Laugh: :waytogo:
That's a quote from a couple of radio guys we have here, Stan and Haney on 96k rock.

They always say, "What do we know about women?" "They're all crazy, and capable of anything."

Haney had a stroke one month ago, and it has affected his ability to speak, not sure when he will be back. I hope soon.

They have been on the air here for 25+ years, over 7000 shows.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's a quote from a couple of radio guys we have here, Stan and Haney on 96k rock.

They always say, "What do we know about women?" "They're all crazy, and capable of anything."

Haney had a stroke one month ago, and it has affected his ability to speak, not sure when he will be back. I hope soon.

They have been on the air here for 25+ years, over 7000 shows.

I've been married 38 years,about all i know,is i'm always wrong. If i ever figure out women,i'm gonna write a book,and sell it to all the other men in the world and retire rich,lol

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've been married 38 years,about all i know,is i'm always wrong. If i ever figure out women,i'm gonna write a book,and sell it to all the other men in the world and retire rich,lol
27 years for me, always wrong too.

And I would be lost without her

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crap quit hogging all the heat,send some north,lol
I agree, I got the girls out of storage only for them to get snowed on. Not as much as you got, but no snow for the street bikes anymore. Used to ride the Z1000 year-round but not worth it now that I'm closer to work. 20230225_074519.jpg

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree, I got the girls out of storage only for them to get snowed on. Not as much as you got, but no snow for the street bikes anymore. Used to ride the Z1000 year-round but not worth it now that I'm closer to work. View attachment 515292
The offer is open, come on down to SWFL.

Seems like just about everyone is here now, might as well make a party of it......lol.

I miss the snow sometimes. When I first took the wife to see it, it had been almost 50 years since I'd seen it myself, we moved to FL in '71.

I didn't miss it so much 1-1/2 years ago when we went to MI for my Brother's funeral. It was about 0 at the cemetery, and windy. Stinging cold is the only way I can describe it, cold to and through the bone, and can't imagine having to deal with it for extended periods.

Nope, I'll go up and play in it, unless I could get a fully stocked cabin where I didn't have to leave for weeks.....lol

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The offer is open, come on down to SWFL.

Seems like just about everyone is here now, might as well make a party of it......lol.

I miss the snow sometimes. When I first took the wife to see it, it had been almost 50 years since I'd seen it myself, we moved to FL in '71.

I didn't miss it so much 1-1/2 years ago when we went to MI for my Brother's funeral. It was about 0 at the cemetery, and windy. Stinging cold is the only way I can describe it, cold to and through the bone, and can't imagine having to deal with it for extended periods.

Nope, I'll go up and play in it, unless I could get a fully stocked cabin where I didn't have to leave for weeks.....lol
Been to Florida once for vacation, went down golf coast all the way thru the everglades and down into the keys. Definitely nice down there. It's possibly a early retirement destination. But for now, kids, family, career all keep me grounded up here. I like the snow, hate the cold.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Come on down to SW FL, Rick.
Too damn hot, nice balmy -20C this morning, But we have no bugs to worry about.

PS, If she rally likes the snow , should try a bit of down hill skiing,
Thou you want to stay away from the high mountains in BC as a few are dead from skiing in new powder this year, and a couple of skidoo's got wiped out, RCMP members.
Don't mind the snow, Ice on the roads are a pita.
Wife use to like shovelling snow, No accounting for women, But her hip is bad, so that different now.

On second thought, I think skiing has got quite expensive these days, so maybe just get her a shovel.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
27 years for me, always wrong too.

And I would be lost without her
getting close to 60, and you are 100% correct, and she will remind you when you are old and senile .

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Too damn hot, nice balmy -20C this morning, But we have no bugs to worry about.

PS, If she rally likes the snow , should try a bit of down hill skiing,
Thou you want to stay away from the high mountains in BC as a few are dead from skiing in new powder this year, and a couple of skidoo's got wiped out, RCMP members.
Don't mind the snow, Ice on the roads are a pita.
Wife use to like shovelling snow, No accounting for women, But her hip is bad, so that different now.

On second thought, I think skiing has got quite expensive these days, so maybe just get her a shovel.
I'm sure she would love that, but she is disabled, herniated a disc in her lower back and it destroyed the nerve in her leg. She has to wear a AFO brace for foot drop, and her leg swells after just a couple minutes on her feet. Plus constant electricity feeling in that leg and back.

She did get to ride some tubes down a couple small areas, and absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately the Dr. said that her damage looks like it is progressing, so eventually she might not be able to walk even short distances.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take good care of her.
My Daughter was/ is Canadian Military and her back is terrible, and hearing gone on side. Swimming helps her quite a bit.
Retired, but still works at base.

They where down in your area couple weeks ago and had a great time.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time my 2016 Ram 1500 5.7L start to heat up a bit, I learn to check.....the oil. If it is half or more low, I add. I understand the oil also help to keep the motor cool. If it is low on oil, the motor with run hotter and problems will arise.

Over the years of owning Chrysler and Stellantis, still have the same issues. The Hemi like to runs hot but not so hot that is become a constant problem.

A second thing I learned is not to fully trust the thermostat, OEM or supply house brand. I check them and if I have any doubt, the stat is gone and a new one is installed.

Last, I do check the coolant.

If all this is good, them I go to check the fan, belts, and water pump.

This works for me. It is simple. My Ram is still going strong.

Last edited:

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Glad I found this thread! Makes me feel like Im not CRAZY!

Friday I noticed the same thing. My coolant has only ever touched over 210 when Im on a long roadtrip going up mountains, and oil temp has usually closely followed my coolant temps.

Friday (In phoenix, temp was about 95) on the way home from work (18 miles) my coolant climbed to 213 and oil temps to 220. This is 70mph, straight, flat highway with little to no traffic. Same thing yesterday as well. Coolant touched 217-218 briefly, and oil got up to 223. Odd thing is, coolant came back down relatively quick once I got off the highway, but oil temp never did. I have about 10 min drive from getting off the highway to getting home. Usually the oil temps follow my coolant temps pretty well, but even when coolant got back down to 197, oil stayed in the 220's and wouldnt come down again.

2014 RAM 1500 - 164k miles - 5.7L
Water pump was replaced at about 110k (before I bought it)
Oil changed about 3500 ago (Penzoil Platinum HM 5w30, with RP 20-820 filter, 1 Bottle of Lubeguard Bio/Tech)
Coolant is good
No forbidden milkshake in the dipstick or oil cap.
Trans temps seem pretty normal for me at this point. Usually around 185-190. Only got to 195 when I stepped on it for a few seconds, but came right back down.

Even in Phoenix heat during normal driving (up past 110) the truck doesnt get this hot. I know I'm still within "normal" operating temps, but they are not normal for my truck. I have been meaning to do a couple temp mods (grill shutter delete, transmission thermostat delete, possibly a lower thermostat) ... but I dont want to do any of those until I nail down the cause of whats going on now. The last thing I want to do is put a band aid on something that has a more sinister underlying cause.

I did have a friend (about a year ago) say that the fan clutch/hub looks like it may need to be looked at (slight...very slight... wobble). But there has been no squealing or obvious noises. That being said, I've never had a fan clutch go bad before... so I'm not sure what I'm listening for. The only abnormal sound ive heard is a very very faint grinding/whooshing sound. High pitched. The best way I can describe it, is think of a wheel bearing going bad. That faint grinding, but combine it with what putting a stethoscope up to your oil pan... that sound of fluid rushing. It sounds more like fluid than grinding, and its incredibly faint.

Any thoughts of where to start?