Oil for the 5.7 Hemi - Mobil1 IS APPROVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Every oil thread on here says Mobile 1 does not meet the FIAT MS-6395 Certification for use in the 5.7. I decided to look on the Mobil site. According to that site they do actually meet this spec, so at least for the 5.7 you have Mobil 1 as an option. I could not find one of their oils that says it meets the MS-12633 spec for the 6.4 Hemi.
I don't see in the info you posted that it meets ms-12633

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler/Mopar for at least the last 30 years
Has had a system that is still used today

To be a motor oil Certified by Chrysler/Mopar
They had to have a test area with X amount of engines & a series of tests that have to be preformed
The oil company also has to pay for Chryslers Engineers to take part in the testing. That is a multi month testing period

So it costs a fortune for any oil company to be Certified by Chrysler/Mopar
Say, for instance, 3 companies are vying for that Certification.
Only one company can Win the Bid.

For many years, Mobile One was the Certified brand, i don't know just when the were the bid winners, it was back in the Generation 3 Dodge Ram time period.
Mobile One was also the Certified Oil supplier in 2009 & 2010

Valvoline won the bid in 2011 & possibly 2012

Mobile One withdrew from even trying to Certify with Chrysler/Mopar
mostly because they did the math

Special Lab & paying for Chryslers Engineers to stand over Mobil's own engineers
when compared to Mobil's Market Share.
Mobil realized they could just sell oil without competing for Chrysler Certification with other oil companies & save money

Since Valvoline lost or withdrew from the Certification process
Shell Oil has been the Certified Oil for Chrysler/Mopar

Nothing really is saying that Mobile One or many other oil companies can't meet Chrysler/Mopar Standards.
Those Oil companies just are not willing to go through the stringent testing & cost that Chrysler/Mopar certification demands
Guys, all this bs arguing is really futile! With the exception of viscosity, all engine oils are virtually the same crap! What makes one better over another is simply marketing! But what do I know?

OP
OP
Dean2

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Guys, all this bs arguing is really futile! With the exception of viscosity, all engine oils are virtually the same crap! What makes one better over another is simply marketing! But what do I know?
Apparently not much, all motor oil is not the same, there are very large differences bewteen synthetic vs conventional. Even within those categories, the additives in the oil can be very diffferent, think Diesel vs gas formulations just for one, high moly versus no moly etc. There are some VERY long threads on this forum, including Oil Analysis reports, that lay out some of the very real differences in engine oils.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much just in conjunction to what a lot of other people said- from what all I’ve read, for the longest time, Mobil 1 was all of the sudden an unapproved oil when Fiat took over ownership of Chrysler because they were all about the the Pennzoil but when Fiat and Peugeot merged and because of Peugeot’s supposed love affair with Mobil 1, all of the sudden mobil 1 is an approved oil for Chrysler.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much just in conjunction to what a lot of other people said- from what all I’ve read, for the longest time, Mobil 1 was all of the sudden an unapproved oil when Fiat took over ownership of Chrysler because they were all about the the Pennzoil but when Fiat and Peugeot merged and because of Peugeot’s supposed love affair with Mobil 1, all of the sudden mobil 1 is an approved oil for Chrysler.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ do all the talking.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil = underwear...Everyone has their own preference based on not much, and no one knows what brand you are wearing unless you tell them...or show your ass.
I try and keep my backside/tailfeathers always proper and presentable, lmao.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You must have looked at old threads when m1 didn't have fca spec, we have updated this info over a year ago in multiple threads. Mobil oil always had the spec, m1 dropped it coming out of bankruptcy because fca owed them a ton of money that was dispatched through the bankruptcy in 2009. Would you allow someone to order more oil after they defaulted on ten of millions of dollars? M1 didnt have fca specs for a decade, but recently forgiveness must have won out to regain that market share. For sure an oil like m1 could care less about paying for a spec, in fact that is a good thing to them, because lesser brands cant pay it. So anyone having these specs is pretty close to monopolizing the market. OP maybe you should do more research before putting out sour pronouncements, just say'n.
Hmm, that’s the first I’ve ever heard of anything like that.

