Oil Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had to stop by and chuckle at 'orl'. That's a Hoosier thing too, at least here in southeast Indiana. Took a little getting used to when I first moved out here!

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rephrase that again - that is the only place that says that.
Go to the Mobl site for Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 European Car Formula - it doesn't meet the MS
As Dean2 said in Post #14 - that wouldn't keep me from using it if I absolutely couldn't find Pennzoil.

Last edited:

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Thanks, I figured I was reading it right. It just kind of surprised me. Where have you found that weight? I was in WM last week and thought I'd go look, but none of the brands had that.
Stores shelves are pretty bad still from my experience. I order a lot of stuff online.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Chrysler/Mopar for at least the last 30 years
Has had a system that is still used today

To be a motor oil Certified by Chrysler/Mopar
They had to have a test area with X amount of engines & a series of tests that have to be preformed
The oil company also has to pay for Chryslers Engineers to take part in the testing. That is a multi month testing period

So it costs a fortune for any oil company to be Certified by Chrysler/Mopar
Say, for instance, 3 companies are vying for that Certification.
Only one company can Win the Bid.

For many years, Mobile One was the Certified brand, i don't know just when the were the bid winners, it was back in the Generation 3 Dodge Ram time period.
Mobile One was also the Certified Oil supplier in 2009 & 2010

Valvoline won the bid in 2011 & possibly 2012

Mobile One withdrew from even trying to Certify with Chrysler/Mopar
mostly because they did the math

Special Lab & paying for Chryslers Engineers to stand over Mobil's own engineers
when compared to Mobil's Market Share.
Mobil realized they could just sell oil without competing for Chrysler Certification with other oil companies & save money

Since Valvoline lost or withdrew from the Certification process
Shell Oil has been the Certified Oil for Chrysler/Mopar

Nothing really is saying that Mobile One or many other oil companies can't meet Chrysler/Mopar Standards.
Those Oil companies just are not willing to go through the stringent testing & cost that Chrysler/Mopar certification demands
Quote from another thread on oil. I found that information both interesting and informative.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quote from another thread on oil. I found that information both interesting and informative.

We're talking about the 6.4L in a 2500 here, not the 5.7L in a 1500

brucie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Or, as my old man from Kentucky used to say, "Orl waite."

The manual for my 2023 2500 calls for 0w-40. Is that correct? Is that what they put in at the factory? I've seen 5w-XX before, but never 0w-anything.
From the manual for the 2019 6.4:
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends
engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633.

Finding a 0w-40 is less difficult than finding a MS-12633 0W-40. Pennsoil makes it, Valveoline makes it and a few other manufacturers make it, but not Mobile 1. Usually if it is noted "for European Cars", it will not be MS-12633, but not always. The Valvoline oil says both.

I started to change my own oil after my dealer screwed up two oil changes in a row. Once, not torqing the drain plug tight enough and the second time, not putting enough oil in. I just order the Pennsoil quantity 6 case from Amazon and always have a few extra quarts to provide the 7th quart needed. https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550...BSV0lPUDAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or, as my old man from Kentucky used to say, "Orl waite."

The manual for my 2023 2500 calls for 0w-40. Is that correct? Is that what they put in at the factory? I've seen 5w-XX before, but never 0w-anything.
Yep, 0W-40 is the new preferred weight. This weight will work great in your rig, go with it.

BDL70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have any of you used Costco Oil for a Third Gen(or any Gen) Ram1500?
Opinions on AMSOIL ?

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ok, just my 2 cents worth.. If the manufacturer specifies a particular grade of oil, meeting very specific values I would probably heed their recommendations. They didn't just pull this out of their butts. They most certainly tested countless types, weights and combinations before coming up with the specification. PENZOIL 0-40 Ultra is available from AMAZON I have found and for a reasonable price. If you want to screw around and experiment fine but when something catastrophic happens I am sorry but it's on you. Most owners I have found, that follow the manufactures recommendations don't usually have issues and if they do and want to fall back on the manufacturer at least they have the maintenance requirements backed up.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Ok, just my 2 cents worth.. If the manufacturer specifies a particular grade of oil, meeting very specific values I would probably heed their recommendations. They didn't just pull this out of their butts. They most certainly tested countless types, weights and combinations before coming up with the specification. PENZOIL 0-40 Ultra is available from AMAZON I have found and for a reasonable price. If you want to screw around and experiment fine but when something catastrophic happens I am sorry but it's on you. Most owners I have found, that follow the manufactures recommendations don't usually have issues and if they do and want to fall back on the manufacturer at least they have the maintenance requirements backed up.

Manufacturers also contract with oil suppliers for whoever gives them the best volume deal. It's why every so many years a manufacturer will switch from whatever they are using to a different brand. I wouldn't read in to brand all that much. Or even oil weight.

You also have to take in to consideration that manufacturers are pulling every trick in the book to scrounge up every last fraction of a percent of fuel efficiency. That means moving to lighter weight oils. Just look at the Pentastar 3.6 over it's life span. Having started with 5w30, then moved to 5w20 in 2014, then 0w20 in 2017. Not much changed on the engine itself except for the addition of VVT. Internal part numbers changed, but the parts are interchangeable. As in the pistons from a 2023 will work in a 2012. Lighter oil, less resistance, more efficiency, higher failure rate. The move to 5w20 saw an uptick in lifter failures. When they moved to 0w20 is when we saw a significant increase in lifter failures.

