Oil Pan Bolt Access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have an '03 1500 5.7l with a seeping oil pan. I have basic skills but not enough to hoist the engine or dismantle the front end to remove the oil pan (stupid design by the way) so hoping to clean it up gently with brake cleaner, and use the JB Weld paste to patch it up with. I also have half a can left of silicone spray for oil pans (hopefully can still spray it) and between the two hoping to get another 2yrs maybe outta the pan. Truck has 400,000km/250,000miles on it... in Canada, they want $1000CAD to replace the oil pan. That's not gonna happen.

Last summer I cleaned up the pan as best I can and spray sealed it and that part is still nice and clean. Now I can see where it's leaking from and it's towards the very back of the pan.

There's a "bracket" of some sort blocking my view of the bolts along the back edge of the pan. I found a pic online of what looks like what I'm talking about and the arrow is showing what's in the way.

Is it OK to remove that? I think about 6-8 bolts. Will it just drop out? Will there be any fluid gushing out (like do I need to drain the transmission fluid first)? If I remove it, do I need to put a jack/stand underneath anything to keep it from dropping?

Basically, trying to find out if I remove this bracket thing, will I be crushed by something or covered in anything?

Attachments

• Dodge-Ram-1500-PowerTech-V8-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-005.jpg
    Dodge-Ram-1500-PowerTech-V8-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-005.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9

Avsfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're safe to drop that bracket. There is a specific tightening sequence in the shop manual for reinstalling it though

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Ah, wouldn't have known that part... the sequence that is... what's the part called? I'll need to find that in the pdf since I'll assume also a torque spec as well.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine was leaking there. It was my rear main.