Oil on spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IJW84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m changing plugs and found oil on this plug and also was all over my socket as I pulled it out. Anyone know the cause of it or if it will cause issues down the road.
No issues yet or CEL since I’ve owed this going 4 years.

7eb9c676dcb53b2adab365fdeeff1c9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m changing plugs and found oil on this plug and also was all over my socket as I pulled it out. Anyone know the cause of it or if it will cause issues down the road.
No issues yet or CEL since I’ve owed this going 4 years.

7eb9c676dcb53b2adab365fdeeff1c9d.jpg

My guess is your spark plug tube seal is bad. I think it will only get worse and leak more which I’d think would cause it to not fire as well which probably be most notable at idle and may cause a rough idle. I would imagine would cause oil loss through blow by. Mind you I’m not a mechanic just an educated guess for years of working on my own stuff. Me personally I would address sooner rather than later. Hope my 2 cents help.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is your spark plug tube seal is bad.

This for sure. If your spark plug socket was covered in oil you need valve cover gasket set which comes with the oring for the spark plug tubes.

Give Benny @AllMoparParts.com a shout in the vendor section and he will set you up with some gaskets.

OP
OP
IJW84

IJW84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok this is something I definitely need to check out

Thanks guys

rimshot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello All
I just replaced spark plugs on my 2017 Ram 1500 with 93k miles. On the passenger side all plugs were dry with the exception of 3rd from fire wall. It had a thin layer of oil about 1/4 of the way up on threads. I want to get this looked at and corrected. Do you think this is a piston ring issue or hopefully something minor? Thanks for your help.