Oil pressure gauge fluctuation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dommayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Recently bought a 07 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 Magnum v8. Bought it with a check engine light, got it scanned came up as a cold start sensor.

I did what anybody would have done, removed sensor cleaned out carbon build up (was hardly any) and made sure it was mechanically sound. Put it back in check engine light still on, no problem I'll fix it later.

I notice at idle it bogs down to >1k rpm and just figured it was cause of the cold start sensor. Then things got interesting and only when ever driving for a long time or driving at 80+mph, when ever the vehicle comes to complete stop, engine bogs down to >1k rpm like normal but then oil pressure gauge drops to 0 then back to normal. Again just figured it was cold start sensor.

then just recently as I was driving (vehicle had only been running for roughly 10 mins at >45 mph) truck starts over heating and all the gauges start going crazy. So I stop the vehicle and coolant was everywhere. So I went in and got distilled water and put it in once it cooled down and saved the problem odly enough. My first thought was the water pump but the water pump is brand spanking new. (Still a chance but very slim)

Then just yesterday truck started to over heat, oil pressure gauge now fluctuates when engine temp gets to the middle and slightly over heats. Emptied the radiator and filled with radiator fluid instead. Still getting the same issue.

Is there any possibility that my ignorance in replacing this cold start sensor has caused all of these issues and what could have caused the coolant to spray everywhere in the beginning because it no longer leaks coolant anywhere it was just that one time and I have yet to replace anything so far.

OP
OP
D

dommayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I also forgot to mention on the front crossmember of the engine bay there is a sticker that says flashed PCM. I apologize for my lack of professional mechanical knowledge but is there any possibilty that the "PCM flash" has anything to do with my issues recently?