Oil filter dumb and dumber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
‘22 4x4. Why… just why… is the oil filter executed the way it is? You can’t even get a wrench on it from any angle. I’ve read on here the factory tightens it a lot… but I think it’s normal, it’s just impossible to get any purchase on it both taking it off and putting it on. And let’s not go in to how the anti sway bar splits the oil stream out of the pan such that no catch pan could contain both streams. It’s obvious all the effort went in to the interior on this truck. Which ok with me because I spend more time in there than changing oil but holy smokes Chrysler or whoever you are now. That’s embarrassing maintenance design. Smart way to drive customers to your dealers, it’s going to work on me at least. I bet those techs hate you!

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power driver makes that an easy job. No getting around not being to touch the thing with a wrench. I though it was going to have to drill holes in it and screw in some screws to lever it off with a screwdriver

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
‘22 4x4. Why… just why… is the oil filter executed the way it is? You can’t even get a wrench on it from any angle. I’ve read on here the factory tightens it a lot… but I think it’s normal, it’s just impossible to get any purchase on it both taking it off and putting it on. And let’s not go in to how the anti sway bar splits the oil stream out of the pan such that no catch pan could contain both streams. It’s obvious all the effort went in to the interior on this truck. Which ok with me because I spend more time in there than changing oil but holy smokes Chrysler or whoever you are now. That’s embarrassing maintenance design. Smart way to drive customers to your dealers, it’s going to work on me at least. I bet those techs hate you!
Apparently they don't care since the oil filter has been in that spot since 2009. Removing the oil filter on 4th gens is just as messy. They're not going to redesign the engine block just to relocate the oil filter. The sway bar issue is easy to remedy with an oil drain valve.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all you don't want to use a filter wrench on the oil filter to tighten up after you replace it. You're just asking for the same trouble and the potential to damage the filter. All you need to do is lube the gasket and hand tighten it. As far as the mess it makes, I use a gallon zip lock bag over the filter. I loosen the filter then slip the bag over it then unscrew it. The oil pours in the bag. I'll leave there for a few minutes to let most of it drip then I close the bag and maneuver it out being careful not to snag the bag causing it to rip. There will still be some oil that drips off the filter housing but it's minimal compared to letting it all drain everywhere. Takes me 15 minutes start to finish while doing it my driveway on my back

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U R correct though, horrible. But many more like it. Wife had a Ford F 150 4 X 4 with the Triton 5.4, U drove on ramp, drained oil, then loosened filter. Then U got in truck and had to turn wheels all the way to the left to be able to get filter out, or be a friggin magician. Since regular stands normally drive on straight, no turn like u buy for home use, always took and had put on a lift that had rotating plates for the front tires, just a saying, why I took to local shop, brought the oil and filter, just paid for their time and "enviro" fee.

I have a 2006 Honda Wing "Trike", U not want to know the positions to get filter out when U have no way to get 2,200 lbs of bike in the air, LOL.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First of all you don't want to use a filter wrench on the oil filter to tighten up after you replace it. You're just asking for the same trouble and the potential to damage the filter. All you need to do is lube the gasket and hand tighten it. As far as the mess it makes, I use a gallon zip lock bag over the filter. I loosen the filter then slip the bag over it then unscrew it. The oil pours in the bag. I'll leave there for a few minutes to let most of it drip then I close the bag and maneuver it out being careful not to snag the bag causing it to rip. There will still be some oil that drips off the filter housing but it's minimal compared to letting it all drain everywhere. Takes me 15 minutes start to finish while doing it my driveway on my back
Using a wrench is fine as long as you use it correctly. I have a hard time turning the filter far enough by hand. A combination of too big of a hand and oil residue makes it difficult to get it that 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the surface. So I use a wrench to make that one full turn. I agree that it's easy to over tighten if you aren't paying attention to gasket contact. If you can't tell when that happens I'd advise you not to use a wrench.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Filter wrench in from the front over the crossmember.

