Oil filter change on PW… dang!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a way to change the oil filter on these truck without making a mess? Dropping the filter didn’t help me.

do I need that tray underneath the oil filter area?

thanks!

Attachments

• 5BD2FFB5-8230-404B-A11C-E22106B4A32F.jpeg
    5BD2FFB5-8230-404B-A11C-E22106B4A32F.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 50
  • CA81FD04-CF35-4C7C-A8B7-0DDE9E5320B5.jpeg
    CA81FD04-CF35-4C7C-A8B7-0DDE9E5320B5.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 51

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2020 and mine is painless. One of the easiest filters I have changed. There is a tray there to catch any drips.

OP
OP
Corvette427

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right. I have a tray but was thinking about removing. Maybe I won’t.

I like seeing the face of the sealing area to wipe and make it is free of debris. Also I like filling up the filter with oil, not on this setup.
Oh well my only tiny complaint. Thank you.

Attachments

• EDA77271-766B-4488-AE3E-548B209E0C0A.jpeg
    EDA77271-766B-4488-AE3E-548B209E0C0A.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having changed the oil 5 or 6 times atleast on mine i thought of making a video or tutorial with photo. the key to not spilling it (which also applies to any other engine) is dont immediatly pull the filter off the engine block or youll get a surge of oil . 6.4 is quit easy to change compared to some other vehicles

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yup. one of the cleanest oil change jobs I've had to do. The built in drip tray is super nice.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
mine had the drip tray I ripped that mojo off the original filter was on so tight from the oem I had to rip it in half to get it off it was the same on 2 trucks I just put a tray under it and wipe up the mess.with the stock drip tray gone you can see the sealing surface easy

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
some do it like a ham ****** wrecking ball. others more calculated and precise. either way works i guess

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
if my fists were like hams I could have taken it off.i used a proper filter wrench. to start it was on so fricken tight it just crushed the filter desparet times call for despaired measures. if it was on one truck ok but it was on two trucks wtf. yes I had two trucks the one I had first was a full loaded one I took that one back I don't need a truck that has a backup camera heated seats and all that easy to break **** thats hard to fix .ill be damned if I will take my truck to the dealer to fix that **** .dont trust them mothersf$%ks. Ido all my own wrenching and I'm cheap to have the oil changed would be about 200$ Its. rams fix for the steering is to weld the jam nut to the adjuster nut tells me they are morons. ill spend money on good parts (synergy steering kit). next greasable ball joints what kind of idiot makes non serviceable wear parts wtf ram hire better designers

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 didnt have a drip tray and it always made a mess. I haven't gotten under my 21 yet as it only has 200 mile's on it

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if my fists were like hams I could have taken it off.i used a proper filter wrench. to start it was on so fricken tight it just crushed the filter desparet times call for despaired measures. if it was on one truck ok but it was on two trucks wtf. yes I had two trucks the one I had first was a full loaded one I took that one back I don't need a truck that has a backup camera heated seats and all that easy to break **** thats hard to fix .ill be damned if I will take my truck to the dealer to fix that **** .dont trust them mothersf$%ks. Ido all my own wrenching and I'm cheap to have the oil changed would be about 200$ Its. rams fix for the steering is to weld the jam nut to the adjuster nut tells me they are morons. ill spend money on good parts (synergy steering kit). next greasable ball joints what kind of idiot makes non serviceable wear parts wtf ram hire better designers
i hear what your saying. my original filter was on a bit tight and needed a filter strap wrench but i got it off without a hek of alot of trouble and moved on with life.
greasable joints is a never ending debate. i think its well known that most people wouldnt grease them anyways. and why would they, they wont change the oil or rotate tires so they dang sure wont crawl under there and get some grease on their hands . if they wont get greased then a sealed joint is a better way to go. plus manufacturers have been heading toward long maintence intervals and maintenance free for years. i work on my own vehicles and like sealed joints but thats just me.
ya welding the draglink nuts isnt the best idea . sounds like a few of us went and got a new one and moved on. other people seem compelled to make a bunch of posts complaining because ram wont hand deliver one on a silver platter to their house

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
if you rely on the dealer to do your service you are at their mercy who do you think does the oil change a red seal mechanic.i don't think so some brain dead kid that gets minimum wage and has nofucks given.it pays to look after your own stuff if nothing else maybe you might spot trouble before it gets to bad. besides wrenching is fun sometimes.sometimes not so much but there is peace of mind knowing its done right nothing is forever all mechanical stuff breaks sooner or later

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I use a plastic grocery store bag and "wrap" the filter with it. Then I just twist it off. Bag catches oil and I have zero oil drips on the drip tray, suspension, driveway etc. Works quick and easy.

Oh and be sure to use a bag without holes in it as that would defeat the purpose lol

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a plastic grocery store bag and "wrap" the filter with it. Then I just twist it off. Bag catches oil and I have zero oil drips on the drip tray, suspension, driveway etc. Works quick and easy.

Oh and be sure to use a bag without holes in it as that would defeat the purpose lol
a quart zip lock works too.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
once the filter is unscrewed, let it drain through the drip tray for a few seconds. Tip it up at a 20 degrees angle and slide toward the center along the sway bar about a foot. Then there is enough room to get your hand and filter out.

Down2Ride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75A
Engine
Hemi
I just did the first oil change on my 2021. Filter was so tight it just crushed like an aluminum can when I tried to remove it. One just has to wonder why? Not going to lie it was a real pain in the ass. Next oil change should be a breeze.

Al Handy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018, what PIA to change the filter, I did not want to hang upside down and attempt from the top, so I change the filter from the bottom. I removed the drip tray so I could better access the filter, the first two times I took the sway bar bolts out so I could squeeze in to get the filter. I have figured out to wiggle my arm in now and the sway bar bolts stay put. :) I use a towel to collect any oil that spills from the filter, usually only the drag link gets oil.

BTW I am not using that small filter (same one that my Compass uses) and replaced with the NAPA/WIX SRT filter with the synthetic media: NAPA Platinum #47899

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the first oil change on my 2021. Filter was so tight it just crushed like an aluminum can when I tried to remove it. One just has to wonder why? Not going to lie it was a real pain in the ***. Next oil change should be a breeze.
Unfortunately, the monster tight problem on filters has been an issue for years on the 5.7 and the 6.4 hemi's. Their auto tightener machine at the factories must be set at 200 ft lbs. WHICH is why I always have RAM do the first Oil change, usually "break in" oil, OK, I know, U get a lot of comments on that but I always have the oil changed 1,000 to 1,500 miles after 1st purchase. Just how I am. All personal thoughts, all IMHO...

ADDED: Wife had a 2010 F150, 4 X 4, with the Triton Motor. WAT a royal PITA, that filter was in a place, unless U had a way to turn wheels to left, not something U can do on a stationary ramp, U were assured an oil bath. Sometimes I think there is a conspiracy on where they put these friggin oil filters. My 2006 Honda GL 1800 MC is a half way PITA, and since a Trike, I got no way to get it in the air safely, tends to be slightly messy, LOL.

Last edited: