Oil smoke from exhaust!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just saying man, this will save you all kinds of headaches. Just swap and done.
I'm sure it would be... But you seen I paid 500 for it right? I'm broke as hell.... Gotta do it as cheap as possible... Too many kids! Lol Probably just get new bearings, rings, timing chain, water pump and thermostat and hope and pray that I don't find anything else wrong with it that can't be handled with some emery cloth! The motor sounds fine... Great even... It just smokes pretty bad! I've still got to pull plugs and run a compression test when I have the time and see which cylinder has the problem. I'm guessing the rings broke somehow?!? Like I said... It was a running daily driving truck... Then it died on the previous owner (a good friend)(I'm assumes it was because of the battery because I put a hot one on it and it fired up and ran! and it started smoking after I got it home and started with new battery! I would've thought it would've BEEN smoking if the rings were worn out.. but I'm not sure what's up yet. Will keep progress posted!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Run a compression check on all the cylinders, and see if they are low or one, 2 that are off from the rest
Look at the plugs and see if any look oily Rings don't usually suddenly go bad, unless something broke.
If you have no pipes, don't suppose you can really test drive and get it warmed up good.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said it looks primarily white smoke. Are you sure it didn't blow the head gasket? That could cause a lot of thick white smoke if it's dumping coolant into the cylinder.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update... Started the truck today and NO SMOKE at all!?!? Still need O2 sensors and cats but... What would cause it to smoke then NOT smoke a bit???

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Update... Started the truck today and NO SMOKE at all!?!? Still need O2 sensors and cats but... What would cause it to smoke then NOT smoke a bit???
What all did you do to it,did you replace the PCV? If it's not smoking,do a tune-up on it,ie: new plugs/air filter/PCV if you haven't replaced it/clean the throttle body/ change oil and fluids and drive it. The old school antifoulers or the new mini cats would be your cheapest option around having to replace the cats.

winkenstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum V8 5.9L 360
Does the smoke start to disappear after the trucks all warmed up?
Or maybe a better way to ask is...
Does it only blow smoke when it's first started up as in when it's been sitting overnight?

Have you considered or thought that maybe you have a condensation issue going on?

Maybe the exhaust is damp inside the pipes and it's just burning off the dew?
Maybe it's just lots of steam?
If that's what is going on, then no harm in my opinion.

anyway...
It was Just a thought...

I'm the farthest thing from an mechanic
Just a guy with a thought/idea...

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What all did you do to it,did you replace the PCV? If it's not smoking,do a tune-up on it,ie: new plugs/air filter/PCV if you haven't replaced it/clean the throttle body/ change oil and fluids and drive it. The old school antifoulers or the new mini cats would be your cheapest option around having to replace the cats.

Yeah... I didn't do anything other than start it and rev it up a few times last time I started it.... Since no cats! And it smoked heavily last time... Maybe it had some oil in a vacuum line or something! Lol. I am still going to change fluids and do a tune-up, pcv valve and get a couple of O2 sensors for it and I've got a couple of non-foulers and some pipe and a welder! Then I'll try driving it and see what it does... I told the previous owner that I got it started... and he couldn't believe it! It was a score regardless, but it might just be a home run! Lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah... I didn't do anything other than start it and rev it up a few times last time I started it.... Since no cats! And it smoked heavily last time... Maybe it had some oil in a vacuum line or something! Lol. I am still going to change fluids and do a tune-up, pcv valve and get a couple of O2 sensors for it and I've got a couple of non-foulers and some pipe and a welder! Then I'll try driving it and see what it does... I told the previous owner that I got it started... and he couldn't believe it! It was a score regardless, but it might just be a home run! Lol
With that many miles it might have a bit of blowby,and if it did alot of slow driving in high vacumn mode,it might have sucked a bunch of oily crap through the PCV system,and deposited it inside the intake manifold.They do have a habit of oil puddling inside the intake,and by reving it up,you might have sucked things clean.If it was my truck,i'd tune it up/change fluids and install a catch can on the PCV line,then take it out and give it a couple decent hard runs with some good deacceleration/coasts down a hill thrown into the mix,to suck the manifold clean if it does have a bit of oil puddling in it,then drive it,lol

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah... I think your right! And that's exactly what I plan to do! Got 5 kids, so it'll be a good truck for the old lady to haul kids around in! With working a/c and heater... Lol just got to keep an eye on it and maybe go ahead and throw a new water pump/thermostat and timing chain on it shortly and drive it until it shows some sign of a problem again! Anyways... I wanted to say thanks to everyone who had any input! And I'll keep y'all updated when I find out more. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now... Bravo!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So once I find out which cylinder it is, can I drop the oil pan and pull the crank and replace the rings from the bottom?
I don't believe the piston will clear the crankshaft trying to pull them out the bottom, unless, of course the crankshaft is removed. That's not a labor saving scenario, either.

I have only seen a few 5.7 Hemis pulling oil past the rings, even on some very high mileage ones. I would suspect it's more likely a PCV problem, excessive sludge in the heads (poor oil return), or bad valve guide seals.

However, a compression test should be performed on all cylinders first.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79879 miles

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes sir, Thanks Dusty! I
I don't believe the piston will clear the crankshaft trying to pull them out the bottom, unless, of course the crankshaft is removed. That's not a labor saving scenario, either.

I have only seen a few 5.7 Hemis pulling oil past the rings, even on some very high mileage ones. I would suspect it's more likely a PCV problem, excessive sludge in the heads (poor oil return), or bad valve guide seals.

However, a compression test should be performed on all cylinders first.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79879 miles
Am going to put in a new pcv valve and new fluids and fix the exhaust and O2 sensors and drive it a bit and see if any other issues show up ... I was thinking maybe the rings spun and the gaps lined up temporarily or something... But I guess we will see! Lol. Thanks for the help!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes sir, Thanks Dusty! I

Am going to put in a new pcv valve and new fluids and fix the exhaust and O2 sensors and drive it a bit and see if any other issues show up ... I was thinking maybe the rings spun and the gaps lined up temporarily or something... But I guess we will see! Lol. Thanks for the help!
If you're doing the plugs,spend the money on one of these sockets,they'll make your life a whole lot nicer

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pistons don't come out the bottom ,so i'm not sure how you'd replace the rings with-out removing the heads .Gas motors aren't like a diesal,the pistons won't come out past the blocks crank main saddles,they have to go out the top,so consequently you're pulling the heads off to get at the piston rings
...and you'll really struggle to get a ring compressor on the pistons to reinsert them back into the block.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80003 miles