Oil ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got to love those 12 holes! For some reason I tend to stay sway from filters with only 6 holes and usually end up with 8's mostly. Probably doesn't make much difference though one way or the other. I haven't bought a K&N filter either since they moved production to Mexico several years ago either.
I like the Amsoil filters but they only have 6 holes, like you said I don't know if it really makes a difference or not, just a mental thing I guess. Been using the Fram ultra with 8 holes plus the grippy stuff on the outside, makes a tight installation by hand a breeze.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the k&n that I had that leaked. As you can see from about the 9 to 1 o'clock location it was rubbing. Center hole was not tapped square to base plate.

You jinxed me. Got to work this morning and, lo and behold, there are TWO drips under my truck. One is A/C condensation, the other does indeed appear to be oil.

Benefits of working at a trucking company, I'm gonna wait till later this afternoon when the shop isn't as busy then pull it over the pit and see what's going on. May just need to snug up the filter, may be the issue you posted about.

Did you contact K&N about your problem? I've used their products for years and never had an issue before. If this is a case of bad design or poor QC on the filters I'm sure going to let them know. VERY disappointing from what is supposed to be a premium brand.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You jinxed me. Got to work this morning and, lo and behold, there are TWO drips under my truck. One is A/C condensation, the other does indeed appear to be oil.

Benefits of working at a trucking company, I'm gonna wait till later this afternoon when the shop isn't as busy then pull it over the pit and see what's going on. May just need to snug up the filter, may be the issue you posted about.

Did you contact K&N about your problem? I've used their products for years and never had an issue before. If this is a case of bad design or poor QC on the filters I'm sure going to let them know. VERY disappointing from what is supposed to be a premium brand.
No, I never contacted k&n. I had read posts by other people that had and the process to get any satisfaction wasn't worth it. First it was improper installation, too loose, too tight, and the few that did, got a free oil filter. I could care less about the filter, it could have very easily cost me my motor, and their only warranty is to replace the filter. I always start mine up on the ramps and get back underneath, visually inspect for leaks plus feel around filter for any leaks. Everything looked good. In a 10 Mile round trip to work and back it had leaked 1/2 qt. I'm just glad I didn't change my oil and take off for the beach, 200 miles away. In over 50 years of changing my own oil I've only had 1 other filter leak, and it was a k&n on my Harley. Figured the second one was it, I'm done, no more k&n.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I never contacted k&n. I had read posts by other people that had and the process to get any satisfaction wasn't worth it. ... I always start mine up on the ramps and get back underneath, visually inspect for leaks plus feel around filter for any leaks. Everything looked good. In a 10 Mile round trip to work and back it had leaked 1/2 qt.

I checked mine after driving to town and back the day of changing it, everything was fine. It hasn't dripped enough yet to be noticeable on the dipstick so I'm hoping this is just a case of the filter being a little loose. Will investigate this afternoon and post up my findings.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn if I had leaked out a 1/2 a quart of Redline I would have been pissed six ways to Sunday.
That happened before I started using redline, it was the first change after I bought the truck and it was Castrol that leaked, so no great loss there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is the k&n that I had that leaked. As you can see from about the 9 to 1 o'clock location it was rubbing. Center hole was not tapped square to base plate. The recommended k&n filter for the hemi is made in Mexico, the larger filter that some are using is made in USA.
6f042fb2e58169648a148e3742001dd8.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I never understood how a filter that butts up to the plate can possible leak, now I know. Never saw a pic like that, yeah that is very poor quality control on the otherwise best paper filter you can buy.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
K&N is a Teir 1 Filter choice. But pay attention to ^^^^"paper filter" they use a resin impregnated medium. Amsoil and Royal Purple us a full synthetic filter medium. But, when you look at the stat reports posted on this forum, you see that these 3 filters are highly effective. I believe all 3 come in at 90+. Must say the 1" convenience nut on the K&N is sweet. But I prefer the other two.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just say don't listen to any of us and not even that posted test, just use it as a guide to what filters you might want to test. Just cut your filter open after use and see for yourself. You at least owe it to yourself to at least try one of the top 3 Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Fram Ultra against whatever paper filter you run. Do a 6 month run on each your filter choice versus anyone of those. I did and that is why I switched. I just didn't wake up one day and say hey I'm a royal purple filter fan. I was running the puro paper and thought I was happy with it until I cut it open. Now, after testing I would never use paper filters again unless it was a very short interval like 3 mos.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updating for those following along at home LOL. Got under the thing and, sure enough, filter was a bit loose. Tightened it about a quarter turn then wiped everything down. Drove to the corner store and back, then let it idle about 5mins in the parking lot. Have not seen any more drips. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it happens again.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Updating for those following along at home LOL. Got under the thing and, sure enough, filter was a bit loose. Tightened it about a quarter turn then wiped everything down. Drove to the corner store and back, then let it idle about 5mins in the parking lot. Have not seen any more drips. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see if it happens again.
The important part is you caught it before any damage and know what to keep a lookout for.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad taught me when i first started changing my oil in my first truck, right after you fill it with oil, get under and check for leaks. Ive done this for 23 years on ALL my vehicles and after many many oil changes and NEVER seeing a leak, ive gotten complacent i admit..... but need to get back in the habit because things happen.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad taught me when i first started changing my oil in my first truck, right after you fill it with oil, get under and check for leaks. Ive done this for 23 years on ALL my vehicles and after many many oil changes and NEVER seeing a leak, ive gotten complacent i admit..... but need to get back in the habit because things happen.

I am one to obsess over things dripping from under my vehicles. I park in the same general area at the office and know every single spot on the pavement, so if something new develops during the course of the day I can dive right under there and check it out. It me a while to get used to our AC systems dripping for so long after they've been switched off, thought I had a fluid leak at first.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am one to obsess over things dripping from under my vehicles. I park in the same general area at the office and know every single spot on the pavement, so if something new develops during the course of the day I can dive right under there and check it out. It me a while to get used to our AC systems dripping for so long after they've been switched off, thought I had a fluid leak at first.

My truck was parked in the yard yesterday so not in the garage, as i walked out the back door i seen the a/c drip spot out of the corner of my eye and couldn't quit staring at it until i finally realized thats what it was. I only did this because i just changed my oil the day before.
For years as well, like dad, kept a temperature gauge in the air vents to monitor the a/c temps just like any other gauge in your car. If theres any variation at all from the "normal" i know something is amiss. Because your can't hardly tell 5 degrees of a/c temp by just feel. Its an OCD thing. I know most people just wait until it blows hot but. Im little different.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder how many accidents in the first rain are caused by oil dripping of vehicles. I had a Ford that dripped transmission oil because when I had the tranny rebuilt the ******** didn't spend 20 bucks on a new rear main seal, they refused to fix it. They said the drip was in "allowable tolerances for dripping" lol. I'd say at least 20-25% of my old vehicles dripping something or another. Multiply that by how many vehicles are on the road. The state of CA charges 50 bucks for "smog" checks but they don't check smog levels, they just make sure the equipment is hooked up. I wonder if they will ever get to what really pollutes the environment, **** dripping off suspensions on the road and then into the river.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how many accidents in the first rain are caused by oil dripping of vehicles. The state of CA charges 50 bucks for "smog" checks but they don't check smog levels, they just make sure the equipment is hooked up. I wonder if they will ever get to what really pollutes the environment, **** dripping off suspensions on the road and then into the river.

The DOT checks all commercial trucks for leaks, but not private vehicles. Fluids on the road are reason to be extra careful when driving in the rain, especially if it hasn't rained for several days/weeks beforehand. Pavement with lubricants soaked into it will get slick as glass.