Oil Filter Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Every place that I have checked says that the 20-500 does not fit the 2012 Ram 5.7 but don’t know why.
Threads should be the same so why are they saying it won’t fit?
I posted that, basically it is the 10-48 only deeper. It fits, but the fram ultra xg2 is also a good choice if you don't want the 20-500.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted that, basically it is the 10-48 only deeper. It fits, but the fram ultra xg2 is also a good choice if you don't want the 20-500.
I run the XG 10060 Ultra Full, with PUP 5W 20 tho considering going to 5W 30 due to heat and viscosity, may even check into 20-500, but I am the Unicorn here, my driveway "Princess" only has 20K on Odometer (owned 4 years as of 1 Aug).

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I run the XG 10060 Ultra Full, with PUP 5W 20 tho considering going to 5W 30 due to heat and viscosity, may even check into 20-500, but I am the Unicorn here, my driveway "Princess" only has 20K on Odometer (owned 4 years as of 1 Aug).
Yeah tb, is that the small fram ultra? I forget, if so run that xg2, I think it is the largest filter up there with hemimanns 20-500.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Awe no you right TB, that is a large filter 4x4x4, but apparently it is discoed. Gawd I hope they don't disco that 20-820 for all you boys wanting to run that. Do turkeys like the color purple?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Fram XG2 is a big 'ol pig, just like RP 20-820.

For us with petite engine bays *ahem*, either are too big dia. My choice was RP 20-500 or Fram XG 10060. If somebody will please (pretty please?) look at the chart I made for y'all, you'll see the RP 20-500 has more surface area. Hence, decision made.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You cant accept some guys like 20-820 and some guys like the 20-500? I think there is a reason why one is on sale and one is out of stock.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can have your more media, I'll prefer my extra holes. And we have called amsoil a clone filter, but technically I believe those also have less holes for some reason, meaning the 20-820 has nothing to compare to. Does the fram xg have more holes as well? thanks for the pic burn2k12ram.

696e679b-d86a-4804-a9e9-c62c95bccdcf-jpeg.499700

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awe no you right TB, that is a large filter 4x4x4, but apparently it is discoed. Gawd I hope they don't disco that 20-820 for all you boys wanting to run that. Do turkeys like the color purple?
I figure I really cannot go wrong running the XG2 or the full synthetic XG 10060 (I run XG 10060 readily available)(FWIW, my Dealer was none to happy when I handed them the FRAM to put in instead of OEM, TOLD em I wanted synthetic media, not paper, kinda gave me the look, but my SA knows not good when Turkey has ruffled tailfeathers, I am not known for being PC on my personal property). Purple, well, not dis BOIRD. Momma (wife, gone now) liked Purple. I can chew on the color, but prefer Black or Hydro Blue (wish my truck was Hydro Blue). I absolutely detest pink or friggin green/cammo green, etc (20 years in military do that), lmao.

Last edited:

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can have your more media, I'll prefer my extra holes. And we have called amsoil a clone filter, but technically I believe those also have less holes for some reason, meaning the 20-820 has nothing to compare to. Does the fram xg have more holes as well? thanks for the pic burn2k12ram.

696e679b-d86a-4804-a9e9-c62c95bccdcf-jpeg.jpg
When I get home from work I will post a pic of the Amsoil filter. I can actually post a pic of the fram xg2, rp 20-500 and the Amsoil EAO11 all side by side if you like. I have all three at the house. I know I went crazy for a minute buying filters. Lol

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
awesome buckeye

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gonna change oil in my '15 a little later today.

Have been using the XG10060 exclusively, but bought an XG2 this go-round. Hope it goes in ok, I sure hate where the engineers placed it.

I could tell them somewhere to place it

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I figure I really cannot go wrong running the XG2 or the full synthetic XG 10060 (I run XG 10060 readily available)(FWIW, my Dealer was none to happy when I handed them the FRAM to put in instead of OEM, TOLD em I wanted synthetic media, not paper, kinda gave me the look, but my SA knows not good when Turkey has ruffled tailfeathers, I am not known for being PC on my personal property). Purple, well, not dis BOIRD. Momma (wife, gone now) liked Purple. I can chew on the color, but prefer Black or Hydro Blue (wish my truck was Hydro Blue). I absolutely detest pink or friggin green/cammo green, etc (20 years in military do that), lmao.
They gave me pretty much the same reaction when I told them not long after I bought my truck that I didn’t have any intentions towards using that Mopar filter because I wanted one that had synthetic media in it and not that paper junk. I guess they’re just trained too much against it to not push for Mopar products.

If I would’ve had a lot more of the inclination to do it, I would’ve loved to of asked them how they sleep at night while urging people to use a cheap paper oil filter at the same time when they’re pushing for the the same cheap semi synthetic oil that may stay in there upwards of 8,000+ miles if the oil life in meter was followed but then again if using that strategy causes a lot more cam and lifter failures then that just means more money in their pocket so I figured, why bother… Lol.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They gave me pretty much the same reaction when I told them not long after I bought my truck that I didn’t have any intentions towards using that Mopar filter because I wanted one that had synthetic media in it and not that paper junk. I guess they’re just trained too much against it to not push for Mopar products.

If I would’ve had a lot more of the inclination to do it, I would’ve loved to of asked them how they sleep at night while urging people to use a cheap paper oil filter at the same time when they’re pushing for the the same cheap semi synthetic oil that may stay in there upwards of 8,000+ miles if the oil life in meter was followed but then again if using that strategy causes a lot more cam and lifter failures then that just means more money in their pocket so I figured, why bother… Lol.
Chances are they think "filters are filters their all the same"

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I bought my truck at a Honda dealer, and they had done an oil change (with a cheap filter), but the windshield sticker was only a 5k interval, except for that 1st one, near the sticker mileage

No mention of synthetic oil anywhere that I saw, but figured since the OCI was 10k miles, full synthetic was the way to go. All changes by OCI as well.

I did recently start using 5w-30 the last couple of changes, no noticeable differences I can see.

I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around spending $90 for some RL.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you dont have hemi tick being that your truck is 8 years old, I don't see any reason to run it. See the when not to use redline thread.