Oil to use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodgeram1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 with a Hemi. This is not my first Ram with a Hemi, I also had 2003, now my son has it. My 03 had a lifter tick at cold start-up, it would go away shortly after start up. I guess I didn’t think it was a big deal, because it has almost 200k miles, it’s gonna make some noise with that many miles IMO. But with the 2012 I bought, it has a constant tick. When it’s warmed up, it’s minimal. It’s at its worst at cold start up. I’ve heard it can be quieted down with oil. I don’t know what to use in it for oil. I used 5w30 Valvoline High Mileage in my 03. But, with the 2012, I see 5w20 is recommended. But I’ve seen all kinds of recommendations, but after reading some of the threads, I’m confused on what to put in it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its all going to be trial and error. Honestly no two Hemi's are the same. My 12 likes Castrol edge and a puralator boss filter. Others like redline, others like mobil 1, others like PUP. I would start with running seafoam in your crank case and driving it fairly easy at 60 mph for 100 miles and dump it. Mine ticked and that helped clean it out. Redline is known to stop the tick. You could do what I do as well and run Castrol edge and a lube guard. Lots of good info on here. @Burla knows a lot about what oils and combos work. Welcome also! Nice looking truck!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 with a Hemi. This is not my first Ram with a Hemi, I also had 2003, now my son has it. My 03 had a lifter tick at cold start-up, it would go away shortly after start up. I guess I didn’t think it was a big deal, because it has almost 200k miles, it’s gonna make some noise with that many miles IMO. But with the 2012 I bought, it has a constant tick. When it’s warmed up, it’s minimal. It’s at its worst at cold start up. I’ve heard it can be quieted down with oil. I don’t know what to use in it for oil. I used 5w30 Valvoline High Mileage in my 03. But, with the 2012, I see 5w20 is recommended. But I’ve seen all kinds of recommendations, but after reading some of the threads, I’m confused on what to put in it.
Here are the threads, note polls and success rates of many ram forum members. You can add lubegard to current oil and see if it changes at all, and always make sure oil is full. Use a royal purple 20-820 or amsoil ea filter. So far the best is 5w30 redline in warm areas, you might want 0w30 redline in snow states.

Redline 5w30 and royal purple filter

Lubegard and royal purple filter

There are two causes of hemi tick and can sound identical because it is the same cadence. If you upload a youtube I can listen and see what I can figure on it. The other cause is exhaust bolts.

OP
OP
Dodgeram1977

Dodgeram1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Its all going to be trial and error. Honestly no two Hemi's are the same. My 12 likes Castrol edge and a puralator boss filter. Others like redline, others like mobil 1, others like PUP. I would start with running seafoam in your crank case and driving it fairly easy at 60 mph for 100 miles and dump it. Mine ticked and that helped clean it out. Redline is known to stop the tick. You could do what I do as well and run Castrol edge and a lube guard. Lots of good info on here. @Burla knows a lot about what oils and combos work. Welcome also! Nice looking truck!
Thank you very much!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I agree with post above. If you haven't already, check what is actually causing it.
Based on what you said, my guess would be one or more bolts are broken.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
You should be using oil that has the FCA Standard MS-6395 nothing wrong with 5W-20 or you could go to 5W-30. The ticking issue could be as others has said exhaust bolts, or even the dreaded lifter issues some RAMs have. Oil brands is a personal choice except for the MS-6395 listing on the can. Have a super day!

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5w-20 MOBIL 1 extended Performance, only way to go. Good luck.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Put in the recommended oil for the engine in the vehicle based on the air temperatures where you drive. Even more important with a multi-grade motor oil where polymer shearing can result in increased bearing wear.

2017 and later engines use a different oil as the engine tolerances are much tighter so as to allow for using lower viscosity motor oil to improve fuel economy.

Sash

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram1500
its hard to beat Penzoil ultra platinum. I have used for many year in my hemi engines, this last change I used redline 5w30 and so far I love it smooth and quiet

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The common recommendation is synthetic. I use the Penzoil Ultra Platinum also. When you can find it on a big sale at Amazon or another store, it's not too bad priced. Was your truck made in Mexico? Some say these were the 'better' Rams. Seem to have fewer lifter issues.

You forgot to ask, which filter was the best! ha ha. That was just beaten to death too. Do a search for oil and filter for lot more details. Those have been beaten to death in other threads. I don't have the energy for another "What's the best Oil/Filter" debate.

I don't know what manual you have, but there's also the extra-large (extended) owners manual you can download off the Stellantis site (or buy on ebay). It's a solid 2 1/4" thick! If you like reading owner's manuals (like me), it's a lot more comprehensive.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My new-to-me 2019 Hemi (34,000 miles) occasionally ticks on startup when warm. When I start it cold there is no ticking. But if I drive it about 30 minutes or so, shut it off, let it sit for an hour, and start it up, I ticks a few seconds and stops. Doesn’t do it every time but often enough to concern me.

I changed oil to valvoline 5w20 full synthetic after I bought it. Today I’m changing to Royal Purple 5w30 to see if that makes a difference. I use royal purple filters. We’ll see.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classic start ticking at 25.000km with shell rotella full synthetic 5w20 ,so I go back to conventional 5w20 and mopar oil filter,the tick come down to 70-80% and after 2500km dissapeared completely ,now is a quaiet as brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota