Oil smoke from exhaust!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2015 1500 hemi 199k ... I purchased the truck (first Hemi) for 500$! so I knew it had issues... Lol The previous owner(a long time friend...def not a mechanic! Lol) said it blew up and had me tow it home for him. After purchasing it, I found the battery was weak and the truck wouldn't run... Only start and die! After puting a fresh battery on it, it started and ran! And the motor sounded great actually!.. But was burning oil from somewhere! Now, this truck was his daily driver and it hadn't smoked up til he "blew the motor"! Now, I would think the rings would generally wear out over time, but would also think it would have been smoking a while... As bad as it's currently smoking! Could the rings have broken or is there somewhere else I should be looking? Like a common problem with Hemis... such as the intake gaskets on my 3.8s! Or do you believe it's the rings and I need to rebuild it? Thanks for any input!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What color is the smoke? If it is blue the fuel is mixing with the oil and is rings.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Was throwing some odd codes though. I'll have to run them again and post them in a few minutes

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
P0456, p0457,p0441, p0197,u1110,u11bc, and O2sensor codes and misfires due to O2 sensors being gone(stolen cats ) but wouldn't think that would cause it to white smoke?!?

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So once I find out which cylinder it is, can I drop the oil pan and pull the crank and replace the rings from the bottom?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With all of those codes and running poorly, that is the most likely culprit. You can rule out pcv by cleaning it and valves as well. I would fix it before sending more of that smoke through the Cats unless you will replace that anyhow.

My guess is you have to remove the head, havent really thought about accessing it from below. I like the idea though.,

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also... Where is the pcv valve located on these engines? That's not a bad thing to check! Loll

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They've got to be "replaced" lol because they were stolen(with O2 sensors)
sometimes I wish I was in Iran, they do get some things right, off with those hands, lol.

If it's a hemi, its in the back.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With all of those codes and running poorly, that is the most likely culprit. You can rule out pcv by cleaning it and valves as well. I would fix it before sending more of that smoke through the Cats unless you will replace that anyhow.

My guess is you have to remove the head, havent really thought about accessing it from below. I like the idea though.,
Seems like it would work... Like doing an In-frame on a diesel truck! I can get a set of rings cheap enough... And if that's all that's wrong with it... Might as well pull crank and throw new bearings in it!

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sometimes I wish I was in Iran, they do get some things right, off with those hands, lol.

If it's a hemi, its in the back.
Lol. Thanks, I'll check it out today! Yeah, but luckily I live in Texas! So... I probably would've deleted them anyway!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seems like it would work... Like doing an In-frame on a diesel truck! I can get a set of rings cheap enough... And if that's all that's wrong with it... Might as well pull crank and throw new bearings in it!
By the time you pull the heads and oil pan off in chassis,you're farther ahead pulling the engine and doing a ring and bearing job on an engine stand,especially if it's a 4X4.Pulling the oil pan off a 4X4 means dropping the front diff down,and then working around it to replace main bearings and unbolting the rod caps to pull the pistons out the top.If you're that far into it,you might want to replace the cam and lifters if they've never been done. If he over heated it,there's a chance it's also warped the heads. You might also need to replace a piston,as it's not uncommon for a 5.7 to butt the ring ends together and pop the top ringland,you could pull the plugs and take a look in the cylinders and see if it popped a ring land,as they're usually easy to spot with a borescope

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the truck is still in good shape with 200K on the engine, save yourself some potential down the road issues and buy a good rebuilt short block

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its a 2
By the time you pull the heads and oil pan off in chassis,you're farther ahead pulling the engine and doing a ring and bearing job on an engine stand,especially if it's a 4X4.Pulling the oil pan off a 4X4 means dropping the front diff down,and then working around it to replace main bearings and unbolting the rod caps to pull the pistons out the top.If you're that far into it,you might want to replace the cam and lifters if they've never been done. If he over heated it,there's a chance it's also warped the heads. You might also need to replace a piston,as it's not uncommon for a 5.7 to butt the ring ends together and pop the top ringland,you could pull the plugs and take a look in the cylinders and see if it popped a ring land,as they're usually easy to spot with a borescope
It's a 2Wd... Why would I HAVE to pull the heads off? Just curious!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Its a 2

It's a 2Wd... Why would I HAVE to pull the heads off? Just curious!
Pistons don't come out the bottom ,so i'm not sure how you'd replace the rings with-out removing the heads .Gas motors aren't like a diesal,the pistons won't come out past the blocks crank main saddles,they have to go out the top,so consequently you're pulling the heads off to get at the piston rings

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No ****?? They won't come out the bottom? That complicates things! So much for doing it cheaply! thanks
Off the top of my head i can't remember any North American made V8 gas engine that you can pull the pistons out the bottom,that's strictly heavy duty diesal engine only territory