Oil filter fell off!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I've had the dealer not tighten the oil filter THREE TIMES!!! pulled out the next morning to oil on the garage floor. Let them know, the service manager shrugged his shoulders. That's ok, Ram is still under warranty and the dealer does all the maintenance, so any problems, it's their issue.
Sounds like he needs to be replaced with someone who has a few more brain cells and knows how to use them

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A lady at my work asked if I could check her oil. She thought the level was high and just had the dealer change it. 2000-ish Nissan frontier 4 cylinder.

So, I checked the level, and it was overfilled, almost 1-1/2 qts. too much.

I drained the excess, and she went down to the dealer to ream them out. Don't think anything ever came of it. People just take no pride in their work, IMO.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
This is why the dealer does EVERY oil change on my truck. # 1 thats about the only service a dealer does thats comparable to what the oil, filter and disposal costs me by the time I figure my time, gas to parts store and oil disposal etc. And like someone else said, if the plug falls out of filter falls off they pay. AND CARFAX has a record of every service ever done....the free wash isn't bad either.
Free wash at mine = free scratches and rubber squeegee marks on your vehicle.

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a scary event. I had my oil changed/tires rotated a few weeks ago. (The location is closed now, the owner died suddenly from a cardiac event)

Anyway, I went through one of those drive through car washes that does the under carriage. As I hit the highway, I heard an awful crashing sounds and immediately pulled over. The oil pressure light came on as well. I looked under the truck and oil was pouring out....at first I could not tell where from due to the mess.

I had it towed home and got to looking. The only thing I can figure is the filter was loosened or loosening and the car wash made it worse. I went ahead and did a complete change on my own and all seems ok but it sure spooked me. A little google-fu shows several events with RAM trucks having loosened filters.
This is why I do my own oil changes and use quality products I only use
Fleetguard filters on my 2017 Ram 2500

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hmmm, either my son or I do my oil changes but I too have experienced severely loosened oil filters. Perhaps there is another reason for them coming loose???

Elzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not just Ram. I've got a 2022 Silverado 5.3. I did an oil change on it in December with `5k on the clock. I used all AC Delco oil and filter to satisfy the warranty should I need to use it. Pulled into the driveway one day to see all sorts of oil drips where I park. Long story short, apparently there's a TSB to tighten an AC Delco filter an extra quarter turn on the 5.3 due to them loosening up! I bought a Fram filter and moved on without issue.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve seen my come loose twice after Dealership changed oil/filter - noticed drips in driveway. The head service man suggests another 1/4 turn with oil wrench. I do it every time now. There are a few posts in here about that. Glad you caught it quickly!!
Yep, I'm one of those posts. Had this on 3 separate occasions. Drips on the driveway.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had mine changed about 2-3 weeks ago, wife noticed a bit of oil on garage floor, it looked more old then new oil, so back down to shop, they checked and figured maybe hadn't cleaned it off after the change. It has not happened since.
I have changed my own for years, except with this truck, and I don't have ramps anymore.

My son in law worked in tire shop after he retired from AF and the "oil teck" broom pusher changed the oil in a chev minvan, he backed it out , and lady made it a few blocks and the lights came on and starting knocking. Think he screwed the gasket or doubled them up, You could see the trail of oil out of the shop.

It cost the shop a new motor. and the kid was out the door

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
another story from about 20 yrs ago, Son was shop manager at large GM dealership.
A new chev sold to a lady, forget what happened, loose filter I think.
She drove it for a month , with the red light, cel lights on.
Motor finally packed it in.
She did not get a new motor, had to pay for it because she did not stop and check why the warning lights where on.
She got a lawyer, but he knew that he could not win the case.
They ( shop) or GM? did cover the labour cost, but not the price of the new motor.
Son also told me that every new Duramax that came in had to have a lot of work on it before it could be sold. BTW he is the one that did the New Yorker in my picture, then his son took it over, so 3 generations for it.

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Driving a 2002 Cummins, I always change my oil. The cost is much more for the Cummins than my cost to change it. I have quit using a local shop to change the Town and Country because I became used to changing it on my Cummins. Never had a problem with the local shop not getting the filter tight and I did use them for several years.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a PITA due to the filter location, but I still suck it up and enjoy most of it. I'm getting more efficient with the filter. I do it cold. I put my cardboard down, I cover everything then let her rip into a big storage bin. I'm over being gentle. Hand tighten filter and it's always way tighter than I left it when I go to remove it on the next round. Add my lubegard and PUP, just switched to 5w30 at 54K. Always ran 5w20 until now. Still no tick though. She's pretty quiet for a Hemi. My former LS1 will always be my favorite but I love this Hemi!

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a scary event. I had my oil changed/tires rotated a few weeks ago. (The location is closed now, the owner died suddenly from a cardiac event)

Anyway, I went through one of those drive through car washes that does the under carriage. As I hit the highway, I heard an awful crashing sounds and immediately pulled over. The oil pressure light came on as well. I looked under the truck and oil was pouring out....at first I could not tell where from due to the mess.

I had it towed home and got to looking. The only thing I can figure is the filter was loosened or loosening and the car wash made it worse. I went ahead and did a complete change on my own and all seems ok but it sure spooked me. A little google-fu shows several events with RAM trucks having loosened filters.
Hmm, I've never heard of that happening to anybody,...ever. bizarre. I'd never take back to wherever you had it done unless you did and it came loose but again, never heard that before.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very odd. Even if the filer was loose it would have to make 8-10 rotations to clear the thread. After one or two rotationS all the oil would be pumped out in a matter of seconds. Did you inspect the filter threads, possibly not threaded correctly or wrong thread from the filter manufacturer.