Oil filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Hello all,
I read a few threads about different types of filters out there. but didn't really find what i was looking for.

Years ago, i had a 7.3 IHC/NAV F350 the big thing then was to add on aftermarket fuel and oil filtration. Old timer told me on a diesel, change fluids and filters is crucial, it will last for ever. Is this necessary for the newer 2018 6.7L? If Ram is giving a 100k mile warranty, either the OEM filtration will make it that long, or the OEM filtration is plenty good. Not looking to over maintenance this truck, but since i tend to keep things for a few years. I need to make it last.

Same question for the trans? Add on filter or stock in pan filter is enough?

thx

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It is my opinion the OEM filtration is fine, after all, they are writing the 100,000-mile warranty. I think there is a massive online tendency to "over maintain". Ford had massive issues with their diesel in the past, perhaps much of this fearmongering maintenance come from that, or at least in part. Others simply want the best for their "baby".

I've got diesel land maintenance equipment, their recommended oil changes are after every 400 hours of service as an example. There are oil sample reports from Blackstone posted in other forums of oil from a Cummins with 15K on the oil, the oil still has a long life left.

I follow the scheduled maintenance for all my vehicles and tractors and never had an issue.

OP
OP
jvbuttex

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Thanks @BossHogg79 for the input. Yes i do oil testing every other oil change on my last Ram 1500. I will do some testing on this new 2500 and see how it looks. If the report is dirty oil, then I will improve filtration. Else as said, you don't offer a 100k mi warranty if you don't think it will far exceed that.

JOHN NIGHTINGALE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The oil needs the best filtration. Things have changed. Look at Dieselcraft oil centrifuges they remove solids from the oil where a filter only stops the soot from circulating. Filters fill up and are purchased again and again. Centrifuges are cleanable.View attachment 476405

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Years ago, i had a 7.3 IHC/NAV F350 the big thing then was to add on aftermarket fuel and oil filtration.
If I'm not mistaken that 7.3 IHC only cam with a single fuel filter from the factory. Your 6.7 CTD has two filters, one in the back and another up front.

OP
OP
jvbuttex

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
If I'm not mistaken that 7.3 IHC only cam with a single fuel filter from the factory. Your 6.7 CTD has two filters, one in the back and another up front.
Yes you are correct... but there are many aftermarket add on's for both oil and fuel.

David Feldt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 1500 big horn 5.7.I am thinking of using royal purple synthetic.I am in the eastern ny region.Which weight is suggested and what filter should be used.Tge only rp filter I can bring up is the 1048 3 inch

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2015 1500 big horn 5.7.I am thinking of using royal purple synthetic.I am in the eastern ny region.Which weight is suggested and what filter should be used.Tge only rp filter I can bring up is the 1048 3 inch
This is the Cummins forum. May want to ask your question in a different forum here?