Point being. Don't read too much in to what a manufacturer recommends. As a large part of that comes down to their bottom line on cost and meeting fleet wide fuel efficiency requirements. The whole "tighter tolerances" is complete bullshtuff. They're as tight as they can be, and have been for 15+ years, without having thermal expansion interference. Go ask any machine shop or reputable engine builder.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the manual for the 2019 6.4:
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends
engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633.

Finding a 0w-40 is less difficult than finding a MS-12633 0W-40. Pennsoil makes it, Valveoline makes it and a few other manufacturers make it, but not Mobile 1. Usually if it is noted "for European Cars", it will not be MS-12633, but not always. The Valvoline oil says both.

I started to change my own oil after my dealer screwed up two oil changes in a row. Once, not torqing the drain plug tight enough and the second time, not putting enough oil in. I just order the Pennsoil quantity 6 case from Amazon and always have a few extra quarts to provide the 7th quart needed. https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856-6PK-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B00JMCCE6U/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=2793SK8423PA4&keywords=oil+for+2019+ram+2500+gas&qid=1685979877&replacementKeywords=oil+for+ram+gas&sprefix=oil+for+2019+ram+2500+gas,aps,103&sr=8-7-spons&vehicle=2019-1168-16228------------&vehicleName=2019+Ram+2500&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOFcyVDdFUkxIQzJXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTYzNTY2TzBSODhFWVFOWkdBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNjUyMjFZUFhCRTBSV0lPUDAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Can the administrators PLEASE add a spell correction for Mobile to Mobil ??????

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manufacturers also contract with oil suppliers for whoever gives them the best volume deal. It's why every so many years a manufacturer will switch from whatever they are using to a different brand. I wouldn't read in to brand all that much. Or even oil weight.

You also have to take in to consideration that manufacturers are pulling every trick in the book to scrounge up every last fraction of a percent of fuel efficiency. That means moving to lighter weight oils. Just look at the Pentastar 3.6 over it's life span. Having started with 5w30, then moved to 5w20 in 2014, then 0w20 in 2017. Not much changed on the engine itself except for the addition of VVT. Internal part numbers changed, but the parts are interchangeable. As in the pistons from a 2023 will work in a 2012. Lighter oil, less resistance, more efficiency, higher failure rate. The move to 5w20 saw an uptick in lifter failures. When they moved to 0w20 is when we saw a significant increase in lifter failures.

Point being. Don't read too much in to what a manufacturer recommends. As a large part of that comes down to their bottom line on cost and meeting fleet wide fuel efficiency requirements. The whole "tighter tolerances" is complete bullshtuff. They're as tight as they can be, and have been for 15+ years, without having thermal expansion interference. Go ask any machine shop or reputable engine builder.

"Manufacturers also contract with oil suppliers for whoever gives them the best volume deal."

Ram has testing standards for their oil. They only recommend the OIL that passes the test. That is why there are so few oils that meed MS 12633

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never liked Pennzoil, back in the 70's before all the synthetic oils came out. I changed 2 intake manifolds on V engines that ran Pennzoil. Both manifolds were caked in oil residue about an inch thick waxy substance. On my Pontiac firebird I had the engine rebuilt and I couldn't get the lifters to pump up. I switched to Shell Fire and Ice. Now I'm running Shell Rotella 15w40. Next oil change I'm switching to synthetic.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
"Manufacturers also contract with oil suppliers for whoever gives them the best volume deal."

Ram has testing standards for their oil. They only recommend the OIL that passes the test. That is why there are so few oils that meed MS 12633
Pennzoil is the only oil that meets MS 12633 because Pennzoil was the only oil that PAID FCA for the certification or it was part of their volume contract. Certification is not cheap. There are other oils on the market that meet or exceed MS 12633 which are not certified. Red Line Performance 0w40 far exceeds the standard. They just didn't pay FCA for a little stamp of approval.

Those certifications are a racket. Which is why vehicle manufacturers only "recommend" things. It's part of their contract to recommend things. If it was required they'd be forced to supply it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Read bitog, there is nothing special about Rams specs. It just costs a ton of money to get there.

Many, many oils actually say "meets/exceeds" those specs. They just can't say "certified" because they didn't pay for the certification.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never liked Pennzoil, back in the 70's before all the synthetic oils came out. I changed 2 intake manifolds on V engines that ran Pennzoil. Both manifolds were caked in oil residue about an inch thick waxy substance. On my Pontiac firebird I had the engine rebuilt and I couldn't get the lifters to pump up. I switched to Shell Fire and Ice. Now I'm running Shell Rotella 15w40. Next oil change I'm switching to synthetic.
I stopped using Penzoil in the 80's for that reason. I dropped an oil pan and there was a half inch of waxy gunk in the bottom.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read bitog, there is nothing special about Rams specs. It just costs a ton of money to get there.

Many, many oils actually say "meets/exceeds" those specs. They just can't say "certified" because they didn't pay for the certification.
How much is a "ton"????????????

Do you seriously think Mobi1 would miss out on selling oil for a few dollars??????????

Please, everything isn't a conspiracy theory.