oil for 5.7 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Moseley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2019
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have posted this several times, I repeat again Ram owners need not use 5w20 oil in there trucks, The only reason Ram does this is for CAFE Standards, I have had three Ram 1500 5.7 motors, and in all three i have used Delo 15w40 oil and the engine is much quieter and smoother the MDS has always worked perfect. I have put 188,000 miles on one 5.7 and 166,000 on one other, I tore down the 5.7 with 188,000 miles on it to see how the wear patterns were, the main and rod bearings and cam lobes showed to be almost new. Please do not believe this crap that you are told by these oil gurus or what the manual tells you, I have proved without a doubt that you are better off using real oil instead of your 5w20 water. You cannot expect water to protect a V8 motor with 400hp. It simply does not have the viscosity to protect especially in a high heat condition.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if the Delo's having a much higher content of Zinc Phosphate might be the majority factor. Reduction of ZDDP in gasoline engine oils came about because the snail darter lovers, tree huggers, et.al. swayed the powers that be to NOT micro pollute our fine planet!

I do believe that these issues aren't linear. Calling 20 or 30W oil "water" is a bit pejorative.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have posted this several times, I repeat again Ram owners need not use 5w20 oil in there trucks, The only reason Ram does this is for CAFE Standards, I have had three Ram 1500 5.7 motors, and in all three i have used Delo 15w40 oil and the engine is much quieter and smoother the MDS has always worked perfect. I have put 188,000 miles on one 5.7 and 166,000 on one other, I tore down the 5.7 with 188,000 miles on it to see how the wear patterns were, the main and rod bearings and cam lobes showed to be almost new. Please do not believe this crap that you are told by these oil gurus or what the manual tells you, I have proved without a doubt that you are better off using real oil instead of your 5w20 water. You cannot expect water to protect a V8 motor with 400hp. It simply does not have the viscosity to protect especially in a high heat condition.

15w-40, huh? That might be location dependent, I doubt my truck will even turn over in the winter running 15w.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in high heat Las Vegas and ONLY use 5W-20 and havent had a problem for over 117K miles. Mine doesnt have over 400 HP lol.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Joined today, 1st post, yet claims posted several times? Not here at least, and I'm sure not going to start searching the vast encyclopedia of knowledge called google

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also, 400 hp is irrelevant. My little briggs and straton calls for 10w-40 I believe and it sure doesn't have 400 hp though think of the time savings if it did.... hmm.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also, 400 hp is irrelevant. My little briggs and straton calls for 10w-40 I believe and it sure doesn't have 400 hp though think of the time savings if it did.... hmm.
Reminds me of Home Improvement when Tim raced Bob Vila on a jet-powered tractor.

hdwindjammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I'm not sure WHERE to post this question about my 5.7 Hemi has. But, here goes. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 that has RUST holes in the oil pan. I noticed some spots on the floor. At first, I thought it was transmission fliud but, when I went to check the fluid I could not find a transmission dip stick....dah... So, I took a ride to the dealership. The service dept told me that year Ram with the transmission I had did not have a dip stick. WHAT???? So I made an appointment to have it looked as to where the oil spots were coming from.. I was told the next day that my "Oil Pan" had RUST HOLES. I was floored.... a 5 yr. old truck with a rusty holes in the oil pan. I have NEVER heard of that and I NEVER in my life had that hjappen to any of my FORD Trucks. In ending, has anyone ever gone through this situation?? Maybe it's time to go back to a real truck (FORD) By the way this is my first and ONLY Ram truck I have ever purchased.. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oil pan rust hole: Have not heard it to be a common issue on Rams. In your case, it could be a weak piece of steel, or more likely, a clump of something like dirt which became contaminated with salt was unknowingly lodged between the pan and the frame for a time. If it's just a pinhole you could drain the oil for a few days, and put a bead of weld on it. But chances are the dealer would only install a new one. Because it's still pretty new, I'd vote to install a new oil pan.

How often do you wash your truck? Rams DO rust and maybe you commute or drive in a particularly salty stretch of road in the winter (??). Maybe she get's a real good salt bath for certain stretches at a time? You might consider getting it rust-proofed if it isn't. A guy down the street has a 2013 Ram and I could stick two hands through it's rusty rocker panels ..and I bet I could pick a nice hole in the cab corners. The box wheel openings area are, um .....really 'open'.. LOL. That's 4 years older than yours, but his rust holes started a couple years ago. Hopefully your isn't going down that road and/or you had it undercoated and treated the doors/fenders/rocker/cab corners (and that pesky area on the front fender). Photo below is just an example where they rust ...typical rust-belt rust.

1661959010943.png

Last edited:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I'm not sure WHERE to post this question about my 5.7 Hemi has. But, here goes. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 that has RUST holes in the oil pan. I noticed some spots on the floor. At first, I thought it was transmission fliud but, when I went to check the fluid I could not find a transmission dip stick....dah... So, I took a ride to the dealership. The service dept told me that year Ram with the transmission I had did not have a dip stick. WHAT???? So I made an appointment to have it looked as to where the oil spots were coming from.. I was told the next day that my "Oil Pan" had RUST HOLES. I was floored.... a 5 yr. old truck with a rusty holes in the oil pan. I have NEVER heard of that and I NEVER in my life had that hjappen to any of my FORD Trucks. In ending, has anyone ever gone through this situation?? Maybe it's time to go back to a real truck (FORD) By the way this is my first and ONLY Ram truck I have ever purchased.. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening
Actually This problem is MUCH more popular in ford vehicles, esp trucks. Their problem occured do to the primary/paint not sticking to the pans. Hense raw metal and rust. If fender wells rockers,etc. can rust so will metal pans. easy fix on any make, when changing oil LOOK AT THE PAN. see paint missing, paint IT- like POR-15 products.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I see you are in NY so I'm guessing it might be subjected to snow and salt as well. hdwindjammer gave good advice. I like POR15. I treat rusty areas with a rust converter first then a heavy coat of POR15. Maybe now that you need a pan you might want to check for a nice finned aluminum aftermarket one. Also, the lack of a dipstick isn't that uncommon. The Chargers are the same. Dealership will check it for free without appointment or you can buy one online fairly cheap now.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Actually This problem is MUCH more popular in ford vehicles, esp trucks

Yep - my wife had an '88 E150 Conversion van, noticed oil all over the back doors one day, sure enough, oil pan was rusted through. Some sandpaper, rustoleum, a self tapping sheet metal screw, and JB-Weld took care of that

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine us a 2012 I live in the south. My 5.7 oil pan has rust pits on it.