Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I bought the truck in February had no issue up until last week, when p1524 code popped up, and my oil pressure at idle would stay at 27 and during driving it would not go above 31. Freaked out a little, after a little research found out its a oil filter issue. Got a new oil change using Pup full synthetic 5w30 and a k&n oil filter. My idle pressure will range anywhere between 33-38, when I cruise it will be in the 40s,when I accelerate and go to 3500+ rpm my oil pressure jumps to in the 50s. When I stop at a stop sign my oil pressure drops down to 31, and sometimes in the mid 35s.
Is this Normal, or should I be worried.
P. S. I erased the p1524 code and it hasn't come back, drove about 100 miles.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I bought the truck in February had no issue up until last week, when p1524 code popped up, and my oil pressure at idle would stay at 27 and during driving it would not go above 31. Freaked out a little, after a little research found out its a oil filter issue. Got a new oil change using Pup full synthetic 5w30 and a k&n oil filter. My idle pressure will range anywhere between 33-38, when I cruise it will be in the 40s,when I accelerate and go to 3500+ rpm my oil pressure jumps to in the 50s. When I stop at a stop sign my oil pressure drops down to 31, and sometimes in the mid 35s.
Is this Normal, or should I be worried.
P. S. I erased the p1524 code and it hasn't come back, drove about 100 miles.
That is pretty typical oil pressure for a 4 year old 5.7 HEMI. Yours is pretty normal compared to what I see on a daily basis at my dealership. Glad you were able to figure out that the oil filter was your problem.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What was wrong with the oil filter? Wrong kind, clogged up?

OP
OP
S

Shadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was wrong with the oil filter? Wrong kind, clogged up?
The dealership I got it from was a Chevy Dealership, they used some cheap blend of oil and Pos unbranded filter. It was clogged after 1500 miles.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good catch. D@#n Chevy dealership.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You need to be a little more accurate if you want accurate info, like what is the psi at a certain exact rpm, like 2 or 3k or whatever. Why would the filter be clogged? Maybe needs a pcv? From what you say psi is lower then mine. Increasing viscosity to increase psi works, but that doesn't necessarily mean the oil is getting where it needs to be, flow versus psi. But I like sticking with 30 weight, and until you figure it out think about additives that help lubricate as well, lubegard biotech with protect the metal a bit.

Check everything simple first, hopefully it isn't oil pump. There is nothing else wrong? Not sluggish when you put hammer down? No burning oil smell, which can come from aforementioned pcv. Can you discuss the "clogged" filter in detail?

how many miles on truck?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If there was no other issue, it could be a faulty psi reading. But when you say clogged filter, matched with code and low psi reading, then it looks like maybe you should investigate.

OP
OP
S

Shadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to be a little more accurate if you want accurate info, like what is the psi at a certain exact rpm, like 2 or 3k or whatever. Why would the filter be clogged? Maybe needs a pcv? From what you say psi is lower then mine. Increasing viscosity to increase psi works, but that doesn't necessarily mean the oil is getting where it needs to be, flow versus psi. But I like sticking with 30 weight, and until you figure it out think about additives that help lubricate as well, lubegard biotech with protect the metal a bit.

Check everything simple first, hopefully it isn't oil pump. There is nothing else wrong? Not sluggish when you put hammer down? No burning oil smell, which can come from aforementioned pcv. Can you discuss the "clogged" filter in detail?

how many miles on truck?
Around 1500 to 2000 its in the 40s,when I 3000 and above it goes to 50s, psi wise. I don't have any sluggishness, no burning smell.
I think the filter was clogged or faulty, not too sure but reading the forums that's what I gathered, cause after I changed it the oil and the filter the oil pressure went up during idle and during drive.
Again I think the oil filter was the main culprit. If you just look up the code on YouTube you will see a detailed description.
The truck only has 45600 miles. I barely put two thousand since purchase.

OP
OP
S

Shadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there was no other issue, it could be a faulty psi reading. But when you say clogged filter, matched with code and low psi reading, then it looks like maybe you should investigate.
I don't know what the chevy dealership used, I don't know the quality of the oil or the filter. Filter looked like some unbranded ****** filter.
And speaking of additives I used lucas oil stabilize and risoline compression builder.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w20 operating visc is 9
5w30 operating viscosity is 12
lucas stabilzer operating viscosity is 110
lucas synthetic stabilzer operating viscosity is 45

So your current viscosity is either 26 if you used top stabilizer, or 17 if you used synthetic one. So it's either a 60 weight, or it's a light 50 weight, in your sump right now. The good news is that product will likely shear down in use, but you do have thick oil right now. Plus that other additive you added, don't know about that. Normally I would not suggest stacking additives, but lubegard wont do any harm to that, and will add additives not viscosity. Something to consider, some additives are moly, some are harmful chlorinated products, and some are oil thickners, you used an oil thickner, lubegard is a moly additive, and a thin one.

OP
OP
S

Shadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5w20 operating visc is 9
5w30 operating viscosity is 12
lucas stabilzer operating viscosity is 110
lucas synthetic stabilzer operating viscosity is 45

So your current viscosity is either 26 if you used top stabilizer, or 17 if you used synthetic one. So it's either a 60 weight, or it's a light 50 weight, in your sump right now. The good news is that product will likely shear down in use, but you do have thick oil right now. Plus that other additive you added, don't know about that. Normally I would not suggest stacking additives, but lubegard wont do any harm to that, and will add additives not viscosity. Something to consider, some additives are moly, some are harmful chlorinated products, and some are oil thickners, you used an oil thickner, lubegard is a moly additive, and a thin one.
Used the synthetic one

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmmmm... you sure it was a P1524 code? I ask because, a couple weeks ago, my 2016, 2500, 6.4 threw a P1524 which, according to the Autozone diagnosis, was, most likely, the oil pressure switch. I changed it out and eventually the code cleared but came back the following day. Went to the dealership and the diagnosis was, "oil pressure out of range - camshaft advance disabled. oil pressure sensor not reading."

They re-replaced the oil pressure switch with an official Mopar unit and drove it around for an hour or so. They declared it good to go but warned it could be something else; to bring it back if the CEL returns. Got maybe 3 miles home when that happened.

Well, turns out the official FCA solution to my problem is to replace the engine! Sounds a bit extreme to me, rather like buying a new vehicle when the floormats get dirty but I'm not exactly savvy on the tech side of the issue. SO, I'm driving a Dodge Journey (yippee!) while waiting for a backordered, reman 6.4 Hemi to become available! No ETA on that yet as this just happened 2 days ago.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Campdemon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 2500 that just showed this code today. Hopefully it’s just the sensor for me and not a engine