Oil pressure!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tl806

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2012 1500 5.7. 150k miles. So while driving today my check engine light came on and all of the sudden my oil pressure went up to and stayed around 80psi while driving about 50mph. I just changed oil 3k miles ago. Pennzoil Ultra Plat syn 5-20 with royal purple oil filter. This is all I have ever used. Any ideas? I’ll have it scanned at Autozone later after work.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2012 1500 5.7. 150k miles. So while driving today my check engine light came on and all of the sudden my oil pressure went up to and stayed around 80psi while driving about 50mph. I just changed oil 3k miles ago. Pennzoil Ultra Plat syn 5-20 with royal purple oil filter. This is all I have ever used. Any ideas? I’ll have it scanned at Autozone later after work.
Oil pressure sensor might of went south.When mine went,it would read upwards of 99 psi at idle.

OP
OP
T

Tl806

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It drops at idle and in “run” but not started it reads normal. If it’s a sensor is there any risk of driving it until it’s fixed?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It drops at idle and in “run” but not started it reads normal. If it’s a sensor is there any risk of driving it until it’s fixed?
If the sensor isn't leaking you'll be okay driving it,but keep an eye on it.That's as long as it is the sensor,but usually the only thing that will cause a oil pressure rise like that,is the sensor,but to be safe you can remove it and screw a master mechanical gauge into the port and check the pressure.
They aren't that expensive or hard to change,even somebody with no mechanical skills can swap the oil pressure sensor.There's lots of youtube video's showing how to change the sensor