Oil filter: Ram 1500 SLT (3.6L V6)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Wife had a 2015 200 with 3.6L never had a issue with cap cracking or other issues now she has a Jeep GC with same engine same design and no issues. I like the design wish the 5.7 did the same less mess while changing oil.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
It certainly does make things convenient and avoids the mess as well. I could change the oil and filter on the Mercedes MH in a WalMart parking lot in 15 Minutes. I am o the road quite a bit with the RAM and do the same thing with it.

JOsworth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It is interesting that my RAM filter and the Mercedes filter I had on the van are almost identical in size and how they function.

That would be because Daimler "owned" Chrysler corp. during the development of the Pentastar V6... Dig closer and you will notice a lot of Mercedes engineering "style" in that engine..

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
That would be because Daimler "owned" Chrysler corp. during the development of the Pentastar V6... Dig closer and you will notice a lot of Mercedes engineering "style" in that engine..
Yeah, makes sense. Thinking back the cap on the Mercedes and the Pentastar look just about identical.
I also know there was a window in 2007 when Mercedes was switching from the inline 5 cylinder diesel to the V6 diesel that they employed some v6 gas engines. I never paid much attention but I wonder if it was the Pentastar they were filling the gap with.

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
I think I can close out this tread, which I started, with some parting comments. Firstly, thanks to all who chimes in – quite an array of thoughts & opinions. The old school part of me liked the spin-on canister style of filter mainly for convenience. In reading this thread, I learned – for the first tine – that the filter itself sits atop the engine (as with my dad’s Toyota Tacoma). (Since I just purchased the 2017 Ram 1500, this was new to me.)While this is still quite handy, one still has to slide under the vehicle to remove the oil drain plug.

As was mentioned my 1999 … Coup, there is some advantage to being able to remove the filter housing and examine the cartridge without draining the oil. And this kind of inspection is, of course, impossible with the older canister style.

With my ’97 Dakota, I never really had the problem of oil draining down my sleeve during filter removal. I guess I just developed a knack for it.

Here’s a pretty decent video on the 2 filter types:

Though I’m not really a “tree hugger”, I always disliked having to chunk my spent canisters into the waste stream. Discarding the cartridge element seems a little more environmentally friendly.

Finally, to Burla’s post – he mentioned as sources of adapters Perma-Cool, Trans-Dapt & Derale. I looked into that and found this:

Perma-Cool #1134
Trans-Dapt #1324
Derale #15761

None of these (via Amazon) seems to fit the Dodge Ram; drilling into the descriptions it referred to Chevy. I contacted all 3 vendors and - for all of them – I was told that the adapters fit only older GM (Chevy) V8 engines. They make nothing for Dodge and were unaware of anyone who did. With this, the decision about a canister alternative has been made for me.

So, in the final analysis, I’m given to accept the “new” design that uses replaceable cartridges and move on.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand that the oil filter for this engine is, for example, Fram TG11665, which is a cartridge.

I'm very old school and much prefer canisters (for example, the Fram PH16 on my old 3.9L V6 Dakota.)

Have any of you out-of-the box Ram heads discovered a canister alternative for this engine ??

Any thoughts are appreciated ...
there are NONE.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The question is, "waste" for who? A comparable filter for the 5.7 in my Ram is cheaper. Now granted I've only done one oil change on my wife's JGC but dealing with that plastic cartridge holder was a PITA and much harder to check for leaks and more than likely it's going to break eventually anyway. That "less packing and environmental waste" statement(from FCA, not you) seemed like a bunch of BS to me. Besides I bet if you did a poll on "cartridge filter on top" or "metal canister" underneath it would be 90% for the metal canister. Other than that one small thing I have nothing but praise for the 3.6.
Nope, think your assessment of preference for old metal can would not be the preferred use item.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter element itself on the pentastar powered Ram 1500 is huge, seems to be very effective and their really isn't a bad brand of them out there that I've seen. Swapping elements is a breeze once you get the feel for it. Nothing needs to be removed or repositioned and you can make the process completely mess free.

The problem is the filter/cooler housing assembly. That's the nightmare and a guaranteed failure point if you don't do your own oil changes. Even then they can fail.

Yep! Hope that filter housing lasts till the spark plugs need to be replaced and do everything at one time. An OEM billet aluminum housing is a pipe dream but why not cast metal over plastic? Ugh

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Ram has had the puralator boss filter and edge in it for years. It is quiet and holds excellent oil pressure. I also am running that combo in my R/T Charger.

OP
OP
MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 VVT
Treburkulosis wrote:
"My Ram has had the puralator boss filter and edge in it for years."

Was that a steel housing for the cartridge? Stock housing looks to be high-impact plastic.

When I looked up "Purolator Boss" for the Ram 1500, I came up with Purolator PBL14610, which is a self-contained spin-on canister type filter.