Oil pressure question

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m using the reading off of the dash screen. The oil pressure sensor was changed about four months ago because the oil pressure was all over the place, but the readings i get now are exactly the same as the previous sensor before it crapped out.
I would try 5w30 on your next oil change just to see if that makes a difference. Like I say, that's all I've run on my 2019 classic from 15K miles when I bought it, to the 60K+ it has on it now.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You need a scan gauge for accurate readings. and you need to bump the idle speed to 750 rpms .
Scan tool still is only going to read what the sensor is saying Ian,to do it right,he should remove the sensor and screw a mechanical gauge into the sensor hole or "T" a mechanical gauge in conjunction with the sensor

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They have aftermarket monitoring gauges that plug into obd 2 I wonder if they would be more accurate
They're only going to be as accurate as the sensor,and the oil pressure sensor has been known to give issues. The oil pressure sensor on my 14 went south when the truck only had a little over 20,000kms/roughly 13,000 miles on it. The replacement one has been good since,and when i "Tee'd" a mechanical gauge in line with it,the factory electrical gauge and the mechanical gauge matched

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’m wondering if i should consider switching to a 5w30 on the next oil change, just to see if it makes a difference????? Suggestions?

You won't hurt anything with 5W-30, and it will reduce wear if you tow frequently. Many of us run 5W-30 regardless of which Hemi we have (I have the 6.4L for which they spec hellcat oil 0W-40, which is overkill for the truck - I'm not racing the truck). The only impact some guys have seen is maybe a decimal point or two reduction in fuel economy. Not a big deal.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When my sender went bad on my 2014 I added a tee and some good line to a mechanical gauge mounted in my dash .It took all the guess work out of the equation

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You won't hurt anything with 5W-30, and it will reduce wear if you tow frequently. Many of us run 5W-30 regardless of which Hemi we have (I have the 6.4L for which they spec hellcat oil 0W-40, which is overkill for the truck - I'm not racing the truck). The only impact some guys have seen is maybe a decimal point or two reduction in fuel economy. Not a big deal. Not to mention odometer mileage could possibly image.jpgland you in 5-40 land

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I stopped into the local dealer today and talked to the service writer and to a tech guy. Both agreed that my oil pressure is in spec and there are no worries. I asked about changing to 5w30 or 0w30 and they both agreed that 5w20 is the proper weight oil for my hemi and for maintaining the MDS system and the warranty.

I’ve got 47,000 miles on the truck and it has a 100,000 mile power train warranty being a certified used vehicle.

The service writer kiddingly said, “don’t worry, if it blows up we’ll fix it”!! Haha