Oil level fluctuating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I have recently changed my oil with in the last 500 miles and on the day I changed my oil I noticed it took longer than normal for the oil to be circulated threw the engine seeing that it was making the out of oil tapping longer than normal. I shut off the engine and checked the level it was at the add even after putting the recommended amount in. I did add a half quart in re started shut off and check a second time now it read slightly over full. I have been keeping an eye on the level and depending on the day it's any where from add to slightly above full with out adding any additional oil. I always check on flat ground and let sit a few minutes after running before I checked the level. My question is what would cause oil to fluctuate that much

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Always check it when it was hot? I have no idea, but I'd keep checking it if this is happening. I would not worry too much, keep evic on psi or engine temp when driving.

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not necessarily hot but starting for a minute or so than let rest for a minute or two than check level. The oil pressure is steady and engine temp in normal operating Temps. While driving around town. Have noticed a slight tick on start up but goes away after a few minutes

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always check mine first thing in the morning when it has sat all night. That way you don't worry if it sat long enough for it to drain. If you check it a couple minutes after shut down one time and 4 minutes after shut down another time it can be quite different.

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes but still not the full range from add to slightly over full different. I was thinking possible blocked drain back port not allowing all oil to drain back. Could definitely cause that issue. don't think thet would be a common issue so i have not looked into that possibility

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what KKBB stated, check the oil cold after it has sat for several hours and with the vehicle sitting in the same spot. Also pull the dipstick and clean it off before checking it on the second pull.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Let it sit for at least 15 minutes or longer, with the dipstick "out" ,wipe dipstick off ,then re-install it and pull it to check the level. If you don't let it sit with the dipstick out for several minutes,you'll never get a correct reading,as the dipstick pulls oil up the tube when you initially pull it,so get in the habit of letting it sit for awhile with the dipstick laying on the cowl,before you reinstall it to get your oil level.

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have check the oil level in all situations from cold, hot, letting sit, and directly after shutting off the engine. In all situations I normally always got the same reading until this vary last oil change within the last 500 miles

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I check my oil its always the next day when cold, and I tried this have the hash marks up (that's the level marks) when inserting the dip stick into the tube and you'll get the same reading every time.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drain, change filter, add 7qt. Run it a minute, let it sit a minute. Check the stick, that's your full mark.

I'd guess that you didn't let it sit and settle at your first check. Honestly, about a minute or two is plenty for the level to even out.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, the only way you can check it accurately, it when it is cold , like the next morning. I noted that engine seems to hold oil for sometime like after a few minute warm shutdown while at gas station , lets say. But will completely drain back down by the time its cold. This may be indication of the the poor recycling of oil or circulation through out the engine. Which again may actually be causing some starvation for oil. This is really odd considering the weight of oils we use would readily flow quickly when warm.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When changing oil & filter
always put as much oil as you can into the filter, before ******** it into place. At least get the filter half full.
It is bad to start the engine with a empty filter.

Do you know how long it takes for all of the oil to settle down in the oil pan ?
No one else knows either
Check the oil when it is cold