Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ccastiel34

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello fellow enthusiast
I have a 2013 Ram Sport. Had the problems with the cam and lifters. Replaced the cam, lifters and later installed a Hellcat high volume oil pump. Love the new oil pressure at idle. Now receiving code PO524 oil pressure to low. Oil pressure is never low, plus oil level is correct. Replaced oil pressure sensor and erased code. 80 miles later...trouble code returns. Wondering if oil pressure parameters need to be readjusted with a tuner? Completely stomped....

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked the oil pressure with a legit gauge? If so, what are you seeing at hot idle (in gear)?

I have a vehicle that after it warms up, the oil pressure drops from normal (cold) to 10 psi (hot, in gear at idle). It's a GM vehicle. No noises, it runs fine and at road speed she goes up to ~25-28. Not great but within a 'safe' range. She's gonna get a rebuild next spring. But the oil pressure definitely drops when it's warm/hot at idle. I'm using a certified 0-60 gauge. In fact I also have a 0-30 psi gauge too for low-pressure applications I can double-check against ..lol. Some gauges range 0-200 and if it's a cheapie, you might want to try another gauge just to check.

I haven't looked on the Rams, but ...there's only one oil pressure gauge, right?? (I should know, but I don't)

OP
OP
Ccastiel34

Ccastiel34

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have around 37 to 41 psi during idle while in gear, and around 80psi at normal driving. The only gage I referenced was the electric gage in my dash but I will purchase a external gage this weekend to physically check the pressure. Thanks for the input!

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
My 2014 5.7l with 170k miles will show the following oil pressures at idle

Engine tempoil agePSI
ColdFresh60
ColdOld50
HotFresh45
HotOld30

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You 'might' be able to rent one for free from OReilly's or Autozone (if they have them). Double-check what thread fitting you need for the engine-side adapter ...to the oil pressure testing hose, first so you can ensure whatever you get will have the adapter you need. In case it's uncommon adapter (and not part of the kit). It's probably a common adapter ..but worth looking up in advance. The one for my Hummer is a real uncommon adapter ...so I just made one.

It's a tool that sits in the bottom of a lot of guys' toolbox for years unused ..till they need it. But handy to have if you do engine/car work.

Let us know what you get...

Last edited:

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the 3.6? I remember a couple people on the chrysler minivan forum where a bad oil filter cause oil pressure codes.