Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I haven't watched the other video yet,but this video appears to be an update from 4 hours ago.

great find rick, totally explains every thing and tony stands corrected. 5 minute mark watch oil pressure differential on how those bypass actually work. @Hemi395 there ya go.

I always believed we are in bypass more then we think because there is no real way to push cold oil viscosity through media, and since all of the filters I have pulled off didnt have the vacuum effect, I know at cold engine I am in bypass.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Makes sense, always wondered what the point of that spring was in any oil filter.

EDIT Thanks Rick!

I've said for a while now that the best media known to mankind is completely irrelevant if the bypass is open more than its filtering. That's why I went to the SRT filters a while back because its supposed to have a higher differential pressure for the bypass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Which begs the question why oil filter companies show "bypass" psi ratings lower then oil psi w/o explanation. It is confusing, and like 6 years after this thread started we finally have an answer on it. Guess we still have things to figure out.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is what originally attracted me to the SRT filters. They have a higher bypass rating which means more oil is actually filtered. However after seeing the louvers weren't fully opened and seeing this info I'm thinking it would've put it in bypass MORE than a normal filter.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Interesting.

Engine wear is more likely at cold start up, so there's that possibility that oil isn't being filtered at all letting engine particle/contaminates cycling around in the engine until the oil is warmed up enough to thin out and reduce oil psi for the bypass valve to open, understood.

But, the feller in the video states that there isn't anything harmful to the engine other than fuel/oil blow-by which is normal and nothing harmful is happening ...

I'll go back and review the video, it seemed a little contradicting to me.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think the fact metal is dry at start up is why that is when most wear occurs more then contaminated oil. Turn off an engine it is hot, all oil goes away from that and leaves it dry.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
All i know ,is i like my dual set-up with the bigger 30-8A filters.I figure it should give me twice the flow before the bypass comes into play with the filters in parrallel
would a traditional bypass filter be a better choice? Usually used on diesels, but what downside is there to a bypass filter setup as oposed to dual filter?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Watched the vid again and I'm going to keep my place at the front of the line of those "poor 'ol southern folks" are slow to catching on ... that's my excuse.

... must have been that fellers accent.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
would a traditional bypass filter be a better choice? Usually used on diesels, but what downside is there to a bypass filter setup as oposed to dual filter?

Both are used on big diesels today, Mike. They used to be separate canisters, Fleetgaurd combined them into a single canister they trade named duplex, about 25 years back.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Both are used on big diesels today, Mike. They used to be separate canisters, Fleetgaurd combined them into a single canister they trade named duplex, about 25 years back.
What I meant was those duel bypass setup, one bypass filter next to a full flow filter, what downside other then cost would that have on a hemi? They keep good flow? Plus eliminate contamination from oil. I kinda doubt that fleetguard would fit a hemi he?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What I meant was those duel bypass setup, one bypass filter next to a full flow filter, what downside other then cost would that have on a hemi? They keep good flow? Plus eliminate contamination from oil. I kinda doubt that fleetguard would fit a hemi he?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear, I agree by stating how this is routine now days for diesels to help them last longer, then I mixed in a newer type of filter that makes it easier.
It's a terrific architecture for lowest engine wear.
If I weren't so creaky might have replicated Rick's setup.