I use a couple of 1qt freezer Ziploc bags around the filter so I don't have to remove the skid plate (it's only 4 bolts and a few extra minutes but if I don't have to...)

It took a few changes to get decent at it but now it's not as frustrating as when I first started.

I installed a Valvomax on the pan to prevent dripping all over the sway bar.

I hear you on the Ford. My wife has a 2020 Ranger and you have to remove the left front wheel and fender liner to get to the filter...which is installed HORIZONTALLY. It's so bad that there's a plastic trough that Ford has made that is mounted to the frame to catch the oil and funnel it. If you don't know about the trough the oil will drain out about a foot behind where you expect it to.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just ordered this remote filter oil relocation kit. Problem solved and now I get to run larger oil filters as well.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oil relocation kit a good idea, how hard to install it when you can’t touch where it goes?

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell me you havent own vehicles with actual hard to get to oil filters without telling me... lol.. ;)
I have never owned another car where the filter wasn’t an easy reach aside from the ‘17 ram, which was nowhere near as bad as this ‘22!

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oil relocation kit a good idea, how hard to install it when you can’t touch where it goes?

I haven't got it yet, still being shipped out. Seems like its a pretty straight forward install, with mounting plates designed specifically for the 5th gen (they also ship a model for the 4th gen). Otherwise I'm sure a mechanic can install it for you.

OP
OP
S

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't got it yet, still being shipped out. Seems like its a pretty straight forward install, with mounting plates designed specifically for the 5th gen (they also ship a model for the 4th gen). Otherwise I'm sure a mechanic can install it for you.
Link to what you bought and post install update appreciated, thanks in advance!

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Link to what you bought and post install update appreciated, thanks in advance!
PCA4208 did a writeup when he installed one. Looks like a solid (but pricey) answer to the 4th Gen Hemi filter headache.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Watch this.

The filter is in the same location on the 6.4. You can either go in the front or from the bottom to get it.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using a wrench is fine as long as you use it correctly. I have a hard time turning the filter far enough by hand. A combination of too big of a hand and oil residue makes it difficult to get it that 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the surface. So I use a wrench to make that one full turn. I agree that it's easy to over tighten if you aren't paying attention to gasket contact. If you can't tell when that happens I'd advise you not to use a wrench.
I still use the larger oil filter on my 21 BTS as I used on my 11 Ram and I have zero problems tightening the filter by hand and my mits are large. Everyone has their own way that works for them so stick to what works for you. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and counting and you have no idea the stupidity I've had to deal with because people thought they were mechanics themselves.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I still use the larger oil filter on my 21 BTS as I used on my 11 Ram and I have zero problems tightening the filter by hand and my mits are large. Everyone has their own way that works for them so stick to what works for you. I've been a mechanic for 30 years and counting and you have no idea the stupidity I've had to deal with because people thought they were mechanics themselves.
Agreed, use what works for you.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
U R correct though, horrible. But many more like it. Wife had a Ford F 150 4 X 4 with the Triton 5.4, U drove on ramp, drained oil, then loosened filter. Then U got in truck and had to turn wheels all the way to the left to be able to get filter out, or be a friggin magician. Since regular stands normally drive on straight, no turn like u buy for home use, always took and had put on a lift that had rotating plates for the front tires, just a saying, why I took to local shop, brought the oil and filter, just paid for their time and "enviro" fee.

I have a 2006 Honda Wing "Trike", U not want to know the positions to get filter out when U have no way to get 2,200 lbs of bike in the air, LOL.
I just built for my 08 Wing Motor Trike a ramp and ran it up. I also made a semi-circular cut in the front shield. Easy peasey.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just built for my 08 Wing Motor Trike a ramp and ran it up. I also made a semi-circular cut in the front shield. Easy peasey.
Have no place for ramp in garage. I am able to change the filter and drain while on ground, but it is a mission of greek contortions, LOL.