Oil Cooler Cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone else had an issue where there oil cooler was cracked? Took my truck to the dealership today due to leaking oil. After looking at my truck they stated that the oil cooler was cracked. The dealership stated normally this part is covered under the power train warranty but since it was cracked and my last oil change wasn’t there I will need to pay for the replacement $1,178.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m assuming you have a 3.6? It’s pretty common for them to crack due to people tighten the crap out of the oil filter cap.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Yup. Had same issue with my 2014 with 3.6. I had 100K bumper to bumper warranty. Glad I had it. Nice design for oil filter service but cheap plastic couldn’t stand any torque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately I only had 75,000 warranty. It just amazes me that it would be covered under the power train warranty but that will not cover it due to it being cracked.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
I would go back to where you had the oil changed and make them pay for it since they over tightened it.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go back to where you had the oil changed and make them pay for it since they over tightened it.

Already spoke to them. Waiting for the regional manager to call me back. Doesn't sound promising as I did not notice and report right away.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Already spoke to them. Waiting for the regional manager to call me back. Doesn't sound promising as I did not notice and report right away.
If they dont end up fixing it looks like the part is only $150 off rockauto or any where from $110 on amazon if you need to replace it yourself instead of paying the crazy dealership fee/markup.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they dont end up fixing it looks like the part is only $150 off rockauto or any where from $110 on amazon if you need to replace it yourself instead of paying the crazy dealership fee/markup.

Already paid for it. Most of the parts online were not OEM and I think that would be a little over my head installing. The price point for the part was only $200 majority of the bill was for labor.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you read some of the reviews for the aftermarket pentastar oil filter/cooler assemblies, you'll see reports of O-rings not being the right size, sensors snapping right off of them, etc. Then again, could these problems be 1 out of 1000? Who knows.

As much as I love pentastars, this is the only thing I hate about them. This stupid plastic oil cooler/filter assembly buried under the intake manifold. ALL of them will leak eventually. Either by O-ring or cracking.

I didn't think it would cost over $1000 for a dealer to fix it. I figured more like $400-500.

The job doesn't look difficult. For me the worst part would be reaching the damn engine. You about need scaffolding, one of those $$$ lay on creepers, or take the front wheels off and drop the front way down on stands, blocks, etc.

Also.. 'while they're in there'. If the vehicle is 4-5yrs old. May as well have them change the spark plugs.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately it is not just over tightening that causes them to crack. They are plastic so time, heat and oil makes the plastic brittle.

If you own a Pentastar you will be replacing this part at some point guaranteed.

I am waiting for the one on our 2013 Jeep Wrangler to fail.

If you are out of warranty I would not have the dealer do it. You can have it done way cheaper by your favorite mechanic and since it is getting close to spark plug time do them too while the intake is off.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If they are the last place to have done the oil change, i.e. window sticker, then I would say you have a strong case against them as they should have advised you about the leak if it was present at the time of service. If it was not then they were the last to have hands on it, they own it. How long between oil change and notice of leak, days, weeks, months? How much oil "leaked" out. The closer you are to the date of service the more validity it gives you.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was 2 weeks after the oil change. The whole bottom of my truck was covered in oil. Between arguing with them, the dealership and Ram I got sick of dealing with it and settled for 1/2 the cost from the oil change place. Mostly because I have the part and cannot find the crack. I had the dealership also send me a
If they are the last place to have done the oil change, i.e. window sticker, then I would say you have a strong case against them as they should have advised you about the leak if it was present at the time of service. If it was not then they were the last to have hands on it, they own it. How long between oil change and notice of leak, days, weeks, months? How much oil "leaked" out. The closer you are to the date of service the more validity it gives you.

picture of the crack and this is what they sent. Although I still do not see a crack

94C74063-B984-4ACC-8625-8F8B7B71FBF5.jpeg

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Has anyone else had an issue where there oil cooler was cracked? Took my truck to the dealership today due to leaking oil. After looking at my truck they stated that the oil cooler was cracked. The dealership stated normally this part is covered under the power train warranty but since it was cracked and my last oil change wasn’t there I will need to pay for the replacement $1,178.
ya they don't care just $$$$ signs go to a local shop get a upgrade cooler install a lot cheaper bet 300.00 ok ya there cooler to small i ve seen on hot 105 days they crack cheaply made too ! go to a truck high performance shoop for a new cooler ok that be better price like here they install 200.00 ! that's were I ll go when mine goes !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
It was 2 weeks after the oil change. The whole bottom of my truck was covered in oil. Between arguing with them, the dealership and Ram I got sick of dealing with it and settled for 1/2 the cost from the oil change place. Mostly because I have the part and cannot find the crack. I had the dealership also send me a

picture of the crack and this is what they sent. Although I still do not see a crack

View attachment 188493
wash it all off degreaser and all maybe some one at oil change threw oil on it was done to my axal when I went to sell it at a shop I no longer got too ! i wash under my truck before I went to shop so it was all dry and clean hour earlier sad right some do **** to are truck then once have had oil filter not tighten turn to tighten after lost oil 2 gts aftere park oil all over street sucks ! oh a big dent in oil pan after was fine before I went there checked for any leaks before I go ! oil change I look at work done to made sure no funny business going on now ! hope was just a ahole who put oil on it ! ow sorry thats not good set up yuck just replace it all ! mine is different guess !

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I can't tell anything from that pic. These things can leak from the o rings on the pipe nipples on the bottom of the assembly as well.

You can't see any of it when it's installed and the block valley holds like 1-2 QUARTS of oil before it will start to dribble down.

This whole filter/cooler design and where it's located is horrible.

OP
OP
bmclark25

bmclark25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And your surprised that the dealer wouldn’t cover it

Yes. It should be covered under the powertrain warranty as the part failed. I would expect them to honor their warranty. Keep in mind they are not honoring the warranty because the part is "cracked". There is not a crack in the part.