Oil pressure issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeRamSlT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok new to the site but am looking for some insite on my 02 Dodge Ram with a 4.7. Few months ago I lost a valve seat so I pulled the motor and sent the heads out machine shop said out of all these motors he never had an issue with the bottom end in them so I never changed the main bearings (90,000 miles) other than that everything in the motor was changed oil pump, pickup tube (Oring is on tube), motor was clean all oil channels clean. What happens is after the truck warms up and you stop at a light or stop and idle the oil pressure will drop and come back up. Sometimes it drops and doesn’t come back up but there is no knocking like there’s no pressure. I have a mechanical gauge teed into where the pressure switch is and when the truck is warm it reads 25 to 20 psi at a idle. Do you guys think I have a pressure problem or just a switch or gauge problem any insight would help thanks.

OP
OP
D

DodgeRamSlT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright it’s just annoying makes me paranoid it’s gonna lock up. I know the cheap sending units from rock auto and advanced usually don’t last and to get it from dealer but I’m just trying to see what some other people think

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a good mechanical Gauge and T it off the sending unit, make sure its a direct line going to your gauge, check on Summit racing they have the right stuff, a bunch of gear heads over there.

OP
OP
D

DodgeRamSlT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a mechanical gauge on it now it reads 20-25 psi at a idle when warm and doesn’t change when dash gauge drops to zero just seems weird it’s that high since the mop at manual says curb psi is 4