Oil filter change on PW… dang!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately, the monster tight problem on filters has been an issue for years on the 5.7 and the 6.4 hemi's. Their auto tightener machine at the factories must be set at 200 ft lbs. WHICH is why I always have RAM do the first Oil change, usually "break in" oil, OK, I know, U get a lot of comments on that but I always have the oil changed 1,000 to 1,500 miles after 1st purchase. Just how I am. All personal thoughts, all IMHO...

ADDED: Wife had a 2010 F150, 4 X 4, with the Triton Motor. WAT a royal PITA, that filter was in a place, unless U had a way to turn wheels to left, not something U can do on a stationary ramp, U were assured an oil bath. Sometimes I think there is a conspiracy on where they put these friggin oil filters. My 2006 Honda GL 1800 MC is a half way PITA, and since a Trike, I got no way to get it in the air safely, tends to be slightly messy, LOL.
I did my first change myself at 1010 miles on my 2020 6.4L and mine was not overly tight. I was able to twist it off by hand and I am an old beat down drunk. I guess twisting bottle tops has some value...

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I did the bag for a while, but I also ways got impatient and the oil would shrink the bag or usually had a hole in it.

look around for a "oil filter plug" that fits your engine. This one is for the CTDs

Capture.JPG

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the bag for a while, but I also ways got impatient and the oil would shrink the bag or usually had a hole in it.

look around for a "oil filter plug" that fits your engine. This one is for the CTDs

View attachment 464501

not sure how you would you would use that on a Hemi 6.4? Seems like you would make a heck of a mess trying.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Strategic tools and equipment company makes an excellent removal tool .They havethree different sizes one is for the small filter , another is for the SRT FILTER . I don’t recall which Is which ,however these work great.
OFRO1 OFRO2 OFRO3 are they individual numbers

TA-PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did my first oil change on my new to me 2018, and I found it to be really quite a clean process, I just loosened the filter until it drained through the tray into my drain pan once it stopped draining, I spun it off and removed it in the upright position down from the bottom. Worked quite well, a couple of drops here and there but not bad.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
toss a 5 gallon bucket under it for your drain pan. works perfect.

Gort

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Unfortunately, the monster tight problem on filters has been an issue for years on the 5.7 and the 6.4 hemi's. Their auto tightener machine at the factories must be set at 200 ft lbs. WHICH is why I always have RAM do the first Oil change, usually "break in" oil, OK, I know, U get a lot of comments on that but I always have the oil changed 1,000 to 1,500 miles after 1st purchase. Just how I am. All personal thoughts, all IMHO...

ADDED: Wife had a 2010 F150, 4 X 4, with the Triton Motor. WAT a royal PITA, that filter was in a place, unless U had a way to turn wheels to left, not something U can do on a stationary ramp, U were assured an oil bath. Sometimes I think there is a conspiracy on where they put these friggin oil filters. My 2006 Honda GL 1800 MC is a half way PITA, and since a Trike, I got no way to get it in the air safely, tends to be slightly messy, LOL.

As far as the factory-installed filters go, every single one of mine was on there like they paid The Hulk to put them on, and paid him by the ft-lb. On the 1500s, it was so tight up there I always had issues working the band wrench. So I got one of these tools and it works great. More room on the 2500 6.4, and that drip tray is awesome.

filter_tool.jpg