Oil filler cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
Yesterday I lifted the hood on my 2500 to change the oil to find that my filler cap was missing. I'm not sure how long it has been missing, haven't had the hood open in a while. I finished my oil change and stuffed a rag in the hole till I could get another cap. I looked online at 4 different parts stores only to find they didn't cary the part. From the looks of things this is a dealer only piece.

Today I decided to try something. I find it hard to believe that FCA would make a one off part just for RAM engine covers. Would a cap from another vehicle work? I tried looking up other Hemi cars, but no luck there either. As a last ditch effort I walked next door and took the filler cap off my Dad's '14 Grand Caravan. Not a v8, I know, but I gave it a try and it fit! I went into my local Auto Zone and had them look up the part for my truck....they didn't have it as I expected. Then I told them about the van cap fitting, and he went and got me one. I installed it and went about my day.

$18-25 for a Mopar replacement cap. Duralast cap for the van was about $9 with tax. The only thing I can think of that makes the OEM cap unique is the oil recommendation printed on it. The cap I bought only says oil on it.