Oil pan replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok so I am tackling my oil pan replacement this weekend I’m sick of the drips.

Anyone done one? I am going to jack motor by the crank pulley as seen on YouTube and lower front

Also it’s like a baffle gasket. Would you guys do black rtv on both sides motor and pan side. Or none at all and just button it up with the gasket.

Any tricks?

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remember, heat is your friend for some of the diff bolts.
I didn't have to lift the engine on mine, only lower the front diff - my front leveling kit might have had something to do with that though.
I didn't use rtv, just the gasket.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't have to lift engine on mine just take the 3 bolts? out for the dif let it drop and jack truck up as high as you can go letting the axle drop down. I remember one of the bolts being a real pain in the rear best of luck as far as rtv I always use a little on both sides.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Remember, heat is your friend for some of the diff bolts.
I didn't have to lift the engine on mine, only lower the front diff - my front leveling kit might have had something to do with that though.
I didn't use rtv, just the gasket.

ok i also have a level kit, it would b nice if i can just drop the diff. that doesnt seem to horrible

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I didn't have to lift engine on mine just take the 3 bolts? out for the dif let it drop and jack truck up as high as you can go letting the axle drop down. I remember one of the bolts being a real pain in the rear best of luck as far as rtv I always use a little on both sides.
do i neeed to remove axles or anything or everything can stay in place and just lower diff?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do i neeed to remove axles or anything or everything can stay in place and just lower diff?
Just remove the main bolts for dif and let it drop thats it axles and everything can stay also be sure to use a few good jack stands to hold truck up front end needs to go up alot.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just remove the main bolts for dif and let it drop thats it axles and everything can stay also be sure to use a few good jack stands to hold truck up front end needs to go up alot.
wow this really doesnt seem like to crazy of a job then...

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please post pictures. When I do my Cam swap I’m thinking about swapping out to the high-volume oil pump and it would be easier if I drop the pan

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow this really doesnt seem like to crazy of a job then...

here is a decent vid forgot about small crossmember but that's easy Skip to 3:02 those where a pain in the ass for me few hours with the rusty bolts Also he un did the motor mount for whatever reason its really not needed I had plenty of space.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When are you doing your cam swap? Can’t wait to see your build
Whenever I win the mega millions. Lol. I don’t even play it. I just have high hopes. The plan is next Christmas I’ll order all the cam parts. Hoping this year to swap over to coilovers on my truck. Tight budget.