Oil in Coolant - 2019 Rebel - Under Warranty? - Rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Good evening,

I own a 2019 4X4 Rebel, single owner, 52,000 miles from highway driving mostly.
I've done every oil change myself using the specified oil type, and I check the coolant every time.

The Backstory:
I am driving on the highway, and I see that my engine is getting warm, about 3/4 of the way to the "H".
I pull over to immediately check my truck, and there is oil dripping from the front right corner of my truck from the coolant reservoir. I then have my truck towed back. Dealer takes 7 days to look at my truck after they said 2 or 3.

Dealer states they did a compression test on the cylinders and a block test and that the engine itself was fine; no head gasket issue. I ask if they have done a pressure test on the coolant system, they said they had not (I don't know why they didn't- it's the very next thing I would have done). After bugging them for days to do it, they finally did, and they said Yep they think the oil cooler failed.

(I have been having to pull teeth to get this dealer to do anything. It's the reason I didn't buy my Rebel from them)

The Situation now:

-The dealership is not sure if the oil cooler is covered under the 60,000 mile powertrain. Additionally there is the subject of the Consequential Damage from a failed oil cooler which now requires my entire cooling system to be replaced according to the dealer. I called corporate and got a case manager immediately when the dealer started dragging their feet.

-I also have a 3rd party warranty through Assureguard; their Ultimate coverage for 8 years and 125,000 miles. I have read the entire language of my contract, all the parts of my cooling system are covered including a long-worded coverage for consequential damage. They have apparently told the dealership that they will not cover the oil cooler because it failed while under the 60,000 warranty.

So at this point, the 3rd party is saying that RAM is responsible for the oil cooler and therefor the consequential damages. This is a bold claim by Assureguard to interpret RAM's warranty policy. Maybe they don't want to pay for the repair. Who knows..

RAM's 60,000 warranty does not specifically label the oil cooler as part of the powertrain, even though it is a part of the powertrain function by design. So if RAM states the oil cooler is not covered by the powertrain warranty, then by the language in the contract my 3rd party is liable.

Also I am supposed to be in Boston by the 15th for a new job or I get fired for being a 'no show'.

Does anyone know if the 60,000 miles powertrain covers the oil cooler?

I just need to get this fixed fast under either warranty at this point. It's already been 2 weeks since I took my truck to the dealer and I'm incurring financial damages from this whole thing.

Thanks for any feedback on the oil cooler warranty!

-Snax

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like they're full of crap.Why would the entire cooling system need replacing?Replace the cooler and flush the system.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like they're full of crap.Why would the entire cooling system need replacing?Replace the cooler and flush the system.

They’re probably worried about the oil/coolant mixture clogging other components, which could happen. I would at least flush it a couple times and go from there.

As to the OP, if you pm me your vin and approximate mileage I can check which warranty covers the oil cooler. My guess is it’s likely covered under basic not powertrain but I’m Not 100% sure.

OP
OP
S

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
They’re probably worried about the oil/coolant mixture clogging other components, which could happen. I would at least flush it a couple times and go from there.

As to the OP, if you pm me your vin and approximate mileage I can check which warranty covers the oil cooler. My guess is it’s likely covered under basic not powertrain but I’m Not 100% sure.

Found the button! Sending Vin and mileage! :)
I appreciate the help, Tach!

At this point I would have ordered new parts and flushed it 10 times and been on the road already had I known this process was going to take as long as it is and still have no answers as to coverage.

I did call Mopar just to pick their brains. Both Mopar & AssureGuard are telling me the oil cooler, even though integrated into the radiator, is covered by powertrain warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque

I could see some of the parts and seals needing to be replaced after coming in contact with oil. I honestly have never had a good experience with this dealership's practices, which is why I drove to at least 6 other dealerships in other cities to get my Rebel.

I've been super nice to their staff, but to be honest I do not feel they are competent in their duties. Their service department offered to do an engine tear down before having even done a compression test or anything for that matter. And having to nag them for days to do a pressure test on the radiator and successfully verify the issue, is beyond lame.
And for them to not have any clue as to what RAM's warranty covers... I'm not really sure what to say about that.

To be clear, I'm not going to mention the name of the dealership on this forum because they obviously aren't here to defend themselves. That would be in poor taste.

But this has all been no bueno.

Last edited:

brad kapela

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 non e torque
man this sucks i think i would flush the system & replace the cooler at my expense so you can make it to your new job on time

OP
OP
S

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
man this sucks i think i would flush the system & replace the cooler at my expense so you can make it to your new job on time
I'm considering shipping it to Massachusetts and doing it myself, or having a dealer out there do it under warranty. Maybe I can recoup losses and expenses in court.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The engine oil cooler is external of the radiator isn't it? It used to be by the oil filter.

Still looks like that's where it is per the online parts or did it get moved?

Or are you talking about the transmission cooler?

