Oil Filter relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All,

I've found lots of parts to do an oil filter relocation (spin on adapter, filter adapter plate, hoses and an fittings) but not sure where the best place is to mount the filter plate for easy access in the future. Pretty easy change, once I figure out where to mount the new filter. Can run a larger filter then as well, if I decide to. Plus, planning to use a Fumoto 106SX drain adapter along with a Dethloff skid plate to protect the pan and adapter.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the filter adapter? On teh firewall somewhere? I'd like to keep the hose lengths fairly short but still easy to access the filter.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
All,

I've found lots of parts to do an oil filter relocation (spin on adapter, filter adapter plate, hoses and an fittings) but not sure where the best place is to mount the filter plate for easy access in the future. Pretty easy change, once I figure out where to mount the new filter. Can run a larger filter then as well, if I decide to. Plus, planning to use a Fumoto 106SX drain adapter along with a Dethloff skid plate to protect the pan and adapter.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to mount the filter adapter? On teh firewall somewhere? I'd like to keep the hose lengths fairly short but still easy to access the filter.

1st off tell us about your truck.
YM,engine,trans,4x4?,mods...
These are important things to tell us when asking for help or advice.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like the Good Book says, there is nothing new under the sun...this thread should shed some light, OP!

TXCOMT

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
"Can run a larger filter then as well, if I decide to."

Why would you even think of doing this?

Last edited:

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
"Can run a larger filter then as well, if I decide to."

Why would you even think of doing this?

All things being equal, a larger filter has two key benefits - 1) more oil capacity in the system, which helps extend useful life, and keep temperatures down, 2) more filter area means greater dirt holding capacity and therefore greater filtered flow for longer, before filter media saturation and bypass valve actuation.

All that said, you would need to make sure the new filter has the same bypass valve pressure setting. I also would not plan on going beyond the factor oil change interval. Think of it as a little added insurance.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I agree with these positive reasons. There is a negative reason too. #1 Engine warranty risks.

https://www.oildepot.ca/use-longer-oil-filter/

I have a 1978 Mercruiser 5.0 Liter engine within my boat. Current Mercury Marine engine oil filters for this GM engine which is still being manufactured are approximately 1/3 the size due to environmental recycling concerns. I stick with the high performance quart sized marine oil filter that it was originally designed for. I wasn't able to do the same with the oil filter on my 1978 Chevrolet 1.8 Liter engine. It's 2/3rds the size of the original, but still more than twice the size of my Ram 6.4L.

OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Well, I posted on the PW forum since I have a 2015 black PW w/42k miles. No significant mods (removed most of the decals, has side steps and a tool chest), so that tells everyone most of what they need to know to respond to my question. I do have a few mods planned, but nothing too drastic, and certainly nothing that would change my oil filter relocation question.

-Mike

OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with these positive reasons. There is a negative reason too. #1 Engine warranty risks.

https://www.oildepot.ca/use-longer-oil-filter/

I have a 1978 Mercruiser 5.0 Liter engine within my boat. Current Mercury Marine engine oil filters for this GM engine which is still being manufactured are approximately 1/3 the size due to environmental recycling concerns. I stick with the high performance quart sized marine oil filter that it was originally designed for. I wasn't able to do the same with the oil filter on my 1978 Chevrolet 1.8 Liter engine. It's 2/3rds the size of the original, but still more than twice the size of my Ram 6.4L.

Grand Mesa - Thanks for the link on the oil filtering topic. I have been studying oil and oil filters for years and seen most of the well researched articles on filters and oils. That article covered a lot of ground quickly. I'm out of warranty now, so not an issue for me.

-Mike

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
m25443. If you can find the room for it, suggest to mount the oil filter vertical, instead of horizontal as the factory oil filter mount is. My marine V8 engine oil filter is mounted entirely vertical. The benefits are that I entirely pre-fill during oil changes, it never has any need or issues with an anti-drain valve leaking back into the pan, start-up gets to full pressure quickly due there is never any drain off from the filter, and changing it is not something where the oil is dripping out all over everything below it.

To me pushing my 18 foot boat at WOT @ 4,200 RPM with skiers in tow for several miles on a hot summer day in 80 degree water requires the quart sized Marine racing/high performance filter to help keep the oil a bit cooler. Heat is something that I watch and it builds up, even though a boat uses just lake water and the oil for cooling. The larger the oil filter, the better it is to keep the engine temperature down. At WOT it is equivalent to having a fully loaded Power Wagon towing the maximum trailer load on a hot summer day up a 7% grade for miles on end. Glad that the PW use oil with the 40 weight rating for higher temperatures. Been changing my motor oil since 1973 and so far a bigger oil filter has always been better. Having a high capacity oil pan too is another plus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, vertical is the plan. Absolutely the way to go.

Plus, if you buy the right oil adapter plate, you can plumb in an oil cooler too, if so desired.

Selecting the right oil filter is a bit tricky, since you need to pay attention to seal dia., center mount threads and size, bypass pressure, back flow valve (yes or no), filter capacity, flow rate, and filtering size (in microns). Some tradde off filter capacity (size) and high flow for reduced particle size filtering. Racing filters (like the Fram HP series) have large capacity and high flow, but part of that higher flow comes from filtering only larger particles (like 40+ microns in size). Most auto filters are in the 20-25 micron range. Some external filters (sometimes called bypass filters) filter all the way down to 1 or 2 microns, but that creates high back pressure if used as your primary filter and you'd end up having almost all of your oil go through the bypass and not get filtered at all. That's why those are used in conjunction with a mainstream (primary oil flow) filter. Fortunately, there are several oil filter cross reference charts available online to help you pick the right one.

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Pics and a parts list when you get it done would be welcomed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45