But one thing though, being that I would say it’s a pretty safe assumption to make that Fiat probably hasn’t ever had a problem with money, could that part about owing Mobil a bunch of money have been done while Fiat was in the process of buying Chrysler? Back during the bailouts of 2007-2008, Chrysler was still owned primarily by Cerebrus Financial and really going downhill fast, hence the need for being bailed out.

I guess I just can’t really see Fiat not paying that if they had complete ownership of Chrysler at that time. I can, however, see that happening while Fiat was in the process of buying Chrysler.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look around on here and read through the synthetic oil thread, the Blackstone lab thread and the oil filter thread and you’ll see just exactly how much you don’t know or thought you knew.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Penzoil and no hemi tick. I have no brand loyalty, i want what works. I put M1 or Valvoline in all my other performance cars and it worked.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A good syn is all you need....Mobile one...Penz....valvoline......they all work as long as you change them out every 5 to 7K miles. BTW....used oil is great for weatherproofing the deck on your car trailers and much cheaper than stain.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Penzoil and no hemi tick. I have no brand loyalty, i want what works. I put M1 or Valvoline in all my other performance cars and it worked.
I used Pennzoil ultra platinum 5W20 3 times before my truck was four years old and never had the hemi tick either but I just wasn’t happy with the amount of additive that was in it so I quit using it.

I’m interested to see how the Blackstone report comes back on that Schaeffers 9000 supreme 5W20 that I just got done draining out of my oil pan over the weekend but I’m really curious to see how well the Mobil 1 extended performance 5w20 does this time next year when I go to change it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A good syn is all you need....Mobile one...Penz....valvoline......they all work as long as you change them out every 5 to 7K miles. BTW....used oil is great for weatherproofing the deck on your car trailers and much cheaper than stain.
Bad thing is though, a lot of those oils aren’t even a real full synthetic and I don’t even think I’d wanna take the chance on running them much longer than 5000 to 6000 miles.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Bad thing is though, a lot of those oils aren’t even a real full synthetic and I don’t even think I’d wanna take the chance on running them much longer than 5000 to 6000 miles.

Yeah, I wouldn't push a Group III (catalytic cracked and hydrotreated crude oil) beyond 5,000 miles, esp. as sensitive as the Hemi gizmos are to lubrication contaminants (MDS, VVT, oil drainback to lifter roller & cam, etc.).

If I were to use PUP still, I'd add Lube Gard for the extra Moly (MoDTC in solution). I went to Red Line just so as not to have to fool around with supplemental additives. It's better base oil anyway (Group IV PAO & Group V POE jet engine oil).

I still change @ 5k miles, and still would even if I were working and putting on way more miles per year. If it wasn't a Hemi, I'd try to monitor UOA to see when to change.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I stumbled on something, when i was looking how products are selected to get the MOPAR sticker.
It is something that a dealership would use, like how they receive POINTs to figure out the discount from the supplier.

It also has the Part number for Lubricants & Chemicals

when we buy Mopar products online, we get everything through

Magneti Marelli® has over 30 product lines and has been manufacturing original equipment (O.E.) and aftermarket components globally since 1919. With Magneti Marelli® Offered by Mopar® (MMOBM), you can shop for more than 3,000 high-quality, easy-to-install parts for all major makes and models.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I stumbled on something, when i was looking how products are selected to get the MOPAR sticker.
It is something that a dealership would use, like how they receive POINTs to figure out the discount from the supplier.

It also has the Part number for Lubricants & Chemicals

when we buy Mopar products online, we get everything through

Magneti Marelli® has over 30 product lines and has been manufacturing original equipment (O.E.) and aftermarket components globally since 1919. With Magneti Marelli® Offered by Mopar® (MMOBM), you can shop for more than 3,000 high-quality, easy-to-install parts for all major makes and models.

That's only since Fiat bought Chrysler out of bankruptcy.
What's next with Peugeot buying in? Maginot Line Parts?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is there free roadside assistance in California?

Services such as the Freeway Service Patrol (FSP) operate during peak commute hours (M-F 6am-10am and 3pm-7pm) and will provide free roadside assistance such as changing a tire, jump-starting a battery, or providing a free tow off of the highway.

1661920125303.png