Either way, I would flush several times and then change all of the hoses - probably end up doing the water pump also in the end.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's why I said flush,not a drain and fill an actual flush.Rad shops do them all the time for plugged heater cores up here in the north.It'll remove anything that shouldn't be there.After all it's just probably fairly clean engine oil.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think I'd be worried about coolant in the oil. If oil can make it into the cooling system, coolant probably made it into the engine oil. To me that would be a more serious situation.

OP
OP
S

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
The dealership has stated that no coolant had made it into the oil.

I went by last Monday, and they told me that they were ordering the parts that very day. I go back Friday to see what the status is, they said we just ordered them (wtf), they should now be here Tuesday latest.

Today is Tuesday. I go by there, and they said they just ordered parts today for the water pump and hoses. Well, I know for a fact after speaking with parts department from another dealership (Where i actually purchased my RAM) the the water pump was available and next day from LA.) So the hoses from Michigan they should have ordered last monday should have been here.
Why they did not order all the parts as agreed upon is beyond me. But this is costing me money and at this point I will take this to court for lost wages.

Where we are now: I'm waiting for parts that I was lied to about, and they told me the shop foreman will be in today or Wednesday. I told them to get to work taking the truck apart because now I'm in the realm of getting fired. I will take this to court for my salary lost.

This is very sad. I haven't worked in 3 weeks, it took 1 week, when they said 3 days, to allegedly diagnose the vehicle which I am not holding against them because of the cooties floating around and staffing. The service department hinted that if the issue is beyond the coolant system, they could expand to an entirely new engine. A little suspect.. I hope this does not get to that extreme point. I am covered under the warranty and furthermore under California law for lemon vehicles.

Last thing I was told by the Service Department: She left 2 emails with her higher ups to the region, no response, but she got ahold of the regional manager and they said they would do a 30/70 of the cost. So i would be accountable for $1400 of the cost. I'm thinking for convenience I could pay this, but from loss of wages from them lying to me, and I will go through the through the California legal process if need be, I'm owed over $1400 from my employer. We will play it out from there.

It's just the process, and I'm very fair, but there is an issue under warranty, along with negligence and lying.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I'd be worried about coolant in the oil. If oil can make it into the cooling system, coolant probably made it into the engine oil. To me that would be a more serious situation.
True that!They will half a** it for now and hope it's out of warr. before the brgs are all shot.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The dealership has stated that no coolant had made it into the oil.

I went by last Monday, and they told me that they were ordering the parts that very day. I go back Friday to see what the status is, they said we just ordered them (wtf), they should now be here Tuesday latest.

Today is Tuesday. I go by there, and they said they just ordered parts today for the water pump and hoses. Well, I know for a fact after speaking with parts department from another dealership (Where i actually purchased my RAM) the the water pump was available and next day from LA.) So the hoses from Michigan they should have ordered last monday should have been here.
Why they did not order all the parts as agreed upon is beyond me. But this is costing me money and at this point I will take this to court for lost wages.

Where we are now: I'm waiting for parts that I was lied to about, and they told me the shop foreman will be in today or Wednesday. I told them to get to work taking the truck apart because now I'm in the realm of getting fired. I will take this to court for my salary lost.

This is very sad. I haven't worked in 3 weeks, it took 1 week, when they said 3 days, to allegedly diagnose the vehicle which I am not holding against them because of the cooties floating around and staffing. The service department hinted that if the issue is beyond the coolant system, they could expand to an entirely new engine. A little suspect.. I hope this does not get to that extreme point. I am covered under the warranty and furthermore under California law for lemon vehicles.

Last thing I was told by the Service Department: She left 2 emails with her higher ups to the region, no response, but she got ahold of the regional manager and they said they would do a 30/70 of the cost. So i would be accountable for $1400 of the cost. I'm thinking for convenience I could pay this, but from loss of wages from them lying to me, and I will go through the through the California legal process if need be, I'm owed over $1400 from my employer. We will play it out from there.

It's just the process, and I'm very fair, but there is an issue under warranty, along with negligence and lying.
I'm not sure at this point that you can have any trust in what they do or say. I would want to know how they determined that the oil contains no coolant. There are ways of testing that. It's easy to visually tell if there is a lot, but not so much for smaller amounts. Which can still cause bearing issues. The fact that they said the repair could expand to a new engine tells me they are unsure how much damage has occurred. I wish you luck with this, and keep fighting the good fight.

OP
OP
S

SNAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
Alright update:
They tell me my truck will be done this Wednesday. I also went ahead and purchased a plane ticket for Wednesday night to fly to work in the event they are not finished.
If it's done, I'll cancel my flight and drive. If it's not done, then I fly.

I spoke to the Lemon lawyer, he says with what I have told him that I already qualify under the law. He says the law is very straight forward.
I'm going to give them until Wednesday to fix this. If I have to get on a plane and leave my truck, I'm letting this lawyer do his thing.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't you just hate cliffhangers?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m not putting the odds very high on a response .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You may have to file a case, the good news is your state protects you well, so just filing a case will likely end with a settlement.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When it is fixed, run rmi25 through the cooling system, it will take any oily greasy slime and put it in overflow where it gets trapped, just wet vac it out at that point.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP was abducted by aliens....