Oil in coolant.

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by widetrackman, Aug 16, 2019.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. widetrackman

widetrackman Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hey guys and gals...I have a 2012 Ram 1500, 4.7l.
    I have oil in my coolant, both the rad and in the coolant tank. No coolant in my oil. Engine oil dipstick has no milky look. Just oil. Can someone tell me what's going on with my truck. Tks in advance..widetrackman..

2. JohnnyMac

JohnnyMac Hold my beer and watch this..... Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 Laramie
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you have a blown head gasket.

18ram18 likes this.
  3. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    I'm not sure if those engines have a plate style oil cooler, so it's possibly a head gasket.
    You might not see the oil milky but it could be there, pull an oil sample and have it tested. The report will let you know if there is coolant in the oil and if there is excessive wear metal in the oil. It could be the difference between a head job vs a short block, although if you well over 100K that may be the preferred repair.

4. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    The 4.7 is bad about blowing the head gasket. It only has to over heat once and it’s done.
    Been there done that got the T-shirt too

The Blue Mule

5. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Did you tow heavy or have big tempature swings-warped heads? Pull sample to blackstone, if oil is ok head job should do it. Might want an new radiator as well and lines. RMI 25 will clean the oil out of the cooling system, but wont do a lot of good if you keep dropping oil in there. If you just go with heads either new or machined, you may want to run rmi25 with new heads for a coupe cycles. I'd be doing flushes maybe three in a row a month apart. Here's the issue with coolants, they don't have detergents so when something goes wrong, you need to add a flush, I have great success with rmi25, but there are others. new radiator cheap insurance going forward as it is already old anyhow, new rads like barely over 100 bucks.

could just be gasket, but I would want those heads mic'd by a pro to be sure, that can't be off at all. hw many miles? do pcv as well, maybe that is what caused in first place.

6. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    if I remember the 4.7 has a whack pcv, doube check that shit. Likely culrpit of head gasket is either warped heads or pcv blew gasket, if the heads are still good, you need to make sure pcv is open. Look into your pcv system.

If it is pvc, it may be "possible" to fix this just by changing pcv, even though there is a gasket out the pressure needed to push the oil into coolant my not be there if pcv was closed and then open, it is at least possible.

7. widetrackman

widetrackman Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Tks for your replies guys. The engine is a long block warranty job and now has about 100k on it . Going to try dodge for some possible warranty as this problem started before the warranty ran out. Hope is nothing more then gasket.