Oil pressure mystery!!

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Pulling that engine is simple. But there are some remedies that can help. #1 buy about 10 oil filers. #2 get some Kero and mix with 30 weight oil 3:1 kero to oil. Pour half (3 qts) in each side of valve covers in 6 qt batches. Disconnect electrical wires to coil. Not the ignition wire to the cap. #3, make sure you have a fully charged battery. #4 turn over engine a whole bunch. Drain that junk. Fill with 6 qts and get an oil filter. plug in coil wires. Start engine. DO NOT REV ENGINE! When thermostat opens, idle 5 min. Turn off. Wait 5 min, drain and swap filter. Do this a few times. When you think you have most of the mud and chunks out, drop the pan, check pick up tube, clean pan and pick up tube screen. Reassemble, replace oil filter. Add 5 qts w30 oil. Start, and observe oil pressure. 30# or more, run engine at 2000 rpm, 5 min. STop engine, Now this gets messy. Remove oil pressure sender, and remove coil wire connector…again. If you have a fitting and tube, put in open port Before cranking engine. Crank engine one time. Do oil change and add 20/50 oil. Replace with new oil send unit. Run engine and take for a drive. Theres carbon chunks in that engine. Very hard to remove. You can do this over a weekend. It doesn’t have to be done at one time. If that doesn’t work, rebuild and use flat top pistons. Good luck.

smtty401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel 12 valve
Check out TSB 08-22-99, see if that describes your issue.
I have the same issue, I think. The TSB calls for the PCM to be reprogrammed, but I can't find a dealer equipped to perform it so far.
Even though the oil pressure reads zero and the light and bells come on, I still have pressure.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Your First mistake was paying the shop you took it to $900 dollars and the repair/service work failed. You should have outlined a test time to insure repair was satisfactory! ( Warranty ) You should have gone back, which apparently you did. Your second mistake was paying them $300 more, with no better result. After the first $900 you paid, you should have kept taking it back, until they got it right. If that indeed required more money then so be it, most places will work with you.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because you bought the truck used, it’s hard telling what the last owner did or did not do.
That being said, all these ideas are great from other forum members.
One thing that I did not see mentioned, I’d replace or clean the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. A clogged valve will cause sludge.
Got tell you, looking at your photos of the valve covers, they were rough.
After all is fixed and your truck is running good, I recommend a good detergent oil like Pennzoil platinum, or something similar that has a very high detergent in it.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had 2 or 3 engines gunked up like that through the years. I would drop the oil and filter and put in a new filter and 3 quarts of oil and 2 quarts of diesel and run it a while then drain and repeat. You may do 2 quarts oil and 3 quarts diesel first then swap around. May take 3 or 4 times but it'll clean it out.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Well this thread started in June so the OP has gotten the engine cleaned out or has replaced it by this time.
For what it's worth I have cleaned engines out with a blend of diesel and oil. I would not recommend it.
With the valve covers and oil pan offf that engine I be tempted to pressure wash it to get out every thing possible
and then get it buttoned up and oiled and run soon to prevent rusting. Usually when an engine gets that cruded
up the rings and bearings are shot.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would be nice after all this help if the OP provided an update of what actually happened.