Oil Pressure Increase After Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
Hello All,

Does anyone know exactly where the oil pressure is measured in a 2014 5.7 Hemi?

I just bought the truck and changed the oil and filter (5W-20 full synthetic and a FRAM XG2 synthetic filter). The oil pressure immediately went up about 4.5 lbs after the oil/filter change. My thinking is that if the oil pressure is measured before the filter, then my new filter resists oil flowing through it more than the old one, and I might be getting less oil into the galleries. However, if the pressure is measured after the filter, then the new filter is probably passing more oil into the oil galleries.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Terry
Could be the oil. Mine went up aftere better filter and mostly all 5w-20. In it .

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The pickup puck (my name for it) in the bottom of the oil pan has a large-weaved metal screen covering it and sits at the bottom of the pan. This screened puck is connected to a pickup tube, directly feeding the oil pump. The screen is the first line of defense and prevents large particles from entering the oil pump.

(Note: Engines with a distributor have spur gear pump. Engine without have typically have “gerotor” pump.)

The oil pump is just that a low-pressure pump moving a large volume of oil and pushing or compressing it into a smaller space. (Refer to Bernoulli's principle) the decrease in space increases the pressure. After the pump, it flows to the outside of the oil filter media and is pushed through the filter media exiting into the oil circuits inside the engine. The oil is now pushing into the space between the bearings and the crankshaft journals i.e. main bearings. The oil moves through the main bearings in the oil circuits to the rod journals. The bearing clearance say a thousand of an inch holds the oil between the bearings and the moving surfaces on the crankshaft. This is how the lower end of the engine is lubricated. As a motor wears and the clearance opens to say six thousands of an inch or more, pressure flow starts to decrease to the top end of the engine.

I do not have technical documentation in front of me to confirm, however if you look at the placement of the oil pressure sensor, I feel confident in saying the pressure is being read off one of the main bearings. i.e. after the filter. I do not believe any automotive engine reads the oil pressure before the filter.

In the “for what it worth bucket”. I have a 2007 GEN III w/o VVT 5.7L 327K miles on the original engine. I use the standard MOPAR MO-090 oil filter with Royal Purple 5w-20. The oil gage will read in the upper range of the gage after an oil change, for about 1200 miles then the needle on the gage runs right in the middle.

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Full Disclosure the "HEMI TICK" is a colloquialism I have grown to hate, it is so over used to describe so many different things. It has become the "boogieman" for everything Hemi. Kind of like that guy, you all know that guy. He catches a cold however in his mind its cancer. I say this because his title is click bait imo. However what he presents is spectacular to how the oil system works, specifically the pump and volume vs pressure. I in no way am saying go out and modify your stock engine with a Hellcat oil pump! Take note he clearly states "if you are going to run a modified engine". However this speaks to several of the post in this thread, my disclaimer - this is for informational purposes only.;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLn4ZqluB7M

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recall in a couple past posts that burla put up a chart,something about go with the science...that xg2 filter showed better results than the RP...slightly,but better....I myself have always ran the RP but this last oil change couldn't find one to save my life..went to walmart cause of the chart..no complaints...pressures are all the same throughout the range and Temps from what I remember

OP
OP
T

Taspeace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking that the XG2 is a winner. I chose to use Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 and got both online through Wallmart, cheap and delivered free to my door in two days.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been using Royal Purple 5w20 and the small royal purple filter. This time I decided to use the larger royal purple filter but can’t find any. So, I opted for the fram XG2. It was tight but I got it in. However, I always fill the filter before installing and I had to tip the XG2 on its side to get it in…what a big mess. Ugh.
Anyway, based on what folks have said, I expect an increased oil pressure. Well, I got 1-2 pound increase at hot idle but nothing at 80 mph…still at 47-48 psi. Not a deal breaker but a lot of folks claim 50-53 psi. Oh well, still safe I guess.
I’ll probably go back to the small royal purple filter next time since I can fill it full of oil before installing and no mess. Plus, I have a stash of six.

OP
OP
T

Taspeace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the update. Yes, my oil pressure is around 53 now with the XG2. I keep hearing that the large RP 20-820 filter is no longer available, but that the 20-500 is as good.

I've also heard people say that it's easier to put the larger filters in from the opposite side of the crossover (or maybe it was a suspension component). If you want to go with a larger filter and not have the mess, you might consider using a small pump (even the kind that come out of shampoo bottles) to fill the filter once you get it close to the mounting surface.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the suggestions, for 2 psi at idle, it’s not worth it to me to go through the hassle and the mess. Like I said I have a stash of Royal Purple small filters (5) so once I’m done with them I’ll see about switching. Like most car guys, I just can’t leave my vehicles alone…. Need to make them my own, which often causes as much trouble for me as success. Ugh

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered a Royal Purple 20-500 because can’t find the 20-820 either. Every website says this doesn’t fit our Rams, but I know that’s not necessarily true. Just want to confirm it’s gonna work.