Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Those are the bigger filters that are pre-electronic steering racks right?
I think it has more to do with whether your truck has the add-on oil cooler/heater then the steering rack.Way back before i went to remote filters,i used to use the 20-820 on my 14 with no issues,but i think anybody with a later truck that has the oil cooler adapter have issues with getting the filter to fit.The adapter shortens up the clearance for the filter,so the longer ones don't fit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That makes sense.
Ive never inspected mine close enough to see the warmer…
I think your 17 should have the cooler,next time you're looking at the filter,check and see if there's an adapter with small coolant lines going to it,between the filter and the engine block. It's #9 in this picture

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@DILLIGAF - isn't it amazing all the b.s. gizmos they added to what would otherwise be a wonderful engine? I was appalled when I 1st read about these on here, but very appreciative so I could defeat most of them.
Just like GM did dat horrible AFM/DFM system on their V-8's and killed em, LOL. I hate the MDS, but I just hit gear selector and drive on.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I think it has more to do with whether your truck has the add-on oil cooler/heater then the steering rack.Way back before i went to remote filters,i used to use the 20-820 on my 14 with no issues,but i think anybody with a later truck that has the oil cooler adapter have issues with getting the filter to fit.The adapter shortens up the clearance for the filter,so the longer ones don't fit.

My 2017 HEMI has both and the larger filter fits ... it's just a tight area to wrestle it up into without spilling oil out of the filter ... maybe I shouldn't fill it till the filter is full ... and removal can be just is as troublesome.

Last edited:

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^ what he said. I do it every time before I actually start the truck when I pick it up from recall or warranty work. The short run time from their bay to the parking spot will clack and clang every time.

I know its been said before on here but to avoid the horrible sounds of a short startup and shut down (like just moving the truck in the driveway quick) do a quick rev to between 1500-2000 rpms before you shut it off. No startup clatter next time.