Oil life when not driving much

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also a low mileage per year here as well since my Ram is not my daily. I change it once a year and usually put on less than 7500 miles in that time frame.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I change oil in my lawn mowers too and they last forever. I change oil in everything. I have three 4 cycle outboard engines on various boats.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I changed my 2016 Ram Eco-diesel motor oil at the dealership in February
Now it is July, on the EVIC, i had a message that read, Motor oil MUST be changed.
I only had about 2500 miles on the last oil change.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add the air compressor to that list for me as well!
I have an air compressor my dad bought in 1970. It has painted many cars, furniture and guitars, used for air wrenches, and so forth.

I think I might have, maybe, could have, but probably not, changed the oil sometime back in the 1980's.

Now that I think of it, I may have just topped it off back then.....lol

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have a 16 Ram 1500 with the 5.7. It currently is sitting at 76k miles. I don’t drive the truck much (about 7k - 10k miles a year). My question is with the truck being driven so little do I need to change the oil every 3-4 months vs waiting until my mileage is due? I do my own oil changes and use high quality filters, oil, additives, ext. but don’t want to be running my motor on bad oil if waiting for the mileage would be worse for engine life.
I haven't read all the replies, but I believe almost ALL manufacturers of ALL passenger vehicles/light trucks recommend oil changes at X Miles or Annually, whichever comes first. I drive 5-8k miles annually, so I get the oil changed, tires rotated and State Inspection once a year. EVIC "Oil Life" is generally 20-40%.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't see anyone mention it but one thing to consider, if there is a season that majority of the time the truck is parked, such as winter, I'd change the oil/filter before it gets parked. That way it is not sitting all winter with potentially contaminated used oil.
Yes. I only drive my Boxster 2-3k per year, but get it detailed, a state inspection and oil change just before putting the cover on for winter. I do make the extra trip to the mechanic in the spring if it's time for new tires.