Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
My 2500 came with the Mopar oil filter. I did a change around 1500 miles since I wanted to make sure there was some quality oil in it (could NOT find out what it came with). Used the same Mopar filter.

Ordered new filter for the next change... same Mopar filter. The threads on it look blunted. I'm not even going to try it. I saw another guy online had exact same issue with Mopar filter.

What is the best oil filter for the CTD?

After lots of research, there are these:
Fleetguard LF16035
Amsoil AEO-80

Don't have an Amsoil supplier near me and they're not on Amazon.

I plan to change the oil more often than the recommended interval... probably every 6000-7500 miles (that's my annual mileage). Even with that, I want to keep the oil well-filtered so don't tell me "it doesn't matter what filter you use since you're changing oil so often". Thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Probably a few hundred billion miles have been racked up using Fleetguard filters on Cummins engines..and before it was Fleetguard it was known a Cummins Filtration.
If your not working the engine for the duration of the 6K-7K miles a year, that engine is going to suffer more damage from boredom than anything else.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordered new filter for the next change... same Mopar filter. The threads on it look blunted. I'm not even going to try it. I saw another guy online had exact same issue with Mopar filter.

!

im not sure the thread profile design on that filter but those so called blunted threads would be intentional, not a manufacturing mistake as your suggesting. my expertise isnt in threaded fasteners but if you want to know more about those particular threads, the folks on any of the machinist, science or engineering forums could answer any specific question you had regarding the blunted thread

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
im not sure the thread profile design on that filter but those so called blunted threads would be intentional, not a manufacturing mistake as your suggesting. my expertise isnt in threaded fasteners but if you want to know more about those particular threads, the folks on any of the machinist, science or engineering forums could answer any specific question you had regarding the blunted thread

I wouldn't have been too worried about it except someone else out there reported the same thread issue that they only noticed when they couldn't get their Mopar filter to thread on. They got another Mopar filter with the same problem. I don't want to find out mid- change that the issue is legit.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in 30yrs of changing my oil i cant recall getting a filter with buggered threads. the chances of it happening to someone twice must be astronomical x100.
as i said before, the thread profile was intentional. if the filter isnt started onto the thread boss straight, its not going to go on. no different than any common bolt and nut. laying under a truck, at odd angles, arms in a pretzel shape, sometimes in the dirt /gravel/snow, can make it difficult to get the filter started on straight.
im sorry sir but i believe you and your internet freind simply couldnt get the filter started straight, perhaps buggered the first thread. not knowing anything about thread profile, you mistakenly assumed the filters had a manufacturing blunder.
i told you were to go if your wanting the answer to every detail about those threads .
ill leave this here in case you have any interest into a bit of thread history. https://www.rustmag.com/gear/2018/1/4/threads-and-thread-systems

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He has not put it on . Noticed it out of the box, he was paying attention. If only folks paid attention to what they read. How threads get confusing?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2500 came with the Mopar oil filter. I did a change around 1500 miles since I wanted to make sure there was some quality oil in it (could NOT find out what it came with). Used the same Mopar filter.

What is the best oil filter for the CTD?

After lots of research, there are these:
Fleetguard LF16035
Amsoil AEO-80

Don't have an Amsoil supplier near me and they're not on Amazon.

I plan to change the oil more often than the recommended interval... probably every 6000-7500 miles (that's my annual mileage). Even with that, I want to keep the oil well-filtered so don't tell me "it doesn't matter what filter you use since you're changing oil so often". Thanks!
I'm only just over 2000 miles on my new 2022 cummins. I've heard many different opinions on when to change the oil. My dealership is going to be changing my oil and rotating the tires. I heard I'm running synthetic oil, but I have no idea what's in the motor? Any advice on when I should take the truck in to replace the oil? 3000 miles / 5000 / 7000?
Also, I rarely put the truck under load.
I know, I know....I'm working on it.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm only just over 2000 miles on my new 2022 cummins. I've heard many different opinions on when to change the oil. My dealership is going to be changing my oil and rotating the tires. I heard I'm running synthetic oil, but I have no idea what's in the motor? Any advice on when I should take the truck in to replace the oil? 3000 miles / 5000 / 7000?
Also, I rarely put the truck under load.
I know, I know....I'm working on it.
Your factory oil should be good for up to 12 months or 6-7000 miles, I would not run factory oil over that in stop & go traffic in CA, my self I will replace my factory oil at around 3K then go to 12 month or 10K oil change intervals, my next 2 oil changes will be with Amsoil 5w40 synthetic oil & Donaldson DBL 7349 oil filters (I purchased the oil earlier this year ( the oil filters are left over from my 5.9) as I knew prices would be going up and or may be hard to find like it was late last year, the oil will keep so long as its sealed) my self I will not use the bulk oil the dealership sells as each dealer uses what ever brand oil & filter they want to use (for non warranty) and not knowing what they use is not okay with me, if I choice the wrong oil & filter its on me, the oil I use maybe overkill to some but I used the same 2 synthetic oils in my last Cummins engine and never had a single oil related problem for the 15.5 years I owned it...

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you purely look at the science those Amsoil filters(Champ Labs) are pretty damn good for these trucks, but honestly it really depends on how you use your truck. Being an Amsoil dealer myself I'll let Ramcare happily change my oil/filters for "Mopar filters" and Rotella at my local dealership as long as I can get away with RamCare in the 1st two years with short OCI's. After that I'll buy a case of EAO80 filters and several gallons of max duty 5W40 Amsoil.